Coby Kyros Mid7012-4G

nastypup

Jan 6, 2012
There is now Clockworkmod for 7012 at KTZ site. for those that wish to install and do a factory dump

I tried it and didn't get far. Because I'm "new," I can't post and ask questions. What a stupid rule for a forum! This is what I did and I would be grateful if someone could tell me what I did wrong:

Using Snuffy 7012 Recovery:

>>Snuffy 7012 Recovery, by Myk3916 - [email protected] - Donations Welcome!

this will extract your stock recovery image.

this will not work if you have modified the recovery image
or installed any other recovery image to the recovery partiton.
if you want to quit press CTRL-C, press any key otherwise.

Press any key to continue . . .
The system cannot find the path specified.
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

done!
the original recovery image was placed on your external sdcard as:
"original_recovery.img" please keep this file somewhere safe!

...press any key to exit!
Press any key to continue . . .<<

I have adb installed.

So I went back to step one and answered "no" because it couldn't be found. Then I got this:

>>
Snuffy 7012 Recovery, by Myk3916 - [email protected] - Donations Welcome!

this will install the windows adb drivers.

Press any key to continue . . .
The system cannot find the path specified.
'PdaNetA245.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

done!
...press any key to exit!
Press any key to continue . . .<<

Where is PdaNetA245.exe supposed to be? I initially had it in my download folder and then I copied it to C:\. Should it be somewhere else? I'm already rooted with Super Oneclick.

MV10

Jan 10, 2012
I tried it and didn't get far. Because I'm "new," I can't post and ask questions. What a stupid rule for a forum!

That's odd, I signed up at KTZ yesterday for the first time and was able to post right away.

PDANet is a way to communicate with your device -- if you have ADB installed and working, you shouldn't need it, typically you'll be running other USB drivers. I prefer the Samsung drivers which you can grab from XDA:

Samsung USB drivers

However, in order to root my Coby with SuperOneClick, I found that I had to remove all Android drivers (I have had ADB and Android drivers installed for years), otherwise SuperOneClick would prompt me to install drivers, but the installation would fail. Obviously, you also have to enable USB debugging in the settings menu on your Coby.

You didn't mention whether your device was already rooted yet or not, but if you're installing PDANet, I assume it is not. To root it, first grab USBDeview from the link below, physically disconnect all USB devices, run USBDeview and go through and right-click and remove anything that refers to an Android device or Coby. You can run USBDviewer directly from the zip file, there is no install.

USBDeview homepage

Next, grab SuperOneClick from the link below, unzip it to a folder, plug in your Coby, and run the exe. Let it install the device drivers then click the Root button to root your device. It should be completely automatic.

SuperOneClick homepage

Personally, at this point I prefer to get rid of the SuperOneClick drivers and go back to the Samsung drivers.

Beyond this point, I can't help -- I tried both methods of installing the Clockwork recovery -- using flash_image via ADB shell, as well as the fastboot approach used by the Snuffy process -- and neither one worked. My original recovery (which I backed up) was gone, and now booting into recovery just brings me to the fastboot prompt. Over on KTZ the mod named acebrain has started helping me troubleshoot this.

If you get this far, though, the steps for either process are pretty straightforward. The fastboot method is especially quick -- if it works.

topgun129

Jan 12, 2012
Hi,

I'm looking to buy the MID7012 and had 2 quick questions (sorry if they are really newbie questions! :)):

1. I read a lot of pdf's for work. I just want to make sure, but I can read pdf's on this tablet correct? Just wondering since they are not associated with kindle etc.

2. I watch a lot of avi (divx) movies. Can I do that with this tablet if I load them on a SD card? Also will the quality be good or will it be sluggish?

Thanks!

nastypup

Jan 6, 2012
That's odd, I signed up at KTZ yesterday for the first time and was able to post right away.

PDANet is a way to communicate with your device -- if you have ADB installed and working, you shouldn't need it, typically you'll be running other USB drivers. I prefer the Samsung drivers which you can grab from XDA:

Samsung USB drivers

However, in order to root my Coby with SuperOneClick, I found that I had to remove all Android drivers (I have had ADB and Android drivers installed for years), otherwise SuperOneClick would prompt me to install drivers, but the installation would fail. Obviously, you also have to enable USB debugging in the settings menu on your Coby.

You didn't mention whether your device was already rooted yet or not, but if you're installing PDANet, I assume it is not. To root it, first grab USBDeview from the link below, physically disconnect all USB devices, run USBDeview and go through and right-click and remove anything that refers to an Android device or Coby. You can run USBDviewer directly from the zip file, there is no install.

USBDeview homepage

Next, grab SuperOneClick from the link below, unzip it to a folder, plug in your Coby, and run the exe. Let it install the device drivers then click the Root button to root your device. It should be completely automatic.

SuperOneClick homepage

Personally, at this point I prefer to get rid of the SuperOneClick drivers and go back to the Samsung drivers.

Beyond this point, I can't help -- I tried both methods of installing the Clockwork recovery -- using flash_image via ADB shell, as well as the fastboot approach used by the Snuffy process -- and neither one worked. My original recovery (which I backed up) was gone, and now booting into recovery just brings me to the fastboot prompt. Over on KTZ the mod named acebrain has started helping me troubleshoot this.

If you get this far, though, the steps for either process are pretty straightforward. The fastboot method is especially quick -- if it works.

I just now saw this post. The Coby has been rooted with Super Oneclick. Thanks for your post. I will try it again.

MV10

Jan 10, 2012
Hi,

I'm looking to buy the MID7012 and had 2 quick questions (sorry if they are really newbie questions! :)):

1. I read a lot of pdf's for work. I just want to make sure, but I can read pdf's on this tablet correct? Just wondering since they are not associated with kindle etc.

2. I watch a lot of avi (divx) movies. Can I do that with this tablet if I load them on a SD card? Also will the quality be good or will it be sluggish?

Thanks!

1. I haven't installed Adobe Reader but I would assume it will run just fine. I ran it on my G1 phone and this isn't very different, in terms of specs and performance. However, I think the experience would be somewhat miserable since touch screen responsiveness on this tablet is awful.

2. The app called Rock Player in the Android Market seems to play the widest range of formats that I've seen, but I don't have any DivX AVIs to test with. I'd expect an 800MHz CPU to handle video at this resolution, I think the bigger concern would be the cheap-quality LCD on this device. Also, I think you'd be surprised at how quickly video will chew through your battery charge.

MV10

Jan 10, 2012
Quoting myself to continue these instructions with more information...

Samsung USB drivers

USBDeview homepage

SuperOneClick homepage

This afternoon vampirefo and I spent some time trying different things on my tablet and determined that there are at least two different kernels in use for the MID7012. If you flash the Clockwork recovery currently available on KTZ and rebooting into recovery just sends you to the fastboot prompt, that means you have the same kernel I do. At the moment, at least, there is no Clockwork for this kernel, but you can use vampirefo's recovery instead, which is roughly equivalent.

You can find that one here:

vampirefo recovery image

(Edit: Apparently they refer to this as "KTZ recovery"...)

Flashing from fastboot is fastest and easiest, I think. Start your tablet in fastboot by holding power+menu. When the fastboot prompt comes up, go to your ADB directory and type "fastboot erase recovery" and hit enter. Then type "fastboot flash recovery xxx" (where xxx is the name of the recovery image you're flashing) and hit enter. Then type "fastboot reboot" and hit enter. You'll reboot into regular Android. To confirm it worked, you can either run "adb reboot recovery" or just power-down then power-up with power+back. In vampirefo's recovery, the volume buttons are up/down and the search button is return.

Now we just have to wait for somebody to build a better ROM for the MID7012...

Last edited:

Zhen42

Jan 15, 2012
I would be willing to post an image of my 7012 to help anyone in the endeavor to code a port of cyanogenmod(or another decent rom). I just want a decent rom for my rooted 7012. :D

brianfhart

Jan 31, 2012
Any idea why Titanium Backup will NOT delete Dialer.apk s on my 7012. It does the two reboots but they are BAAAAck. Yes, it is rooted and TB has superuser privileges....

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
You can try freenzing instead of deleting... But if you are concerned about battery usage, it won't help much: the is no radio in the tablet, so the battery usage screen info isn't accurate, see more info in another thread.

CaseyP

Jan 31, 2012
After following this thread for a few days, I now have a rooted kyros with cputuner, battery calibration, fmr memory cleaner, and a few other tuning apps. Netflix is stable at v1.2.1. Now gmail app has stopped syncing and google services force closes every 5 minutes. Those two are new as of this morning. Will update with battery life.

Sent from my MID7012 using Android Tablet Forum

EDIT: I need to reboot to fix my gmail problem. I've been on battery power for 2h 26m now showing 48 percent remaining in Battery Calibration. Out of the box it was dying by the time. 4 hours (projected) still isn't great, but it's a lot better than it has been.

Last edited:

visualboy64

Feb 8, 2012
Hello,
I just bought a Coby Kyros MID7012 when I read the box it claimed that the tablet had 256mb of ram but when I checked the es task manager it only showed that there was 128mb of ram total. My question is where is the rest of the ram?

BTW I'm new here.

liftedfevers

Feb 10, 2012
I need a copy of a backup stock rom for the coby mid7012-4g. I've seen where there are post on KTZ but none of the stock roms work for my tablet :(

mindofclay

Feb 14, 2012
Where the heck is the battery status light?
Had the same question after reading the manual for my new Coby mid7012-4g. Just got off the phone with Coby customer service. Was informed for the the model 7012, there is no status light and I shouldn't look for something that doesn't exist. As for charge time I was told about 3 hours initially. I've seen posts suggesting charging overnight and was informed that it should never take that long to charge even on the first charge. Hope it helps. Best of Luck.