Android 2.2 Firmware Update is Out for All Archos Gen 8 Devices

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
fUr95l.jpg

In case you didn't know, the Archos generation 8 tablets now have their Android 2.2 (2.2.1, to be exact) update.

The update covers the Archos 28, 32, 43, 70, and 101 Internet Tablets.

Owners can head over to Archos downloads to get their firmware.

Key to the Android 2.2 update includes compatibility for Adobe Flash 10.1. And if you didn't know where to get a compatible version of Adobe Flash already, an official Adobe Flash plugin will be available from Archos at a later date. It also includes the ability to install applications to the SD card, as well as Microsoft Exchange support.

Other neat features include external bluetooth GPS support.

Sources
All over the internet by now...

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
For those not familiar with Archos, that is a very common practice. It was the bane of the enthusiast who wanted to tweak or Mod. They do incremental serialization on the ROM hidden areas. Thus, you can reapply,but never roll back.
This is also given as a reason for system stability. The Firmware is "locked in"

jlaubin

Oct 24, 2010
i have heard that we will loose the google android market" when you update..old file was for eclair only.. so some wiz will have to help us all out with a new apk file. ive found lots of good files at Freeware lovers .com...while you wait for the New Market file

cmhdiamond

Oct 19, 2010
jlaubin,
I would suggest going over to http://forum.archosfans.com for user reactions to the update. Lots of feedback over there (both positive & negative).
They also have several solutions to the official market issue. There is a new apk for it, as well as some manual install methods, and all are fairly well documented with instructions.

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
This would be an issue for me...... IF I could actually find a place that has the 101 or 70 in stock to buy!

OH45631

Nov 29, 2010
I'm running 2.2 on my Archos 70 Internet Tablet and having a wonderful experience. I've been comparing it to my HTC EVO 4G and honestly, once I got the Android Marketplace installed and many of my favorite applications, it is a great device!! Back to the upgrade, itself, yeah, its good to go in this end-user's opinion. I'm not needing to look back.

BTW, lots of discussion at Forum.ArchosFans.com - Index page on the Marketplace add-on. There are now two APK versions for Android 2.2. I'm still using the original with the six additional steps (actually 5 as # 6 is "done."). I'm not able to see all of the Android Marketplace applications (e.g. App Monster Pro, BatteryView, and Battery Watch), but I do see the vast majority of them.

Hope this reply helps you, Bert.