Archos 101 or 70

Nov 27, 2010
Is there a review of these two tablets anywhere on here that someone can point me to? Has anyone went from one to the other because they liked it better? I am trying to decide which way to go. The only thing that is really swaying me is size. I found it kind of hard to read an ebook on my 7 inch cruz a few weeks back.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Search YouTube, There are a more than a few reviews on each.

Teamflail

Dec 6, 2010
True, size was the one thing that swayed me between the 7 and the 101. I would like the larger tablet as I intend to use it at work, take notes during meetings among other things. I do not have small fingers so the larger keyboard would be great. As well, I don't think a 10" tablet is too much to carry around. Doubt I would carry around the 7" in my pockets anyways as my Droid X takes care of the day-to-day activities. However, I use it to take notes during meetings now and I believe most people think I am texting. LOl. Found a great notes program that I can take the notes and just email them to myself.

Should have my 101 arriving tomorrow and I will try and provide you some feedback in a couple of days, unless I am too wrapped up in using it. ;-)

Loterbol

Dec 9, 2010
I own both (and an iPad), what do you want to know? I haven't written up any reviews.

They're both fairly similar, it really comes down to form factor / size.
1) Easier to type in general on the 70. The 101 is too wide in landscape and really tall in portrait.
2) 70 is more portable and seems less likely break in my backpack
3) Haven't put it through any battery tests, but the 70's battery life is great.
4) The 101 has a USB host port, which is unfortunately lacking on the 70.

Loterbol

Loterbol

Dec 9, 2010
Two critical points I forgot:

1) I'm on Froyo (Android 2.2) on both. I was excited to try the Flash player, but it is super slow. The NFL.com site which is certainly flash heavy was unusable until I uninstalled the Flash player. If you are leaning towards the Archos vs. iPad due to Flash support, I'd think twice.

2) As others have stated, the screen viewing angles on the 101 are finicky, I can vouch for that. The 70 screen, while smaller, seems to be easier to look at.

blackstone

Dec 7, 2010
My primary use would be for viewing videos. Therefore, which would you recommend for this, 70 or 101?
And when you say battery life is great, what sort of time are you getting out of it?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Two critical points I forgot:

1) I'm on Froyo (Android 2.2) on both. I was excited to try the Flash player, but it is super slow. The NFL.com site which is certainly flash heavy was unusable until I uninstalled the Flash player. If you are leaning towards the Archos vs. iPad due to Flash support, I'd think twice.

Remember the official Flash release has not been made for either version 70 or 101. Until Adobe and Archos provide the approved Flash release, the performance will suffer. Even if you install a Flash 10.1 compatible install, it will be slower until they provide that release.

Nov 27, 2010
I am not worried about the flash thing until the official release of Flash for 2.2, my thinking is that atleast the Archos will support flash unlike the iPad. I did purchase the 101 based on my number 1 reason for a tablet and that is reading ebooks. 7" screen seems to be small.

Loterbol

Dec 9, 2010
My primary use would be for viewing videos. Therefore, which would you recommend for this, 70 or 101?
And when you say battery life is great, what sort of time are you getting out of it?

Haven't tested battery with video, but I had music going for several hours on repeat (screen off) with barely a blip off the battery meter.

Video looks really nice on the 101, obviously MUCH larger than on the 70. Best viewed in landscape mode with a slight tilt (a la kickstand). If you view straight-on without a tilt, display suffers. Side to side viewing angle is pretty good. I could be about 18" on either side without degradation.

Loterbol

Dec 9, 2010
Remember the official Flash release has not been made for either version 70 or 101. Until Adobe and Archos provide the approved Flash release, the performance will suffer. Even if you install a Flash 10.1 compatible install, it will be slower until they provide that release.

Fair enough, be I remain semi-skeptic.

blackstone

Dec 7, 2010
Haven't tested battery with video, but I had music going for several hours on repeat (screen off) with barely a blip off the battery meter.

Video looks really nice on the 101, obviously MUCH larger than on the 70. Best viewed in landscape mode with a slight tilt (a la kickstand). If you view straight-on without a tilt, display suffers. Side to side viewing angle is pretty good. I could be about 18" on either side without degradation.

Great, thanks. Given that I want to mainly for video, this has made my mind up. Will be ordering the 101 today

neuromacer

Dec 4, 2010
Received my 70 yesterday and very happy I went for the 7". I use the device as a kindle & comic reader and video player. Although it is light, you do feel the strain after prolong use.

My only complaints is that device is a finger print magnet and I've been spoilt with my htc desires zippy cpu and excellent amoled screen.

However its a excellent tablet filler until htc release a device ;-)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Tablet Forum App while my A70 is on charge.....

Loterbol

Dec 9, 2010
I'll be using the 101 a ton over the weekend, i'll try to keep an eye on battery usage and post results.

Loterbol

Dec 9, 2010
101 usage comment: dark scenes in movies can be quite challenging to see without significantly tilting the unit back. Thankfully the kickstand tilts WAY back!