Assortment of new Cortex A8 Coby Tablets on Cobyusa.com?

Jan 20, 2011
Great news !

Any idea if it will be in the $150 price range ?

I'd gladly take a hit on the cpu speed for savings. 800Mhz is probably fine for most uses, I just want to browse the web really.

Last edited:

opamp

Nov 13, 2010
These have the same humming bird CPU running the Samsung Galaxy S line phone and Tabs look like they running Gingerbread 2.3. However 2.3 is still buggy and still has some browser lag on the Samsung CPU hope they will it fixed by then!!

mikeadams68

Jan 11, 2011
The 7015 has 256mb with 4gb storage and Is a decent tablet.

Sent from my MID7015 using Android Tablet Forum App

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
I won't buy a tab for myself without 2.3 and capacitive. Prolly will have to be dual core tegra based also. Those are some of the main priorities I'm looking for. I am disappointed that the Xoom will apparently be so damn expensive. Plus Moto locks their bootloader, which while not a deal breaker, still makes it much harder to tweak the unit. The Notion Inc is still not shipping and I mainly wanted that e-ink screen version. Seems like we will have to wait for a really functional, affordable, 2.3 capacitive android tab. The capacitive Coby would is on my list, but spec-wise it might now stack up.

Sir Robin

Jan 22, 2011
Anyone think Coby will release an Android 3 tablet shortly after this ? :D

Maybe its better to wait till then.

As long as 3.0 doesn't have deal-breaking spec requirements, I won't care if they release it or not, I will just flash a 3.0 build on it, likely a Cyanogenmod which works very well on my 7015.

willber

Jan 9, 2011
I'd rather wait for a real tablet OS (Android 3). I'm tired of fighting this crappy phone OS.
Watching my tablet wake up again every few minutes...... sigh.

Sir Robin

Jan 22, 2011
I'd rather wait for a real tablet OS (Android 3). I'm tired of fighting this crappy phone OS.
Watching my tablet wake up again every few minutes...... sigh.

SoftLocker app helps with the waking up, search the threads, not perfect but helps.

Jan 20, 2011
As long as 3.0 doesn't have deal-breaking spec requirements, I won't care if they release it or not, I will just flash a 3.0 build on it, likely a Cyanogenmod which works very well on my 7015.

Ok, so rooting DOES allow you to install a new version of the OS?

Last edited:

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Is it really worth it to upgrade to a 2.3 device? I was planning to wait until 3.0 is released.

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
It all depends on what you want your next tablet to be. Do you want something that will replace your laptop and/or gaming system. For me this was my first tab I got it for the holidays. I am interested in the 10" tab to see how it would be, but I still haven't seen the ram posted. Hoping they put 512ram. Pricing is also important. $700 for Xoom is alot of money. also if you sign up for the service your adding that to monthly cost for it.

willber

Jan 9, 2011
For me the tablet is an information portal... nothing more. I hardly have to boot "Bill Gates" anymore. I get my information when I want it and where I want it. Most excellent.
Even with the early stages of phone OS tablets and their wonky nature, I'm very glade to jump in on the technology.
I'll coast with the 7015 until Android 3 ( a real tablet OS) is released. Then I'll jump again onto a new tablet. A seven inch tablet to me is much more portable and I will probably stay with that form factor.
If I need to do some serious work or gaming, then I boot you know who...

fred615

Dec 26, 2010
"wilber",

I think of the tab as a portal also; a way to avoid having a laptop attached at the hip and instead have a slick 7" tab that can fit in a coat pocket. The new Coby models seem to have most of what I'm looking for in storage and CPU specs; 1 GHz is fine for now and 4GB of memory along with an microSD of up to 32 GB is great. One of my uses is to back up photos from my cameras while on a trip. That way I can leave my laptop at home and do some surfing and games in my hotel rooms with the free wifi. And certainly, Android 2.3 should be better than 2.0....!

Re: the new Coby models I didn't see specific mention of a built-in GPS. Does anyone know if they will NOT have GPS for sure? It would be handy but not essential. The multi touch screen would be nice so people who see it will think it's a small Apple...!!! So if the 7025 or 7026 can be had for approx. $150-170 then it becomes something I can throw away in a couple years when tabs come with a 2GHz CPU and 16 GB built in along with many other wonderful updates for about the same price..!!

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
"wilber",

I think of the tab as a portal also; a way to avoid having a laptop attached at the hip and instead have a slick 7" tab that can fit in a coat pocket. The new Coby models seem to have most of what I'm looking for in storage and CPU specs; 1 GHz is fine for now and 4GB of memory along with an microSD of up to 32 GB is great. One of my uses is to back up photos from my cameras while on a trip. That way I can leave my laptop at home and do some surfing and games in my hotel rooms with the free wifi. And certainly, Android 2.3 should be better than 2.0....!

Re: the new Coby models I didn't see specific mention of a built-in GPS. Does anyone know if they will NOT have GPS for sure? It would be handy but not essential. The multi touch screen would be nice so people who see it will think it's a small Apple...!!! So if the 7025 or 7026 can be had for approx. $150-170 then it becomes something I can throw away in a couple years when tabs come with a 2GHz CPU and 16 GB built in along with many other wonderful updates for about the same price..!!

Most of these low-end tablets do not have a GPS - my Archos 5 seems to have been one of the few/last of that breed. I would assume it NOT being included since it would be a prominent selling point at such a low price.

I would still like to know how much memory/RAM they will have - the 4GB is listed as flash, so that means "storage" (as internal flash card), not RAM/memory. That would not be realistic for a low-end device anyway (nor for 32-bit architecture memory addressing).

FWIW

Last edited: