[RECOVERY] Official ClockworkMod Recovery Information and Versions

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
Sorry I'm a little confused here. You are running CM7 on EMMC and then trying to flash a newer version to EMMC from the SD card? Or you have CM7 on a bootable SD card and when you try and update the bootable SD card you keep changing the EMMC instead of the bootable SD card version?

"Or you have CM7 on a bootable SD card and when you try and update the bootable SD card you keep changing the EMMC instead of the bootable SD card version?"
This is correct everytime I try to update mysd card it goes to emmc.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Bootable cards have a different update procedure than EMMC. From XDA on updating the bootable SD card ROM ([ROM][CM7] [v1.3] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards. - xda-developers):

How to update to a new build:
put the new build you want to try on the first partition. (the name must be update-cm-*.zip or cm_encore_full*.zip or just update-*.zip)
Boot from the SDcard in the recovery mode (see above) and the new snapshot would be installed.
The partition layout would be preserved, filesystems are NOT reformatted, so your data should be safe.

So what you need to do is put the ROM zip that you want to update to on the boot partition of the SD card. The zip file must be named update-[whatever you want goes in these brackets].zip Then you need to boot into the recovery of the SD card not EMMC recovery.

Insert the uSD card back into the NOOK and boot into "Recovery mode" (hold nook N key and then press and hold power until the "Loading..." message appears and then disappears with screen going blank. Release power button, then press it again and hold for ~5 seconds, the bootloader "Loading..." message should be on the screen for three seconds or so before you release power button, keep holding N button until screen blanks again. If the screen went off while you were holding the power key, that means you were holding it for too long).
Alternatively if you do not want to fight the timing, boot normally into Android [on the SD card], then from desktop hold power key until a poweroff menu appears, In the poweroff menu choose "reboot", in the next menu choose "recovery" and press "OK". The nook would reboot straight into recovery.

Once you are in recovery of the SD card you then select Reboot from the menu and it should run the script to install the update. Once it is done running the script it should boot into the updated ROM.

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
Thanks some of that I knew but I either have the wrong file or am booting somehow to emmc recovery. I'm using a boot like very greens loader would that make a difference? Cwm is 3010 I think on the boot loader.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
Ok here is what I did before boot into sd recovery using das u-boot by j4mm3r
load update-cm-7.1.0 encore signed.zip, install
then reboot and I still have 7.0.3 on sd card and now have 7.1.0 on emmc.
Maybe its the bootloader.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
When you say "install" are you talking about manually flashing the zip? I could see how that is writing to EMMC. If you are booted into SD recovery it should detect the update and auto run the script when you choose reboot. It could be an issue that EMMC recovery is detecting the update file and doing the auto run instead. I can think of two fairly easy ways to get around this.

1. Prep the bootable SD card with the update file then put it in a stock nook (BestBuy or B&N or Staples). Now you know there will be no recovery on the EMMC and the card should run and update only itself.

2. Back up EMMC, remove recovery from EMMC and then use the SD card update method.

I think anything else will require figuring out where the overlap between EMMC recovery and SD card recovery is and possibly messing with the bootloaders, update scripts etc. In other words probably more effort to actually figure out and correct the issue. One other alternative is to Google around for this issue and see if there is a newer version of the bootable SD card that might not have this issue. I know leapinlar at XDA has modified the verygreen bootable SD and you may want to check his help thread [USER][TIPS]CM7/CM9 User Tips From LeapinLar - xda-developers. There are many details in the thread and it will most likely have a solution if you take the time to read through it.

JP