Archos users I need your advice.....urgent

raufhon

Mar 31, 2011
So guys I was thinking to buy a tablet as I am going to travel, I bought Ideos s7 Huawei...but the screen is just terrible....you cant use it as an eReader and it is not sensitive... I have galaxy s phone and you can zoom in and out using two fingers.. while Ideos is just helll....

so now I think of getting Archos 101....is it going to give me ideos s7 experience ? cuz I really need a good screen to read as my vision is not good and I need a good screen so I can browse and read and use comfortably...let me know please... :)

10 till 4

Apr 12, 2011
i like A70 but it may not be great for a reader because of how big the speakers are on it. i like it tough and i COULD use it as a reader

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The 101/16 is what I have. I like it and is stable. But, I would suggest skinning it and a screen protector. The case is very light weight and can use anything to strengthen the case. It feels flimsy otherwise.

The touch is good, as is battery life. But, the screen display is not as good as a XOOM, but you are paying little over half what you would pay for a Xoom.
Otherwise, If you could wait, I would. There are Gen8.5 Arnova (Budget Archos) with capacitive screens which are basically 101/4 with capacitive screen in June and Gen 9 before August. Or get the MSI Android when it is released. Very similar to the ASUS which is the hottest tablet right now.

Gin Martini

Oct 20, 2010
I'm using mine (Archos 101) right now as a reader. I read magazine (in color) and comics (black & white) and both looks really sharp.

Kahoolie

Oct 21, 2010
I use mine to read all sorts of thongs: books, magazines, PDFs, HTML, etc. I find it at least as good as my 11 in. (4 lb.) laptop.

zerotiger

Nov 11, 2010
Archos typically uses better hardware than Huawei so your overall experience should be significantly improved. Archos has an e-reader out, it's basically an enhanced 70. That might be a good fit for you. I don't think they are available yet in the US, but the North America office often announces when things are available on their facebook page.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Archos typically uses better hardware than Huawei so your overall experience should be significantly improved. Archos has an e-reader out, it's basically an enhanced 70. That might be a good fit for you. I don't think they are available yet in the US, but the North America office often announces when things are available on their facebook page.

Not so sure about that, having used hardware from both I would have to say the build quality of Huwei is superior to Archos. I always got the feeling if I wasnt careful I would break my Archos. I also had fewer compatibility issues with the Huawei both with software and network reliability. I dont mean to put Archos down, I still have an old 5IT that works great. Its just that I chose to keep my Huawei and return my 70.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

DJACID

May 7, 2011
Archos do a great job with software,There build quality is good but not up there with the best same as the huawei,But as a media player you can beat the Archos it handles up to 720p Mkv with no issues or lags, no delays when forwardsnor jumping chapters, There gen9 tablets should be killers,Both the honeycomb tablets I have at home plus my mates ones can't handle Mkv...

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
A person can only carry so many devices so multi-purpose devices like a good Android tablet are almost indispensible, at least to me. I actuall use it to read on a daily basis.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
I use mine very well for an ereader, but I would be careful which app you use. I have found that the soft-buttons on screen to be really annoying in that it takes up screen real-estate and Android can't figure out how to deal with it, so it often ends up covering the bottom text of some apps (including the pre-loaded Aldiko app!). What I ended up using on my Archos, is the Amazon Kindle app, or the Kobo eReader app.

They both work well, and swiping to change the page or pressing right or left to change the page works well, screen is quite sharp, and pinch to zoom works great.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
Not so sure about that, having used hardware from both I would have to say the build quality of Huwei is superior to Archos. I always got the feeling if I wasnt careful I would break my Archos. I also had fewer compatibility issues with the Huawei both with software and network reliability. I dont mean to put Archos down, I still have an old 5IT that works great. Its just that I chose to keep my Huawei and return my 70.

Having played with one in a Best Buy, I can agree with the OP, in that the resistive screens just are a deal-breaker for me. I couldn't get past that on the Huwai, and I went with an Archos for its history of making quality PMP devices, and now that I have it and been testing it, I'm glad I went with this choice. I've also dealt with crappy Capacitive screens (Velocity Micro-Cruz Tablet....ugh), and the Archos screen was quite sensitive for what you're paying for, so I was pleasantly surprised. The only drawback to me was the 256 Megs RAM, but having used my tablet on a day-to-day basis, it really hasn't become an issue with me that much, and gaming performance as well as graphics in general are also amazingly good for what you pay for.