Coby Kyros 7015 Tablet questions

Tad

Dec 14, 2010
Hello, I just bought a pair of Coby Kyros 7015 tablets for my kids. These are the first tablets I have bought and my first experience with Android OS, so I have few questions.

First, I have downloaded several non functioning apps and was wondering if there is way to filter the app market to these specific devices.

Is there a way to upgrade the OS to android 2.2, I think my kids would like the flash support for web games and videos.

And anything else that you think would ease my entrance into these devices and the OS would be appreciated.

Thank you

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
There is no way to know what apps will and wont work on tablets unless they require 2.2 then you can be guaranteed they wont work and currently there is no 2.2 update for your device

Tad

Dec 14, 2010
Thank you sir, and I guess if 2.2 becomes available for my devices I will see it listed on this site's new section, I just be patiently waiting the the corner over here playing angry birds with the graphics all screwed up...lol.

Phase3d

Dec 8, 2010
You'll have to wait for Coby to release a 2.2 update if they ever do. Because if you tried to use a rom from elsewhere it probably won't have the HDMI output that this rom has. Then you would lose that function.

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum App

jackjva

Dec 18, 2010
A cousin has bought the coby 7015 for her 10 year old grandson. In setting it up for her, I noticed there is an adult content category in the app store. Can this be removed or blocked? Are there parental controls for this device?

fxdominicano

Feb 4, 2011
I just want to know if another seller release upgrade from android 2.1 to 2.2 if it can be use in coby kyros?

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Welcome! Please read the stickies at the top...they are full of info to help you get the most of of your tablet.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
A cousin has bought the coby 7015 for her 10 year old grandson. In setting it up for her, I noticed there is an adult content category in the app store. Can this be removed or blocked? Are there parental controls for this device?

No. If your cousin's grandson can't be trusted to stay away from adult stuff, he shouldn't be given the tablet. There is no way to remove or block a category from the app store.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I just want to know if another seller release upgrade from android 2.1 to 2.2 if it can be use in coby kyros?

No. Every device's firmware is different. You'll have to wait for either Coby to release an official update or for a custom ROM to be put together.

ogeight

Feb 3, 2011
hi, I just got my kyros 7015 four days ago. I was lost and confused. Here is what I found out. No so far there is no 2.2 upgrade. At least that is what everyone is telling me. I have trouble going online with my connection but have no trouble going on other peoples routers. If you go to youtube use the icon on the desktop but use the sysdev option when they ask you. You can't get the flash app if you don't have 2.2. I'm beginning to like this thing the more I learn about it's working. Your children probably got it going faster then I did :). Good luck Tad.

fxdominicano

Feb 4, 2011
Hello, I just bought a pair of Coby Kyros 7015 tablets for my kids. These are the first tablets I have bought and my first experience with Android OS, so I have few questions.

First, I have downloaded several non functioning apps and was wondering if there is way to filter the app market to these specific devices.

Is there a way to upgrade the OS to android 2.2, I think my kids would like the flash support for web games and videos.

And anything else that you think would ease my entrance into these devices and the OS would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hello: I got this from another forum hope it help you. I'm wating for my tablet to arrive to installed right away.

Hope it help you to solve your problem.

I was able to download the Flash Player 10.1 for
Elcair (2.1) Here is the website: How To: Install Flash 10.1 On Android 2.1 Eclair
Devices

And direct link for download: http://www.addictivetips.com/wp-content/uploads/android/apps/flash_for_21.zip

Has
anyone else tried this out yet? Thanks

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Hello: I got this from another forum hope it help you. I'm wating for my tablet to arrive to installed right away.

Hope it help you to solve your problem.

I was able to download the Flash Player 10.1 for
Elcair (2.1) Here is the website: How To: Install Flash 10.1 On Android 2.1 Eclair
Devices

And direct link for download: http://www.addictivetips.com/wp-content/uploads/android/apps/flash_for_21.zip

Has
anyone else tried this out yet? Thanks

It's been discussed here a few times. Seems to get mixed results. Some claim it works while others say it doesn't.

mrblase

Mar 5, 2011
I purchased a COBY 7015 2 weeks ago and immediately upgraded to the 7015A version using the instructions and upgrade file on the COBY website. The tablet works just great and while I have read about all the efforts to replace the stock ROM with an improved one so that the user has complete control over the operating system I have resisted as I just don’t see the benefit at this time. The tablet works very well with all the stock software, applications and a few new ones that I added from the Android Market Place or other sources.

That said I did miss the ability to display Flash video files when browsing the web. After some research I downloaded the SkyFire web browser, which has Flash support, and put the downloaded file on the COBY’s SD card in the root directory. Using a file manager that I installed on the COBY I found the SkyFire file on the SD card, double clicked on it and it asked me if I wanted to install the program. After the installation finished I opened the new browser and navigated to the NY Times site. A popup showed that a flash video was available on the page and I clicked on it. To my pleasant surprise and after some buffering the video played full screen and with audio. I went to other sites and had the same results. I can watch Flash video files with no hacks or rooting to the stock COBY operating system. Occasionally the video playback starts out as a reddish transparent looking video but within 20 seconds or so it starts to play with normal colors.

All I need to do now is to uninstall the original browser. Not sure how to do that as I don’t see it in the Applications Management menu and am not sure if doing so will break something else.

Last edited: