Books I wish I could find for the Nook

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I am sure those of us that use the NC to actually read a book know of at least a dozen books we wished were in digital format.

One of the books I wish I could find (read it a long time ago, and would love to re-read it)

If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him

Do any of you have a book you wish you could find?

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Italian writers like Umberto Eco and Oriana Fallaci in Italian and I'm sure there are people who would like to read French author in French or SPanish ones in SPanish. A company like B&N should be a lil bit more international.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
J.K. Rowling has stated that her Harry Potter books will never be available in a digital format..

$haha.jpg

Too bad for her; I would have happily paid for these if she wasn't stuck in the 18th century lol

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
J.K. Rowling has stated that her Harry Potter books will never be available in a digital format..

Too bad for her; I would have happily paid for these if she wasn't stuck in the 18th century lol

Unless they're in the iPad, 'cause it's "magical"

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010

View attachment 1148

Actually there have been a couple of good reasons. Her US publisher is Scholastic, which has had a major financial windfall from publishing these books that has allowed it to cover the operations expenses for a lot of their other children's books and eBooks would remove this revenue stream. Second, the author says she want to encourage actual reading and book ownership for children (I don't know about that reason...).

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011

View attachment 1148

What app are you using and how did you get them? I already bought the big $150 collector set for my wife for xmas but I would love to put these on her nook for her.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I know about that reason, pbrauer. I guess the reason to encourage children to own and read and touch and smell a book is that by reaching your age they will know what her reason was to encourage them to do that.
Gloria

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Actually there have been a couple of good reasons. Her US publisher is Scholastic, which has had a major financial windfall from publishing these books that has allowed it to cover the operations expenses for a lot of their other children's books and eBooks would remove this revenue stream. Second, the author says she want to encourage actual reading and book ownership for children (I don't know about that reason...).

I'm fine with all that, but I'm an adult that has already touched and read thousands of books. I also have a 5 year old that has her own book collection; full of paper and dogeared pages. Plus, I love having my favorite books with me when I travel, and digital is the ultimate solution to that. Who is she to dictate how I enjoy my books? If it's artistic integrity she's worried about, I think that ship sailed along with the movie rights..

What app are you using and how did you get them? I already bought the big $150 collector set for my wife for xmas but I would love to put these on her nook for her.

That app is an old version of Aldiko premium (cough, torrent, cough) that I run instead of the one on the app market. The one on the app market is smoother, but it always ends up adding multiple copies of each book to the shelf. Annoying! So I run the old one without any problems. Plus the covers are bigger and I can see the pretty pictures. As for the HP books, torrent also, then I used Calibre to convert the files over to ePub format and add the covers. Shoot me a PM with an email address and I'll make a little digital magic happen for you.. ;) Plus, I've got a fan fiction of book 7 that puts old J.K.'s version to absolute shame..

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
Books I want: The Kedrigern Chronicles ( Vol. 1 & 2) by John Morressey. Alas, the publisher is out of business :( Also, The Great Book of Amber: The Complete Amber Chronicles, 1-10 (Chronicles of Amber) by Roger Zelazny. I doubt I will ever see that one either. The second one I will make due with my epub version converted from a pdf I found online. I bought the books as they came out and then bought the anthology. The publisher/authors estate is not missing out on profits from me given that I have bought the dead tree version of all ten twice. If they come out with an epub or kindle I will buy that too.

It's a shame how narrow minded J.K. Rowling and her publisher are. If the come out with a digital version do they realize how many duplicate purchasers they would have? If they are worried about piracy, you can download them all in pdf format and convert them to epub in a couple hours now.

Cen5

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
It's a shame how narrow minded J.K. Rowling and her publisher are. If the come out with a digital version do they realize how many duplicate purchasers they would have? If they are worried about piracy, you can download them all in pdf format and convert them to epub in a couple hours now.

Cen5

Couple hours? Really? Ever used Calibre? Once I find a book in pdf/txt/pdb/doc/whatever, it takes me about 5 minutes total to convert it, add the cover and have it on my NC.. Most of it is automatic once you've named the book and author correctly.

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
Couple hours? Really? Ever used Calibre? Once I find a book in pdf/txt/pdb/doc/whatever, it takes me about 5 minutes total to convert it, add the cover and have it on my NC.. Most of it is automatic once you've named the book and author correctly.

I was allowing time to get a cup of coffee, find and download pdf's, install calibre, set it up and do the conversion. ;)

Cen5

Myth

Aug 25, 2010
I can't wait for Graphic Novels and Comic Books to work well on the NC...like magazines do.

I also wish the Discover magazine was avaialbe.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Myth,

Using Calibre to convert them to ePub works perfectly. They're fast and look very nice. .cbr works well on a computer, but it's simply too chunky for the NC. ePub makes it work a lot better. I just wish Marvel and other comic companies had an ePub subscription service, like B&N magazines do.. I quit collecting comics for their collectible value a decade ago. Now I'm just a fan of good stories.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
:rolleyes:
I'm fine with all that, but I'm an adult that has already touched and read thousands of books. I also have a 5 year old that has her own book collection; full of paper and dogeared pages. Plus, I love having my favorite books with me when I travel, and digital is the ultimate solution to that. Who is she to dictate how I enjoy my books? If it's artistic integrity she's worried about, I think that ship sailed along with the movie rights..

That app is an old version of Aldiko premium (cough, torrent, cough) that I run instead of the one on the app market. The one on the app market is smoother, but it always ends up adding multiple copies of each book to the shelf. Annoying! So I run the old one without any problems. Plus the covers are bigger and I can see the pretty pictures. As for the HP books, torrent also, then I used Calibre to convert the files over to ePub format and add the covers. Shoot me a PM with an email address and I'll make a little digital magic happen for you.. ;) Plus, I've got a fan fiction of book 7 that puts old J.K.'s version to absolute shame..