android tablet vs nook

calixt0

Nov 11, 2010
I'm and extreme newby here and wondering if someone can enlighten me. Is the nook just an e-reader with wifi internet or is it a tablet with app functionality as well?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
a nook is an ereader with limited functionality. you can get a tablet for the same price, download Borders eReader software to it and have a much better option IMHO

jmlivingston

Nov 17, 2010
The Nook is a purpose-built device and excels at that purpose. I have a Nook and the e-ink display combined with the long battery life are great when traveling or sitting outdoors. Very easy on the eyes, it really is about the same as reading a paper book. It does have a web browser built into it, and a couple of simple games too, but it's painful to use for anything but reading. That's actually why I'm here, as I'm looking for something that I can use to check email and surf the internet while sitting in front of the TV during the evenings.

ufxss

Nov 16, 2010
There are a couple of 7" tablets as the Cruz Reader and Cruz Tablet, archos, Huawei....Where you can download a reader as Borders or Kindle and have access to the web and other applications...Price can range from $200 and up depending on what you want

MdPorkchop

Nov 17, 2010
I was wondering if this 7'' Google Android Pad WiFi Touch Camera ePad aPad GPad - eBay (item 230540935930 end time Nov-19-10 22:08:17 PST) will be able to play games... i am sorry for posting it in here, but i saw this as one of the most relevant and recently replied to posts. I am just looking for something to surf the web, be able to read books, and also comic books.
I am not worried about battery life or anything like that, just wanting to know if anyone else has gotten one of these from china and been happy with it.

jlaubin

Oct 24, 2010
i'm affraid that you get what you payfor or sometimes alot less..the above tablet is running android 1.6..it may not play movies, it may or maynot get wifi..With sears selling tablets for 149 and kmart too..why not buy from a store where you can return it..Please remember, the android system was made for cell phone, and adapted to tablets..sometimes crudely..If you buy from China, your putting alot of faith in a saleman youve never met.Alot of tablet adds are inflated advertising..The cruz reader is a good start, I like the Cruz tablet.. It plays videos, has good battery life, will do kindle akido music and simple games..nice on a plane trip..An Honest 6hr battery life..some chinese tablets are 3-4 hours..even300.00 ones..Walgreens.com had a tablet for 99.00..if you don't like it, its an easy return

MonarchWines

Nov 17, 2010
Thats true you do get what you pay for. coming in to this with the Samsung Galaxy tab I have the Kindel app and the Aldiko app. Both display very well and are readable in the sun. I prefer the shade myself :) I haven't tryed the Boarders app so I'll try that one next.

The battery in the Tablet last all day so far as I've found.

edtechdev

Nov 13, 2010
For support for library books (adobe digital editions DRM epub stuff), check out the Pocket Edge dual screen tablet, too.
It has an e-ink side for e-reading and note taking, and an LCD side with regular android stuff (still 1.6,
in the process of being updated to 2.2). You can put the kindle and nook apps on it, too, as well as aldiko.

Although I read that perhaps Aldiko might support DRM protected ebooks, too, in the future.

So far I like it, but I wish it cost less ($360 on amazon), and also I find the e-ink side unnecessary, but I like having a built-in
stylus for note-taking, annotations.

gshooter243

Nov 23, 2010
I am also a newbey in this tablet area and was looking at getting the nook but i want more than just an e reader and i dont want to cough up the money for and i pad and i really like the android operating system and was wondering if the cruz e reader that is on sale at best buy during black friday would run all of the android apps and games? or at leas the ones that dont require 3G but the ones that use wifi. I was also just wondering if the cruz e reader was a good beginner tablet in general and what other android tablets are out there right now that aren't super expensive not including he new samsung one.

jlaubin

Oct 24, 2010
for the 149 the cruz reader is a good starting place (see a software update at slate droid "macho cruz)..It has no 3d and that limits alot of games...At 249 the nook color looks good too..but i dont know about 3d....the cruz have excellent battery life,, which most imports do not,,buy a 4 gig microsd card with adapter.. download the angrybid file from the web...and a movie if you have one..Go to barnes and noble..try there tester.insert the card...try the movie and install angry birds...it wont even install on the cruz...

CuddlyNinja

Dec 11, 2010
You guys have gotten a bit off topic here, but I wanted to put my two cents in. People are talking about the Nook Color like it's an e-reader only. Out of the box, sure. But with a fairly simple rooting process (you just have to follow the steps, you don't have to understand them lol) I have a sweet 7" Android tablet with a beautiful capacitive screen. No microphone or HDMI out, but honestly I don't need those features. I also have a MIDnite Wits A81e tab, and a Herotab X5A. To me, getting an awesome tablet with a lot of the functionality of the Samsung Galaxy Tab for $250 is an awesome deal. I know it doesn't have a lot of the output features, but I never used them. The capacitive screen blew my mind, as I've been used to s***ty resistive ones for far too long. The folks at XDA get this thing more functionality by the day, and I honestly love the device for the price. The Herotab is going to my daughter, the Wits to my mother, as this is the only android tablet I need.

CuddlyNinja

Dec 11, 2010
I can confirm Angry Birds runs beautifully on the Nook Color, as do a lot of 3D games (Madden, Need for Speed Shift, my PSX games on the app, as well). Not everything works, but most everything I want does, and these things are getting the crap developed out of them! Funds are being raised to buy a few and get them in the hands of Koush and Cyanogen, so this scene will only grow IMO.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Rooted last night. Installed a variety of apps (browser, games, maps, etc.). Like others, I'm amazed what you get for $250. Though there isn't much work in involved, I have to say I'm thankful that I played with the Pandigital Novel for 2 months: it's given me all the skills I need (i.e., ADB) to feel comfortable tweaking the NC.

-Matt

MVBJJ

Dec 17, 2010
New owner here of the Nook Color. It is a Christmas present for my wife so I have not opened it yet to play with it. Quick question, is it possible to save email attachments of Microsoft Office files to the Nook external micro SD card? With no email client I assume I have to access Webmail with the browser. As an e-reader my wife has a need to email microsoft office docs to either her Yahoo or GMail account for reading and potential saving on the Nook Color.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
(Sorry, after writing this I realize it's not quite what you asked. I'll investigate what happens through the browser when I get a chance!)

OK, here's a quick report:

- running a rooted NC with GMail and working Market
- using the stock version of QuickOffice (read-only, I believe)
- emailed myself one Excel (xls) and Word (doc) file from my PC

Results:

- Opened message in GMail app
- "Preview" button next to each attachment
- Excel file opened perfectly, including an embedded chart
- On menu, there is a "Save As" option
- Saved to SDCard -> Downloads
- Navigated to location on SDcard, and opened with QuickOffice -> no problems (still read only)

HOWEVER, for some reason I was unable to view the DOC file. Each time I selected Preview, I got the Excel instead. Probably a cache issue, but no obvious way to clear the cache with GMail. Perhaps I could poke around and delete it manually.

Finally:

- composed a new message on the NC
- attached the copy of the file from the SDCard
- emailed with no problems

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Matt