Archos posts new Froyo Firmware 3.2.26

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Archos released a new firmware which is a stability fix release from the 3.2.20 release from a week ago. I have not downloaded this and will add detail on my experiences later today. As an FYI: The OTA updates seem to be slowing down or discontinued due to problems with some users getting consistent updates this way. It is suggested to D/L the update directly from Archos by visiting Archos/Support/Downloads or clicking the link below.
http://update.archos.com/8/gen8/gen8_2. ... d_gen8.aos

The following are the fixes of the Firmware released today.
Version 2.3.26 - 21-April, 2011

Wi-Fi: fix cannot scan on an access point above channel 11 regression
Phone tethering: fix TCP/IP header compression setting crash
System stability: avoid Android reboot in case of missing audio
Media library: fix media libray not updated on hard drive based A70
Notification: decrease low battery notification volume
Application: attempt to solve Pandora application not able to switch songs
Application: solve music lag in applications using OGG format
Bluetooth GPS: increase compatibility with 3rd party applications
Display: avoid white/black screen happening sometimes when switching back the display on

The following are the links to prior Firmware:

13-April: Froyo Firmware 2.3.20
16-February: Froyo Firmware 2.1.08
1-February: Froyo Firmware 2.1.04
27-January: Froyo Firmware 2.1.03
16-December: Froyo Firmware 2.0.71
30-November: Froyo Firmware 2.0.54
21-October: Eclair Firmware 1.0.84 (NOTE: YOU CAN NOT GO TO PRIOR ANDROID VERSION)

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Midday update, I have run Angry Birds Rio,World News, Zeam, Default Media player,Music and Video, and Tunein. It seems to be fine. I am not getting the Battery drain as noticable which I noticed prior. It does seem to be booting up a bit slower and coming out of Deep Sleep a bit slower. But that is the only thing I am seeing right now. Any App runs fine, it is the initial boot up.

Also: I just noticed they have released an update for Archos 5 series. This is not an update to Android 2.x, but fixes many bugs. Will post about that later.

Cheers

timmytutone

Apr 22, 2011
Mine has been stuck on the Archos Entertainment your way boot screen for the last 15 minutes.......... anyone else? (Archos70)

EDIT - I just did a hard restart after over 30 minutes stuck on the boot screen. Shows new firmware, and seems to be working fine.

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Mine has been stuck on the Archos Entertainment your way boot screen for the last 15 minutes.......... anyone else? (Archos70)

EDIT - I just did a hard restart after over 30 minutes stuck on the boot screen. Shows new firmware, and seems to be working fine.

FOR Others who have not run an Archos FW update. This is not uncommon. You many times have to Manually power off and restart. Do not ask me why, I have no idea. It has done it on 2 / 4 updates

10 till 4

Apr 12, 2011
So I did the update and now my music player will play one song and then force close. Whats the deal?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
So I did the update and now my music player will play one song and then force close. Whats the deal?

I would suggest you run both the Arcupdate and the Android library update. I have not experienced this myself, but it sounds like a corrupt music llibrary.

10 till 4

Apr 12, 2011
So my music library still wont play (no videos yet to test the video app) and my screen often turns white when hitting the home button to return home since update

RichardR

Apr 24, 2011
So my music library still wont play (no videos yet to test the video app) and my screen often turns white when hitting the home button to return home since update

I also have the white screen of death. It happens when the screen turns off after inactivity. When I turn on the screen with the button, then white screen and lockup. My music and video are ok with the built-in players but my purchased PowerAmp no longer works. The license isn't recognised.

Also updating and downloading from Android Market locks up requiring a hard reset.

Prior to this update (2.3.26), performance was excelent and stable.

On a positive note, I can now access my PC via UPnP.

Sent from my A70S using Android Tablet Forum

10 till 4

Apr 12, 2011
Yeah I did a full reinziliaztion and redid pretty much everything. That update pretty much just effed up my tablet. My better keyboard wont work now but i think i fixed my music problem

10 till 4

Apr 12, 2011
So the firmware update pretty much made my a70 do all things wrong that update was supose to fix that my a70 never had a problem with anyway

mahojazz

Mar 7, 2011
So isit advisable to update to the new firmware? So far my A101IT is doing fine.

Sent from my A101IT using Android Tablet Forum

10 till 4

Apr 12, 2011
thats up to you. I did and now i have to get mine replaced but i guess there was a bad batch of the A70 IT

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I have to be honest. "your mileage may vary" is so true for Archos firmware. There are some individuals (Like myself on my 101/16) who have never had major issues with a FW update. I have gone from 2.0.71 to the latest. Small issues, but nothing major. Others, like 10 till 4 have a bad taste after just one FW update. I always suggest you review the firmware and compare it with your current need and functionality. I update my FW because I want to offer assistance to others if they do. But, for some, it can be if it is working fine, don't. There are advantages and fixes to the newer versions. But, for some, it may remove an ability (such as permanent Root).

Archos also has a tendancy to make rollback to prior versions problemmatic. I can roll my 2.3.26 back to 2.3.20 but not to older versions. RollBack is generally easy. Just go to the links in the first post and d/l the .aos file and place it in the root of your tablet. What happens if you stick a 2.0.71 FW in a 2.3.xx version is it will review the code and say it cannot roll back. But it will go back to a 2.3.x version fine.