bought new NC

john014

Feb 3, 2011
Hello everyone!

i just bought a NC and i want to start messing around with it :p

i saw the customed honeycomb image on xda and i have some questions to do it right.

I read "How Tos" first but still i'm a little confused about the steps i have to do.

So first i have to registred my nook, then make a full backup of the initial build so i can go back to it anytime. (can i then put the files on my computer?)

Then install directly nook color v1.1.0 pre rooted r2? Or do i need to update to 1.0.1?

Now, i pretty much understand how to run honeycomb from sd card.
But for other images like froyo to install to the internal memory, we need to use a rooted stock rom, go to rom manager and flash with clockworkrecovery the froyo image. If something goes wrong during the flash or after 2 weeks, is there a way to reinstall the stock rom easily?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Hello everyone!

i just bought a NC and i want to start messing around with it :p

i saw the customed honeycomb image on xda and i have some questions to do it right.

I read "How Tos" first but still i'm a little confused about the steps i have to do.

So first i have to registred my nook, then make a full backup of the initial build so i can go back to it anytime. (can i then put the files on my computer?)

Then install directly nook color v1.1.0 pre rooted r2? Or do i need to update to 1.0.1?

Now, i pretty much understand how to run honeycomb from sd card.
But for other images like froyo to install to the internal memory, we need to use a rooted stock rom, go to rom manager and flash with clockworkmod recovery the froyo image. If something goes wrong during the flash or after 2 weeks, is there a way to reinstall the stock rom easily?

Welcome to the Nook section. :)

First off just to let you know, if you don't know already, the Honeycomb images are a work in progress and are not ready for daily use. Second you don't need to be rooted or anything to run Honeycomb for a SD card. The other things you have mentioned: rooting, full backup, installing roms are things you can and need to do if you plan of running the NC normally with the software it has now. In your post you pretty much listed every major option you can do with the NC at this time.

The best thing I would suggest to go slow, step by step and call out a goal you want to accomplish.

Rooted NC
-Rooting
-Installing the b&n updates
-Installing ClockworkMod Recovery, to perform a full backup
-Flash roms, such as NookColor_v1.1.0_r2 ROM
-Flash custom kernels, cpu overclocking
-Flash 2.2 froyo rom to internal storage, (I don't recommend at this time, currently very buggy)

Alternate booting operating system (rooted or non-rooted)
-Flashing Honeycomb image to SD card
-Flashing Froyo image to SD card

To answer your last few questions:
-The android 2.2 (froyo) rom can be either flashed to sd card and ran off sd card, not touching your current internal operating system
or you can flash 2.2 over your current operating system, which I do not recommend at this time.
-Although the NC is pretty hard to break software-wise, since it has a hidden partition that holds the recovery images, flashing the early editions of froyo may cause issues and may be difficult to get your NC back to a working condition.

There is tons of great info, tutorials and great NC owners here to help you out. Read the "Helpful tips and Rooting" thread and decide which direction you want to go: Rooting, play with sd card installed roms, or both

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Welcome to the forums! Hold up a second. I think u have some steps mixed up. I will post more info in a sec...

sent from my rooted nook color

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
One note. You may want to sideload the 1.0.1 update if u r on the 1.0.0 version of barnes and noble stock software before u root. Do NOT sideload 1.1.0 update before root.

jdog

Jan 26, 2011
One note. You may want to sideload the 1.0.1 update if u r on the 1.0.0 version of barnes and noble stock software before u root. Do NOT sideload 1.1.0 update before root.

I know there are probably 10 different ways to root, but if using the autonooter option you can actually do that with 1.1.0 now. I did it lastnight and have been running with no problems for 24 hrs now.

Follow the instructions on the first post of this thread:
Auto-Nooter 2.12.25 (1.0.1 Only) - xda-developers
But instead of using the img on that page, just use the one posted later in the thread:
xda-developers - View Single Post - Auto-Nooter 2.12.25 (1.0.1 Only)
(Note that the link for the new image looks like a signature. Its the "Nooter" link...that threw me off for a bit)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I know there are probably 10 different ways to root, but if using the autonooter option you can actually do that with 1.1.0 now. I did it lastnight and have been running with no problems for 24 hrs now.

Follow the instructions on the first post of this thread:
Auto-Nooter 2.12.25 (1.0.1 Only) - xda-developers
But instead of using the img on that page, just use the one posted later in the thread:
xda-developers - View Single Post - Auto-Nooter 2.12.25 (1.0.1 Only)
(Note that the link for the new image looks like a signature. Its the "Nooter" link...that threw me off for a bit)

Ok good. Thank you. Good find! Yea its hard to see the link "nooter" it does look like a signature.

john014

Feb 3, 2011
Thanks guys for the fast reply!

Very helpful to put my thoughts in order :p

I wanted to try installing froyo to internal memory because i read somewhere people saying it was much faster than booting it from a sd card. I have a class 4 8gb. I think that may be slow. What about you guys? Do you have froyo on a sd or internal?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I am not running froyo. Haven't tried it on nook (have gingerbread on my Droid). I wouldn't put it in internal memory. I would run off sdcard. That way you could take it out if it is buggy. You prolly want to use autonooter to put android 2.1 on first.

*edited

I would not use froyo at this time.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I would not use froyo at this time.

QFT! It is ill-advised to flash Froyo, Gingerbread or honeycomb onto your Nook's internal memory at this time. None of them are true daily drivers yet. Matter of fact, there is another thread right here in the technical sub-forum where a guy is stuck in a boot loop because he flashed froyo internally. Guys that do flash it internally are the ones that like living out in the front, but they typically have the skills to fix any problems that come up.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
A stable froyo rom is right around the corner so I'd hold tight and mess around with 2.1 in the meantime.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
If you want to play with froyo or HC suggest u do it in sd boot method- neithrer are ready for prime time so not worth risking the internal setup

Thanks guys for the fast reply!

Very helpful to put my thoughts in order :p

I wanted to try installing froyo to internal memory because i read somewhere people saying it was much faster than booting it from a sd card. I have a class 4 8gb. I think that may be slow. What about you guys? Do you have froyo on a sd or internal?

Last edited:

john014

Feb 3, 2011
Backup done
updates done
NC rooted done
rom 1.1.0. r2 flash done

now having fun! :D

i still need to oc :p

Great tutorials, they helped me a lot.

Now i don t really see the needs to install froyo to internal, just gonna play with it on sd card. Safer.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Glad to hear john. :) Once you get going and started into the processes, you get a better understanding and a clearer picture of which direction you want to go with your Nook color.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Android Tablets Forum App

john014

Feb 3, 2011
I got a problem with youtube.

It just doesn t start and goes back to the main screen.

I wiped the date with titanium but then youtube only works 1 time. Anybody knows a fix?

Also, anydoby wants to recommend a better keyboard?