Best way to Factory Reset? (Archos 101)

CyberPitz

Feb 14, 2011
I'm having the issue of NEVER being able to sign into my google account for the Market (Unable to establish a reliable connection to the server). From what I hear, only a factory reset can fix this. Although, I've done this up to 5 times so far, no go. At least, I THINK I'm factory resetting. I'm going to Settings --> Repair & Formating --> Full Reinitialization. Now, should I be doing that or going through the System Recovery and picking "Format System"? (Not entirely sure if I do that I will even have an Android OS installed!)

Feb 7, 2011
Turn the Archos off, Hold the VOL - button and turn it back on. Keep the Vol - key pressed. It will load into Archos Boot Menu. Once you see the white screen you can let go of the Vol- key. Using the Volume keys go down to Recovery System, hit the Power Key to select it. Select Repair System and or Format System... up to you. I'd try a repair if that doesn't work Format it.

CyberPitz

Feb 14, 2011
Alrighty, I'll try the Check Disk. So, just to be 100%...if I format System, I can still boot up as if I first got the unit? I don't want to have to find the OS to re-install...:p

*EDIT* Check Desk didn't work....

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2011
Though I gotta be honest.. seems a rather harsh method to fix a google market issue. Try this: go to Settings > Accounts and Syncs Settings > Turn Sync off. Then go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All > Clear Cache and Data for contacts storage, etc.. and attempt to sync again.

Can also try to go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Market > Clear Data.

Some report that after doing a format that they are unable to recover their google account... the only work around is to sign into the youtube program...

read: [Solved] Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server - Page 2 - xda-developers

Feb 7, 2011
Ironically enough he firmware is available on most posts having to do with rooting your Archos :D Though you'd need to install SDK which voids your warranty. Archos claims that it watermarks your system and they can tell that you installed it... though no programmer has ever seen this water mark.

CyberPitz

Feb 14, 2011
Yeah, that's kind of the last thing I want to do with this. I've got a Rooted Droid and that's working fine...but there is a whole bunch more community support with that, so I feel much more safe in terms of breaking it and getting things up and running again.

Stupid "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server." This is driving me freaking nuts.