Asus Transformer Prime - Buy now or not???

mcdonsco

Jan 8, 2012
I got the 64gb champagne prime the other day and it's very likely going back; I'm going to hold out for ICS and see if that fixes the issues I have with it, if not I'll be returning it (I doubt ICS will fix it though as the GPS and wifi issues appear to be 100% hardware design flaws).

Issues:

-GPS is useless, only when there are zero obstructions between sky and device does it work, and even then the signals are low
-Wifi is a joke on it. The only place in the house where I get 100% signal strength is standing right next to the router, if I walk 5 feet away signal drops immediately, 20 feet away and it's barely hanging onto the signal, any further no signal (wireless N)
-Web browsing is slower and clunkier than a 1st gen iPad (compared side by side with the iPad I was wanting to replace with the Prime)
-Streaming video (Netflix) is not anywhere near HD or even DVD quality, my 1st gen iPad was clear as a a bell at the same time the prime (same movie, same place in the movie, same connection etc) was at best VHS qualtiy.
-Today it's sprung a new issue with email, a security warning that I found a fix for (removing devices from exchange sync list), that fix resolved the security error but it wouldn't actually sync email, just gave me the blue ring forever, even after restarts. Finally deleted the account and tried to set it up again, but it wouldn't complete setup saying it couldn't communicate with the server (and the servers fine, it's an Apptix exchange account). So did a factory reset and still cannot setup the account, just won't work.
-Randomly getting force close errors too

I called ASUS support, their only solution is to send it in to them but they couldn't say what they would do to fix it or how long it would take. I don't want to end up passing my return window on it, so not doing that.

This is a really nice piece of hardware, and usually in my experience ASUS puts out top notch stuff, but this, this is just really really lacking in functionality. The specs are there as well as the design, quite good but jesus couldn't they finish it off by ensuring it WORKED?

Last edited:

Adastra

Jan 8, 2012
Thanks for the picture, JerseyRider--very helpful. That range of motion is...adequate. But hey, enough is as good as a feast. :)

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I got the 64gb champagne prime the other day and it's very likely going back; I'm going to hold out for ICS and see if that fixes the issues I have with it, if not I'll be returning it (I doubt ICS will fix it though as the GPS and wifi issues appear to be 100% hardware design flaws).

Issues:

-GPS is useless, only when there are zero obstructions between sky and device does it work, and even then the signals are low
-Wifi is a joke on it. The only place in the house where I get 100% signal strength is standing right next to the router, if I walk 5 feet away signal drops immediately, 20 feet away and it's barely hanging onto the signal, any further no signal (wireless N)
-Web browsing is slower and clunkier than a 1st gen iPad (compared side by side with the iPad I was wanting to replace with the Prime)
-Streaming video (Netflix) is not anywhere near HD or even DVD quality, my 1st gen iPad was clear as a a bell at the same time the prime (same movie, same place in the movie, same connection etc) was at best VHS qualtiy.
-Today it's sprung a new issue with email, a security warning that I found a fix for (removing devices from exchange sync list), that fix resolved the security error but it wouldn't actually sync email, just gave me the blue ring forever, even after restarts. Finally deleted the account and tried to set it up again, but it wouldn't complete setup saying it couldn't communicate with the server (and the servers fine, it's an Apptix exchange account). So did a factory reset and still cannot setup the account, just won't work.
-Randomly getting force close errors too

I called ASUS support, their only solution is to send it in to them but they couldn't say what they would do to fix it or how long it would take. I don't want to end up passing my return window on it, so not doing that.

This is a really nice piece of hardware, and usually in my experience ASUS puts out top notch stuff, but this, this is just really really lacking in functionality. The specs are there as well as the design, quite good but jesus couldn't they finish it off by ensuring it WORKED?

FYI - ICS is out for the Prime. Just check for updates and away you go.

Droid415

Jan 7, 2012
I'm getting anxious to pull the trigger on something soon as I feel a tablet will help my productivity. Has anyone found any good tablets that are 10+ inches w/32gb or more at the CES that wil be available within the next 30 days that I should consider???

If not, I' weighing pros & cons of the Asus Eee Transformer (new for $400) vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (refurbished by Samsung for $450) I like the thinner & sleeker package of the Tab, but the added expanability of the Transformer and the fact that it,s new for $50 less???

I,m confused, more opinions and real experiences are welcome...

gvr187

Jan 11, 2012
I dont recommend a prime.

It's not the speed of the Wifi thats an issue, its the range that is poor. If I'm not within 20 feet of my router it drops to 3 bars, if I leave the room it drops to 2, and if I go any further its painful.

ASUS' solution to this problem is to make the customer pay MORE MONEY to have it sent in to them to fix, and they will pay to ship it back. They offer no compensation and would even like to waste your time by telling you to turn it on/off and go through standard tech support garbage. Considering this is an admitted fault, they should be doing what Apple does and send you prepaid postage to send it in. Why should we pay more? Why support a company that tries to brush the problem under the table and claim it doesn't exist?
ICS didn't fix the problem either.

Droid415

Jan 7, 2012
I dont recommend a prime.

It's not the speed of the Wifi thats an issue, its the range that is poor. If I'm not within 20 feet of my router it drops to 3 bars, if I leave the room it drops to 2, and if I go any further its painful.

ASUS' solution to this problem is to make the customer pay MORE MONEY to have it sent in to them to fix, and they will pay to ship it back. They offer no compensation and would even like to waste your time by telling you to turn it on/off and go through standard tech support garbage. Considering this is an admitted fault, they should be doing what Apple does and send you prepaid postage to send it in. Why should we pay more? Why support a company that tries to brush the problem under the table and claim it doesn't exist?
ICS didn't fix the problem either.

I will definitely be looking carefully at the next batch of "Prime" tablets do out shortly to see if the issue has been resolved. If not, I will be looking to see how Asus will resolve this issue and why they're still making/selling tablets with a known problem. How Asus handles their little nightmare will tell me whether or not I want to own something by Asus, after all, there are other companies that would appreciate my business...

Last edited:

JerseyRider

Dec 20, 2011
I will definitely be looking carefully at the next batch of "Prime" tablets do out shortly to see if the issue has been resolved.

Apparently the problem has been resolved but in the next Prime to be released in the second quarter. There is plastic covering the areas over the antennas on the TF700. That design change tells me ASUS knew the all aluminum back on the TF201 is having an effect on signals.

Last edited:

Droid415

Jan 7, 2012
Apparently the problem has been resolved but in the next Prime to be released in the second quarter. There is plastic covering the areas over the antennas on the TF700. That design change tells me ASUS knew the all aluminum back on the TF201 is having an effect on signals.

I saw the the specs on the new - to-be-release 700 series "Prime", but I'm not so sure the new back plate is to fix the wifi or GPS (or both). It seems the wifi issue is not consistent with everyone and may be fixed or significantly improved with a software/firmware update? Either way, I'm buying a tablet to help improve my efficiency and productivity and as of lately my productivity has been way off because I've been spending way too much time researching tablets. I pulled the trigger yesterday on a Asus Transformer Prime through Office Depot and it's due to arrive today. If the wifi sucks and does not seem fixable from and sort of software updates, it will simply go back to Office Depot. Wish me luch...

JerseyRider

Dec 20, 2011
I pulled the trigger yesterday on a Asus Transformer Prime through Office Depot and it's due to arrive today. If the wifi sucks and does not seem fixable from and sort of software updates, it will simply go back to Office Depot. Wish me luch...

You may be OK if you do not use your tablet far from the router. I know some people say they have a problem connecting even standing a few feet from their router. I think maybe some of them just need to change some settings on their router or check for interference by other devices. I think more owners are like myself, those who get a good connection close to the router but it degrades quite fast as you move further away. I also think some who say they do not have wifi issues never go far enough from their router to get a really weak connection. After-all, the hardware is all the exact same. Since I purchased my Prime I tried a signal booster which didn't improved things that much and added another device to the mix. I then tried a Netgear 3700 Router which made quite a difference. With the Netgear I was able connect on my top floor and outside in my backyard which I couldn't do with my older Belkin router. But still in those areas the connection is just barely acceptable. Streaming video often does a lot of buffering. So yes go for it and see if it fills your needs and return it if not. Toshiba is soon coming out with a new tablet that seems promising also.

Last edited:

Droid415

Jan 7, 2012
My Asus Transformer Prime arrived yesterday from Office Depot and here are a few observations I've made thus far:

- The unit was slightly charged when I turned it on for the 1st time and I spend a few minutes on it setting things up, I then recharged from 5% to 100% in less than 3 hours.
- Screen and overall build of tablet is beautiful. I recently bought my wife a Motorola Xoom and her 1st comment when seeing my Prime was "why is your screen so much nicer looking than mine"?
- Wifi, no issues so far, I have a home with 3 floors with a router on lower level & top level, last night I was on the middle level with my Prime and my laptop and was getting good signal strength from both routers and was about the same strength I was getting on my laptop.

I'm still playing and putting this table through its paces, but so far this is a great tablet and have no regrets what so ever...

gb93616

Jan 18, 2012
I like the look of the Prime, love the idea of a keyboard dock with the extra battery. I had to buy a laptop recently and I don't think the wife would be too keen on my buying another tablet pc just yet :(
I don't like the sound of the wifi issue though, hopefully its just teething problems and will be sorted out soon

Fordy

Feb 2, 2012
have just received my Prime and no issues with WiFi at all. Is sitting next to my work laptop and matching the laptops WiFi reach bar for bar! Is rather slick and cool.

JerseyRider

Dec 20, 2011
have just received my Prime and no issues with WiFi at all. Is sitting next to my work laptop and matching the laptops WiFi reach bar for bar! Is rather slick and cool.

I had no problems connecting either. Most of the Prime owners with wifi issues do not have a problem connecting. It's the range that is the problem. How far away from your router can you go before the signal is too weak or completely lost compared to your other wifi devices?

PrimeUser

Feb 2, 2012
The Prime is indeed a wonderful device, would I recommend others to buy one? Yes indeed, as I haven't experienced the problems other users reported. It is very sad others can't experience the full capability of this magnificent machine due to all sorts of issues, but I think this new C1 production batch (mine), is superior to the earlier one made available for the US market. As an European, I waited longer for my Prime and certainly alot of the early issues were addressed on the production line, nevertheless, the QC should be way better for a brand name as ASUS. So, give it a try, and if you come around a good Prime, you will be amazed...

Cheers

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
The TFP is a good product. But for the OP I would confirm that the Prime you are purchasing either has the new back on it,, ie not the all aluminum unibody,, or I would hold out for the tf700t. While there are many people who do not have problems with the aluminum unibody there are many who do. It was said that the TF201 was being shipped with a new back. I don't know if this is true, but it sounds reasonable to me seeing how much it will cost Asus to ship with the problem backs and then have to turnaround and fix them under warranty.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum