[RECOVERY] Official ClockworkMod Recovery Information and Versions

Stumblethru

Feb 12, 2011
Did U try it?Has any problems working at your NC?

I'm very slowly and cautiously trying it as I go through the install How To. Just finished d/l and successfully installing CWM 3.0.1.0. I haven't tried a backup as I need to get a larger sd card.

Note: I used the Nook Color choice NOT the Nook Color (old).

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I've used Nook Color (old) in all my installed of CWM recovery with no problems, but it seems some have a different opinion on which to use.

Stumblethru

Feb 12, 2011
I used it because the answer to the 4th question in the 1st post of this thread said not to use Nook Color (old). Just following directions. :>)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Faceman, is this your cue? I haven't seen it yet myself but I am wondering if this is related to the new/old nook color issue.

I have no idea... i gave up trying to get a straight answer, and it seems that once again they have done things to "fix" nook issues without explaining what the issue was and how to work around it.

Anyone using the "NEW" ROM Manager - do we still have two Nook Color choices?

I used it because the answer to the 4th question in the 1st post of this thread said not to use Nook Color (old). Just following directions. :>)

Sounds like we still have to choose, so the answer is still USE THE ONE THAT WORKS FOR YOU. If you try one and have trouble using CWR, then go back to ROM Manager and flash the other one.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have no idea... i gave up trying to get a straight answer, and it seems that once again they have done things to "fix" nook issues without explaining what the issue was and how to work around it.

Sounds like we still have to choose, so the answer is still USE THE ONE THAT WORKS FOR YOU. If you try one and have trouble using CWR, then go back to ROM Manager and flash the other one.

Yep, this is crazy.

Pupalei

Mar 21, 2011
So I'm sure I'm confused and should keep it to myself.... but I'm going to root and CM7 my buddy's NC tomorrow.

If the theory is correct that "Nook Color" works with CM7 and "Nook Color (old) goes with... other stuff, then at the end of the day I expect to be running "Nook Color".

But... you flash the recover BEFORE you put on the ROM... so at the time of recovery flash it will still be running NC 1.1.0.

So is anyone recommending flashing NC Old, updating the ROM to CM, THEN flashing Nook Color?

Or is it just flash "Nook Color" since I will be putting on CM7 the first time I boot into recovery?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
No need to keep it to yourself :) My theory is that it has to do with what you are installing. If you are flashing an ext3 ROM use "old" if you are flashing an ext4 ROM use just "Nook Color". If one doesn't work just try the other.

The only reason you are using ROM Manager is to flash CWR to your Nook so you can boot into it and flash something else (first flash the newest CWR file over the ROM Manager CWR just to make sure you aren't going to have issues with whatever ROM Manager put on there).

If you already have CWR on there you don't need to worry about which version to flash from ROM Manager, just put the newest CWR zip on an SD card and flash it over your current CWR. You could also create a bootable SD that boots into CWR and then flash the latest CWR and ROM onto your nook right from there.

JP

woniell

Apr 16, 2011
I've always heard the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked, but I think I may be testing that old adage.

Here what I am confused about:

I have Rom Manager installed on my Nook Color that was rooted using autonooter 3.0.

I want to install CWR and I have downloaded the file cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip onto my PC.

Questions:
1. Do I need to copy this zip file to the root of my Nook's SD card in order to flash this version of CWR to my internal memory?

2. Do I leave it zipped?

3. Will ROM manager automatically find cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip (or unzipped files) in the root of the SD card?

4. Can I alternatively just open Rom Manager on the Nook and press "Flash ROM" without copying cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip to the SD card?

5. It seems like any previous issues with choosing old nook vs. nook color have been resolved and I should choose nook color when flashing. Is this correct?

Thanks you for any input.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^
First off CWM rom manger and CWM recovery are two separate programs. You need to use rom manger to flash (install) CWM recovery 3.0.0.5 to your NC. You do this from within rom manger. See here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

WHen flashing CWM recovery 3.0.0.5, pick NC old if you plan to use ext.3 roms all b&n software and all custom android 2.1 & 2.2 rom, and all UD android 2.3 roms, pick Nook Color if you plan on using ext.4 CM7 roms.

Then you manually install (update) ClockworkMod recovery 3.0.1.0 version: cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip
-Place zip on root of sd card, install in CWM recovery 3.0.0.5 to update.
Update to 3.0.1 can not be done from rom manager.

In other words, copy the zip file on your sd card (not in any folder - on root of sd) > boot back into CWM recovery 3.0.0.5 > "Install zip from sd" > pick cwmr 3.0.1 zip file > press "yes" > reboot after complete.

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I'm sure you will do fine, just follow instructions and read through thoroughly. Also refresh thread, I edited my previous post.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update to OP: Official CWM recovery 3.0.2.8 Update
  • 3.0.2.8 - Sets /system to ext2. You can now backup and restore your stock roms! Delete/Update all 3.0.0.5 threads to point to 3.0.2.8 for all rom types. Rom Manager now pushes a recovery kernel as well as the ramdisk!! No need to manually install recovery kernel. Just flash the lastest from RomManager and you are done! *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*
Make sure you upgrade to latest Clockworkmod RomManager!

RomManager can now push the recovery kernel. No need to manually install via CWM or ADB! Flash from RomManager and rock and roll.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
sweet! thanks for the update

• 3.0.2.8 - Sets /system to ext2. You can now backup and restore your stock roms! Delete/Update all 3.0.0.5 threads to point to 3.0.2.8 for all rom types. Rom Manager now pushes a recovery kernel as well as the ramdisk!! No need to manually install recovery kernel. Just flash the lastest from RomManager and you are done! *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*

RomManager can now push the recovery kernel. No need to manually install via CWM or ADB! Flash from RomManager and rock and roll.

saber0091

Apr 25, 2011

Yeah, see, this is a great thing for people who "just want it to work".

But I managed to nuke my ROM by installing "Nook Color (old)" CWMR from the RomManager and following directions to install Cyanogen Mod 7.
So the NC has just NC software version 1.0.0 and CWM 3.0.0.5.

I've got cm-7.0.0-encore-signed.zip sitting on the SD card, but updating CWMR to 3.0.1.0 isn't enough.
I can dump files onto the SD card just fine via a USB cable and NC software 1.0.0, which CWMR sees.
So if someone could kindly point me to a zipfile for CWMR 3.0.2.8 instead of forcing me to hunt down and install some old ROM just so I can install ROMmanager from the Market, I would be ever so grateful. :,(