Arcos 7 home tablet

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
OK, As I own one I will list the positives and the negatives. There are others who are far less complimentary

Positives
Probably has one of the best battery lifes for Tablets out there
Is an good MP3/audio/video player If you have the correct codecs.
Acceptable Resistive screen
Somewhat active community support from Archosfans (Community upgrade potential to Archos Open Source)

Negatives
Has to be one of the slowest tablets out there
Uses Android Cupcake 1.5 which means very limited application list
No Market
Have I mentioned it was slow?
Difficult to do anything after rooting and getting ADB to work.
Designed by default to be a kludge
If it only worked as good as it looks
Do not plan playing Flash, Games(unless simple board style) or be an IPad competitor.

Bottom Line, It is a oversized PMP with limited memory

So why did I get it and how do I use it?
I got a refurbed unit and leave it on all the time
It is my bedstand alarm clock and e-reader
Plays favorite music and such when I wake up.
Otherwise, it would be sold on the 'Bay (But likely will be when I get my 16Gb 101)

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
It comes with the usual codecs in use right now. I think there is a a way, but I just transcode using Mediacoder or similar.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Idiotic implementation of Android.

Android 1.5 was never designed to run on 800x480. Outdated Linux kernel. Uses swap and neglected to implement lowmemkiller driver. Does not have g-sensor. No physical buttons leads to huge bar taking over large portion of screen real-estate. Severely underclocked to achieve good battery life at the cost of most of its performance. No GPU 3D at all.

If you get it for $100, it's a decent deal depending on what you requirements are. It does not make sense to pay anything more for this right now.

All the codecs for the chipset have already been implemented. Archos cannot play games with it this time. It doesn't play all 720p format videos, but the video support it has isn't too shabby.

You can't beat the battery life, really...

Joshua

Nov 28, 2010
Has to be one of the slowest tablets out there
Apparently youve never used a WM8505 based device. Considering I stated with a Eken m001, the Archos 7HT seemed like a ferarri once I got it. And really, it wasnt that slow. The battery life was truly remarkable. I litteraly was able to leave it playing MP3s for more than 24 hours straight with wifi off. Most of all it showed me that tablets could be a product that would benefit my mobile usage needs. Now that I have a Huawei S7 i sold my Archos on ebay recently but really enjoyed it while I had it.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Apparently youve never used a WM8505 based device.

Oh, I did, If you go back and search my threads, you will see I gave a VIA 8505 away in a contest we used in a eval. I gave it a thorough review. I found the 1.7.4 firmware could be fairly quick in the start up and as long as you single tasked, it was OK, and it was still faster than my Archos 7 HT.

Big_Jim

Mar 16, 2011
I already made a huge post on another forum with about 20 different complaints. Came here and found out that apparently its also under-clocked to save battery life.

My chief issues are the crummy resistive touch screen and locked in to Android 1.5. I got the official App Market working but with the old OS there still isnt much I can do. If the touch screen were better and it could easily switch between portrait & landscape this would still be a decent over sized PDA and messaging device. As it stands I cant do anything on it. Will be selling this or giving it to one of my enemies.