ASUS 7" tablet question/help

jeeper80

Jan 18, 2015
I very recently purchased an ASUS ME176CX 7" tablet. As I am new to the Android OS, I've been going through a learning curve. This morning, I was navigating around and clicked on the ASUS icon (four colorful squares clustered) and then I clicked on MY Asus.. Once in My Asus, I remember seeing a screen that indicated United Kingdom-my memory is a bit vague on this. Thinking that I could change that to U.S. English, I clicked on that. Now I have all these Chinese characters that seem to be suggesting online chat. I tried clicking on other things to get it back to the original display but no luck. I called Asus tech support and they had my plug the tablet into my PC via USB cable. To make a long story short, I was told that I have a virus and it would cost $99.00 to clear. I told the tech that I only paid $135 for the tablet so paying $99 to clear the problem doesn't make sense.. My question is has anybody had the problem of trying to change language in My Asus and how do you go about it? If I do in fact have a virus, can I plug the tablet in to my PC and run Norton directing it to the tablet as another drive?

Jeffrey

Super Moderator
Jul 27, 2014
I don't think you have a virus. I would do a factory reset. Hold the volume down _ the power button and you should get a menu. Select factory reset and confirm with the power button.

This will give you a fresh out of the box tab. Setup will prompt you for your preferred language.

jeeper80

Jan 18, 2015
I don't think you have a virus. I would do a factory reset. Hold the volume down _ the power button and you should get a menu. Select factory reset and confirm with the power button.

This will give you a fresh out of the box tab. Setup will prompt you for your preferred language.
I think you're right. I loaded AVG free antivirus for Android tablets and it ran clean. You know, the ASUS tech support person was trying to bargain with me on the price. I tried holding the Volume button and turning on but no dice. Must be doing something wrong

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I'm moving your thread to the Asus Tablets forum for you, where more people familiar with that tablet are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck!

Jeffrey

Super Moderator
Jul 27, 2014
I think you're right. I loaded AVG free antivirus for Android tablets and it ran clean. You know, the ASUS tech support person was trying to bargain with me on the price. I tried holding the Volume button and turning on but no dice. Must be doing something wrong
Make sure your holding Volume Down plus the Power Button.