Augen's 7" Android Tablet hits K-Mart stores this week for $149

Gunnyman

Jul 28, 2010
I picked one of these up today after seeing it on Engadget. I'm returning it tomorrow. It's a repackaged Chinese Tablet that thinks it's a phone. The Manual says it supports portrait orientation, but there's no way to set it. Android market is there, but apps won't install. In order to return it I'm going to have to change my google password because factory reset within android settings doesn't work. STAY AWAY

wuyanks

Jul 23, 2010
Another user review popped up (in two parts):

[video=dailymotion;xe6se2]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe6se2_augen-7-gentouch-android-tablet-pc_shortfilms[/video]

[video=dailymotion;xe6sl4]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe6sl4_augen-review-pt-2_tech[/video]

joshua.lyon

Jun 11, 2010
The reviewer's speech impediment was driving me crazy. I couldn't get through a minute of that review. And it was like the blair witch review... the camera kept moving around, nothing was in focus, and the light from his fan almost gave me an epileptic shock!

The first part was pretty pretty worthless -- the guy just talked a lot without showing much. If you skip around the part 2 video, you might be able to get about 30 seconds worth of good review out of the 20 minutes worth of film!

I guess a crappy review is better than no review at all. ;)

manfly9884

Jun 18, 2010
I managed to get one this afternoon and I must say I like it so far. Was not expecting an IPAD, but did want a device that I can read books, do email and surf the net. This little device can do all that and much more. I have managed to use my N1 as an portable hot spot the the Gentouch had no problems connecting to. Did a little net surfing and read a cople of emails.
As for the Market issues there are work arounds where this can be enabled.

So far this is my humble review. Tomorrow I will try and post more.

purdue512

Jun 26, 2010
I noticed that you say that this unit is the first available in the US. Flat Computing has had a 10.2" Android Tablet for sale and shipping from the US since July 2 making t hem the first to market in the USA.

I have purchased an android tablet from Flat Computing and it was everything they said it was. Their support is awesome and the developer from SlatDroid.com is building their 2.2 ROM available in lat Aug.

Take a look for your selves:
http://www.flatcomputing.com
10.2in Tablet PC 1Ghz CPU with 256MB of Memory and Android 2.1 OS!

• ARM Cortex-A8 Processor 1GHz+
  • “Same Processor as Apple’s iPad”
  • 2GB flash memory
  • 256MB of RAM
  • microSD memory card slot up to 32GB
  • 10.2” TFT ,1024×600 Touchscreen Display
  • WiFi support
  • Accelerometer
  • Google Maps
  • and of course an Android 2.1 operating System

Read more here: FlatPad A10 Android 2.1 | Android Tablet | Flat Computing | Flat Computing

This would be VERY VERY exciting, but if you read the forum on the www.flatcomputing.com website, it is clear that the ROM they are currently shipping does not work.. Many forced closes, etc... I was impressed with the responsiveness of the team at www.flatcomputing.com in their forum, but the fact still remains that the ROM and Firmware are not yet usable...

I will watch this one, and if the reports of the ROM / Firmware re-write are positive, I'll probably buy one. But the cheaper one in this thread seems good too (if they are available)...

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
I picked one of these up today after seeing it on Engadget. I'm returning it tomorrow. It's a repackaged Chinese Tablet that thinks it's a phone. The Manual says it supports portrait orientation, but there's no way to set it. Android market is there, but apps won't install. In order to return it I'm going to have to change my google password because factory reset within android settings doesn't work. STAY AWAY

Thanx. What can I say - about to splash $150/ and U saved me! Now wheredo i get a decent a And. 2.1 tablet even from china! Any advice about a honest and sound site?

Xcountry

Jul 31, 2010
So just going to throw this out there! All these negative reviews and negative posts are crazy!! People...you have to remember you spent $150 on this. I think your getting more then what you paid for!!!! There are e readers that do much less then this pad and charge the same price. I wouldnt say this thing is perfect or even close to an ipad but for what it does, I give it a 7.5 out of 10. The company seems to be working on a fix so thats good! Just think, if this thing could be rooted and over clocked?!?!?!? I would be happy as hell!!! Im hoping someone will figure out a way!