Coby Kyros Mid7012-4G

xxBrun0xx

Nov 27, 2011
Hey guys,
Sorry I've been away for a while. Ended up selling my Kyros to a friend and using the money to buy a Nook Color, and honestly never looked back.

My best advice to owners of this tablet is to jump ship, and here's why:

-A Nook Color refurb can be had for $130 (Barnes and Noble is known for quality refurbs), which means a used one off craigslist can be found for roughly $100 (how much I paid for my nook color).
-The NC has 512MB RAM
-The NC has an 800MHz processor that can easily be overclocked to 1.2GHz without adversely affecting battery life
-The NC has a capacitive, multitouch screen (just as responsive as every other high-end tablet)
-The NC battery is enormous (4000 mAh)
-The NC has a TON of android support (custom roms, kernals, etc)
-CM9 is being built for the NC meaning it will soon, if not already, be able to run a stable version of Ice Cream Sandwich
-Barnes and Noble is excellent about customer service. I walked in with a rooted NC running CM7 that I bought used. I explained to the clerk that when I bought it, the charger I got was faulty and she gave me a new one, no questions asked, for free. Can't beat that! (They even sell guides on how to root the NC in their stores!)

Here are what the Kyros has going for it:
-A new one will run you $96 on Amazon, and good luck finding one used.
-The Kyros has 256MB RAM
-The Kyros has an 800MHz processor that is unstable past 800MHz (in my experience, anyways)
-The Kyros has a resistive screen without multitouch, meaning it is a real pain to operate, even with a stylus
-The Kyros battery is small (although I can't seem to find an actual size). But if you've used it, you know, it's really horrible.
-Although Kyros's in general have a good amount of support, this particular model has virtually none. No one wants to waste their time making custom roms for such a slow, cheaply made device.
-I can guarantee you will never see Ice Cream Sandwhich running on the MID7012. It has enough trouble just running the stock Gingerbread launcher.
-To be honest, I'm not sure how good Coby's customer service is, but I can't imagine it's better than B&N's.

So it's really your call. After owning both tablets, I can honestly say I will never touch another MID7012 as long as I live. There is no reason whatsoever to get one of these over a Nook Color.

blackbird77

Feb 18, 2012
tryed all the threads to get my coby 7012 to use the marketplace apps, still nothing. keeps saying cannot access google servers. tryed installing all the files 3 times, rebooted 4 times, etc. i have a google account. can go to browser and sign in, and into gmail, but can't get into the marketplace app. any suggestions. thanx

mianfei

Feb 25, 2012
I was actually thinking we should replace some hardware components of this tab to get a great, affordable device, starting with the battery. If you run the cpu near 800, you run your battery down really fast. Any EE's here? I dabble but not enough to know what kind of battery we'd need.

dejawoo

Feb 25, 2012
I'd like to replace the battery too if possible... I can live with the processor and ram but the battery on this tablet is laughable.

naizarak

Feb 28, 2012
just received my 7012 earlier today, spent a couple of hours rooting/unlocking it following your guides and everything seems to work fine now.

for anyone having problems as i was:

For installing marketplace:
1. Follow post #6 as a guide. Download all necessary files from post #12/13(not sure exactly). The link is to a zip archive, extract all folders to the root of your 7012 or use USB storage.
2. However, after installing everything, don't use the included gmail.apk app. Google for "gmail apk 2.3" or something like that, it was the first link for me. Using this updated version you'll be able to succesfully link your google account. If you use an older version, like the one included in the archive, you'll get an "unable to connect to servers" error.
3. Once you get gmail working with your accounts linked, use the included vending.apk and market updater.apk to complete marketplace installation.

For rooting:
Windows 7 natively detected my 7012 without any SDK drivers. Simply connected it to my computer, enabled "USB Debugging" mode, downloaded that superoneclick 2.23 program. It installed necessary drivers for me and rooted it succesfully with one click. It really was super easy.

As others have recommended, be sure to download titanium backup and uninstall the dialer.apk files to reduce batter usage.

Just curious if we have native flash support yet? As I understand, Flash Lite 4.0 is custom-made for certain phones and there's no generic installer. Flash 10.0+ doesn't work either because the 7012 uses an outdated CPU. The Puffin browser is capable of displaying flash media(poorly at that), but I'm pretty sure it's just offloading the actualy flash duties to their own servers and streaming the video back to you. Basically it doesn't enable flash either.

naizarak

Feb 28, 2012
small update:

I got flash working using this thread:
[APP] Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.59 ARMv6 - xda-developers

Native support in dolphin/opera mini, works as should. Video playback is pretty poor though, 10FPS at best. Also the 4 files in my lib folder get erased every time I turn off my 7012, maybe someone smarter can help me out with this, seems like i'm missing something obvious. Maybe I need to configure the permissions/ownership differently?

Also, can anyone recommend any good CPU overclocking/ram management software for the 7012? Need to find a way to speed this thing up until someone(hopefully) released a lightweight ROM.

guru1ofatl

Mar 3, 2012
The following steps were performed on Windows 7
Result may vary for other OS's

BEFORE DOING ANY OF THE FOLLOWING go to settings/applications/development and enable USB debugging.
When rooting is complete, disable this.

1. Download PdaNetA325 (easy to find on Google)
2. Run the PdaNet executable making sure to select the Samsung driver
3. Follow the simple instructions provided by the program until the device is tethered
Note: This will include installing and running PdaNet on your tablet

4. Download SuperOneClick (I used 2.3.3 although others MAY work)
5. With the device still tethered from the first 3 steps, run SuperOneClick and select root
6. Once the rooting is complete the device will be stuck in a loop at the Android logo, perform a hard reset using a paperclip or similar

Your 7012 is now rooted.

I then installed and ran Battery Calibration and CPU Tuner which improved performance greatly. As a side note this also corrects the screen flicker when the tablet is put to sleep. Battery life is greatly improved.

Last edited:

CaseyP

Jan 31, 2012
Hey guys, this thread have been insanely helpful to me since I've had my tablet. Now however I am really really stuck and none of the guides or tutorials I've found have been able to help out with this particular problem.

I had my 7012 rooted with SuperOneClick. A friend bought it, so I did a factory reset, and then a reboot from recovery console. Now it boots to the Coby logo, then the Android logo...but that's as far as it gets.

I've tried repeated factory resets, cache reset, and the little pin hole reset on the back. I think I need to flash to the stock rom again, but I couldn't find factory official image on the Coby USA site, and KTZ says that they no longer support their recovery image.

Even if I had the image, I have no idea how to get it on the system, since I can't enter USB data mode or any other mode other than accessing the recovery console. I have a 16 gig and a 2 gig micro SD card. I think I still have the ADP google drivers installed and everything from when I had to root it.

Can anyone please, please link me to a guide or discussion that details this sort of procedure? on KTZ they seem to keep saying "read the instructions" but after literally hours of scouring the sub forum there are NO instructions on how to recover the image or install a new rom. Just discussions of the rom itself, but no how-to's.

I really need help on this one, since I want to get it recovered and stable before handing it off to my friend.

Thanks all,

CaseyP

jradbic4d

Mar 18, 2012
Hey guys I get to manually install drivers. Set it to the correct directory but windows says unable to install the drivers??

fsmith9009

Mar 22, 2012
Yes you can read PDF files. I am looking at one now. I downloaded the adobe reader from the Amazon Market place (not installed by default but free) and it works fine. This unit can play avi files wonderfully. I watched a 720P avi movie recently and was amazed how good it looked on the display and sounded fine using the ear buds in the box. However you need to instal a proper video player and the codec. I got MX Video Player and the MX Video Player Codec ( ARMv6 VFP) from the Android market which is not included but free ( can't get the google play store however). When I first got this unit I was very frustrated because I knew nothing about how to get the apps I needed as the installed app store is useless, for me anyway. I first got the Amazon market on here I believe via direct download. Then I got the file manager ES File Explorer and Android Zip Pro from Amazon, both free but needed.

I had no idea what I was doing at this point. Get a micro SD card, this is a must. I found a youtube user who did a video for the Coby 7022 but it worked fine. Watch the whole vid and read the comments. Worked fine. Be prepared to tweak this baby for full usage and enjoyment. The more I use it the more I enjoy it. An APK installer is installed by default which you need if I remember correctly. Good luck. I got flash 10.3 and the android market. opera mini is the best browser for this unit IMHO.

Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

popmartin

Mar 23, 2012
my MID7012 was rooted, had titanium backup installed (free version), I ran a backup and had to reset the tablet to get it to function. Then I had to run the factory restore and reinstalled my apps. I backed up and uninstalled a couple apps that maybe I should not have uninstalled. NOW, it is a brick with the android logo displayed until the battery croaks. Any help or suggestions? I tried Formula1.zip, but it stops after a couple of lines and says installation aborted. any help would be greatly appreciated.

fsmith9009

Mar 22, 2012
market 1.8 i think so I am gonna put the 2.3 on there. Is that the new google play market or android market, do you know?market 1.8 i think so I am gonna put the 2.3 on there. Is that the new google play market or android market, do you know?
just received my 7012 earlier today, spent a couple of hours rooting/unlocking it following your guides and everything seems to work fine now.

for anyone having problems as i was:

For installing marketplace:
1. Follow post #6 as a guide. Download all necessary files from post #12/13(not sure exactly). The link is to a zip archive, extract all folders to the root of your 7012 or use USB storage.
2. However, after installing everything, don't use the included gmail.apk app. Google for "gmail apk 2.3" or something like that, it was the first link for me. Using this updated version you'll be able to succesfully link your google account. If you use an older version, like the one included in the archive, you'll get an "unable to connect to servers" error.
3. Once you get gmail working with your accounts linked, use the included vending.apk and market updater.apk to complete marketplace installation.

For rooting:
Windows 7 natively detected my 7012 without any SDK drivers. Simply connected it to my computer, enabled "USB Debugging" mode, downloaded that superoneclick 2.23 program. It installed necessary drivers for me and rooted it succesfully with one click. It really was super easy.

As others have recommended, be sure to download titanium backup and uninstall the dialer.apk files to reduce batter usage.

Just curious if we have native flash support yet? As I understand, Flash Lite 4.0 is custom-made for certain phones and there's no generic installer. Flash 10.0+ doesn't work either because the 7012 uses an outdated CPU. The Puffin browser is capable of displaying flash media(poorly at that), but I'm pretty sure it's just offloading the actualy flash duties to their own servers and streaming the video back to you. Basically it doesn't enable flash either.

I have the android market 1.8 i think so I am gonna put the 2.3 on there. Is that the new google play market or android market, do you know?

CaseyP

Jan 31, 2012
my MID7012 was rooted, had titanium backup installed (free version), I ran a backup and had to reset the tablet to get it to function. Then I had to run the factory restore and reinstalled my apps. I backed up and uninstalled a couple apps that maybe I should not have uninstalled. NOW, it is a brick with the android logo displayed until the battery croaks. Any help or suggestions? I tried Formula1.zip, but it stops after a couple of lines and says installation aborted. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the same situation, android logo boot loop. I can access recovery console and that's it. I had mine rooted, did a factory reset, and that's when the problem started.