After update wifi will not connect!

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
I got in contact with Acer Level 2 support this morning, they've confirmed that there is a mini-patch being released to resolve a WIFI connectivity issue on units.

Did they give you any time frame? I'm leaving on a trip soon and it would really be nice to get the update before I leave.

Gerry

AcerTech

Jul 14, 2011
To Resolve the issue with not being able to connect try and do a hardware reset on the unit using a pin, once loaded back up do it once more. The issue should be resolved after this.

lded21

Jul 2, 2011
Haven't seen anyone post a how-to on a solution (assigning a permanent IP address to the Tablet) until ACER decides to fix the REAL issue so here it goes............

In preparation to enter the info - you need to collect some info from your network:
Go to a wired computer or other wireless device (I use windows 7/XP so this is how i did this)

Alternate 1
1. Go to Start
2. In the Run box type CMD and hit Enter - or you can go to All Programs - Accessories then Command Prompt. (i will provide an alternative in a lil bit to this).
3. At the C:\ --command Type ipconfig /all (it will look like this: C:\ipconfig /all)
write down or refer to the information concerning IP, Gateway and DNS 1 and DNS 2 as you will enter that information into the tablet..........

Alternate 2
1. Go to Start then Network Connections
2. Right click on Local Connections (or Wireless connections if active) and go to status.
3. Click Support - then click the details button on the right hand lower corner.

(Make note there are other ways to get your information if you google it - I just wanted to give a couple here)

On your tablet
1. Go to SETTINGS on your tablet
2. Go to WIFI and Networks Settings
3. Click on WIFI Settings
4. Long press the WIFI you want to connect to (this will bring up a menu to modify or forget the network)
5. Choose modify settings.
6. Scroll down to where it states IP Settings *(this should say DHCP by default) -- there is a arrow lower right hand corner of that entry - click that for the drop down menu - (this states Static or DHCP) - Pick Static.

In the fields you need to enter in the following info:

IP Address: (ex) 192.168.4.120
Gateway: (ex) 192.168.4.1
Network Prefix: (this states 24 by default just enter that info in)
DNS 1: (ex) 68.54.82.164 (all sets match usually with DNS 1 and 2 except 3rd set - also DNS 2 third set is generally higher than that of DNS 1)
DNS 2: (ex) 68.54.87.164

Your tablet should connect right away and have no issue with obtaining and IP as you are providing it now. There will be an issue if you pick and ip address ending in 254 or anything higher; Also, you need to make sure no other device has that IP - if it doesn't connect then most like you have picked a number already taken.

Another note to make is that the first 3 sets of numbers needs to match the gateway - or you won't connect to the internet. Below are commone samples.

Gateway: 192.168.4.XXX so your ip has to be 192.168.4.XXX - the gateway last set is generally 1 or 0 (your ip can be anything between 2 and 250)
192.168.1.XXX so your ip has to be 192.168.1.XXX - the gateway last set is generally 1 or 0 (your ip can be anything between 2 and 250)

I hope this helps - if we wait for ACER to fix this ICE Cream will be released -- I think.......let me know if there are problems with these instructions i want this to be easy to complete for the average user.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
What exactly did you do? I have a Belkin N300 and having the same problem, only if I unplug the router, wait, plug back in I can connect up.

This isn't a router problem. Your unplug trick worked by accident.

This is a problem with the permissions on a file in the tablet which prevents that file from being deleted
by the dhcp software. The lease file is SOMETIMES (but not always) set to be read only, and the dhcp client software does not have permission to set it read-write so that it can be replaced.

The fix being slowly sent out by acer will simply prevent that file from being set read only, or change the ownership of the file since dhcp does not run as root in android 3.1, it has its own group (dhcp). In older versions dhcp used to run as root.

Acer might have missed the patch that said:
+ mkdir /data/misc/dhcp 0770 system dhcp
+ chown system dhcp /data/misc/dhcp

jasper994

Jul 14, 2011
I'm having the same issue. I've tried the soft reset. Sometimes it works for a whole day, but generally I have to reset every time I change networks. I change networks 3-5 times a day, sometimes more, so this is very frustrating, especially since I have the tablet in a case and have to remove the case to do the reset.

I sent them this message:
I am one of the people who is having the wi-fi no-connect looping issue. This problem has cost me several hours of trying to fix/deal with it and is quickly wearing out the case I purchased for it.

Why on earth did you guys push an update that wasn't fully tested?!? I understand that there were market pressures since you were the last ones to get out the 3.1 update, but causing the tablets to lose internet connectivity kills most of its usefulness. I've soft reset the thing nearly a dozen times now. Each time I'm able to connect again, but when I go to a new network (several times in a day) I have to do it over again. This of course requires me to pull the thing out of the (acer brand) case costing me several minutes, and putting wear and tear on the case. I've noticed that the case is getting much loser and when in kickstand position the tablet is starting to slide out a bit and bump the surface that it is sitting on.

What are you doing to resolve these issues for your clients? At this point, I can no longer recommend this product to others, and it is becoming unlikely that I will ever purchase another Acer product.

A hard reset that causes the loss of apps and data is an unacceptable resolution. If this is the only way to resolve the problem, than you need to provide options for return of your products with full refunds, or tech support to backup and recover the tablets back to working condition with applications and data. Furthermore, you need to compensate us for the time and efforts that we've spent in dealing with the faulty update that you pushed.

They have responded, but basically all they've said is "oops, we're working on it." Completely unacceptable. If it were still within the return period I'd take it back. I'm really wishing I had purchased the Asus instead.

Dart

May 2, 2011
This isn't a router problem. Your unplug trick worked by accident.

This is a problem with the permissions on a file in the tablet which prevents that file from being deleted
by the dhcp software. The lease file is SOMETIMES (but not always) set to be read only, and the dhcp client software does not have permission to set it read-write so that it can be replaced.

The fix being slowly sent out by acer will simply prevent that file from being set read only, or change the ownership of the file since dhcp does not run as root in android 3.1, it has its own group (dhcp). In older versions dhcp used to run as root.

Acer might have missed the patch that said:
+ mkdir /data/misc/dhcp 0770 system dhcp
+ chown system dhcp /data/misc/dhcp

I'm selling mine on Ebay and then purchasing the Toshiba Thrive. Very similar to the A500 but comes with a full size SD card slot, which I need as a photographer.
Acer support during this issue has really driven me away.

LexISR6

Jul 14, 2011
i dont recall who posted the pin port reset option but THANK YOU! i joined this forum just to post and let u all know it did the trick for me. twice didnt work for me but three or four times did it. NO APPS LOST!! i am writing this on my A500. on another note, i love this tablet, upgrading from an ipad is an understatement' but thats exactly what i did and gave it to my girlfriend. i see many have purchased from bestbuy for what im assuming is the 16gb for 449.99? if you can take it back. i bought mine which is 32 gband came with a case and all cables, hdmi, usb etc. for 479.99 at costco 30 days ago. been loving it ever since. costco offers a 90 day no question retyrn policy, a 2 year warranty boosted to 3 year when i purchased with my amex at no extra charge. how can u go wrong?? now the kicker, i went to costco today and noticed the iconia dropped to 429.99, since i was within my 30 days, they price matched and returned me 54 dollars and change. if you dlnt have one of these, get one! just my 2 cents.

dhornick

May 12, 2011
I posted this on another thread but here is my experience with this issue.

[h=2]Unusual problem with tablet![/h]
Not long after updating to 3.1 i started having an issue with my wi-fi. It would say scanning, then acquiring IP address and then flash something quickly, then return to scanning and start the process over again. I tried the reset button (which didn't work) and a factory reset twice (which would cause it to work for a few hours and then restart the problem all over again).

I spoke to a level 2 Acer tech (who said he had helped with this same issue multiple times today) who provided me with a few solutions if you are having the same issue:

1. use the reset button on the side of the tablet and then do it again right after the tablet reboots.

if that doesn't work:

2. plug in a usb keyboard while the tablet is under power then shut it down
  • press and hold the power button and the volume rocker that is closest to the corner of the tablet
  • hold both until the tablet reads "clearing cache" then release
  • the android robot should then appear
  • press the home button on the keyboard.
  • choose the third option
  • the tablet will do a few things and then select the first option
if that doesn't work:

3. unplug the keyboard and shut it down
  • press and hold the power button and the volume rocker that is closest to the corner of the tablet
  • once the tablet vibrates, release the power button but keep the volume rocker depressed
  • while keeping the rocker depressed, flick the rotation lock switch back and forth until the tablet reads clearing data.
  • the tablet should go through the options and reboot itself automatically.
I should inform you that none of these options worked for me and apparently the giveaway was that the robot had a caution symbol (the triangle with an exclamation mark inside)

I have to send my tablet in for repair which should only be 7-10 business days and i will update you when I get it back.

I hope this helps some of you if you happen to run into a similar issue with your tablet.

dhornick

May 12, 2011
"I got in contact with Acer Level 2 support this morning, they've confirmed that there is a mini-patch being released to resolve a WIFI connectivity issue on units."

did they say anything about how the patch to repair wi-fi problems will be received by units with wi-fi connection problems? am I the only one who sees the irony here?

KiwiNessie

May 9, 2011
I wrote a nice long reply that disappeared responding to the irony

* download iconia root apk onto a usb stick
* root your tablet
* download root explorer onto a usb stick
* delete the dhcp lease file
* connect to wifi
* optional step I took was to download titanium backup, backed up my apps and data and did factory reset
* get update message
* unroot before update finishes downloading (if rooted)
* happy wifi connections and the knowledge that rooting your tablet isn't that scary :)

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

jameredith

Jul 16, 2011
Reset is with paper clip. Hard Reset (factory) is something else. Just use the paper clip, or in my case a toothpick. That should do the trick.

There is no reset button.

Please be specific.

Are you suggesting a factory reset with a paperclip?
Are you suggesting a sleep and awaken?
Are you suggesting a full power down and reboot?

jasper994

Jul 14, 2011
...still unresolved. I have had this problem for at least 2 weeks now and the problem is still unresolved. Wow Acer, what a let down!

alphawave7

May 1, 2011
A static IP will get you guys connected. Just did it again today to tether to my Sensation...dhcp simply won't fix an IP in the tablet's current firmware state (on some units).

tvdinner

Jun 24, 2011
I have to admit that I am pretty pissed off about this. My friends have the Xoom and Galaxy Tab and NO PROBLEMS at all like this. This really needs to be fixed asap. This is literally ruining this tablet. Rebooting with a paperclip is not even working any more.

THIS SUCKS

ansonee

Jul 20, 2011
I found a solution on this board. Doing a soft reset - the reset button next to the USB port - a couple of times seems to fix the issue.

I'm pretty pissed though that Acer let an update out tha completely hosed the tablet!!! I will be gving Accer a piece of my mind!