ClockWorkMod Recovery - Can It Switch Between Android Versions?

aretoo

Dec 9, 2013
hi all,if I make a backup with CWM of a tablet running IceCreamSandwich (ICS) then upgrade that device to JellyBean (JB) and install the same version of CWM recovery, can I then switch between these versions by using the restore feature?this is exactly what I have been trying to do with no luck and each time the restored image gets stuck on the boot logo so I am trying to verify if this is possible and I am doing something wrong or if it is not possible. thanks

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
When I tried to do this with CWM I had to flash the kernel after restoring. If the kernel isn't separate, flash the ROM (and GAPPS) if needed.

If it is a 4.2 or later JB rom, you may have issues with the new file structure using CWM unless it is a newer version.

aretoo

Dec 9, 2013
hi Frederuco, I am able to restore the backups of JB fine when JB is already installed and I just want to go back to a previous state but when I try to restore a backup of ICS it hangs on boot logo or if I am running ICS and try to restore a known working JB backup then it will also hang on the boot logo but from what you describe it sounds like it is not possible for CWM to work this way.