Coby Kyros Mid7012-4G

naizarak

Feb 28, 2012
i accidentally bricked my 7012 as well when trying out custom ROM's. it took me a while just to figure out where to start, and even longer to actually fix the darn thing

so to anyone else having problems, hopefully my experiences will save you a couple of headaches

1. As I understand, the stock android recovery program only accepts signed files. From all my searching I was unable to find a stock 7012 rom restore file, so this option is basically a no-go.
2. You'll need an alternative restore program, like clockwork or KTZ recovery.
3. I personally used KTZ recovery, which can be found on the kyros tablet zone forums(sorry i'm too lazy to search for it right now), Clockwork should work just as well though.
4. Since your tablet is broken(I'm assuming) and you have no access to the android OS, you won't be able to install the recovery through the tablet itself, you'll have to use the ADB interface through your computer.
5. At this point you should have ADB USB drivers installed. If you rooted with superone click you should already have them, otherwise you might have to download them through the android sdk directly.
6. With drivers installed, turn on the tablet while holding down the power and menu keys simultaneously.
7. Device should now be in fastboot mode with blue letters at the bottom of the screen.
8. Install the android sdk(I used version 16). It's easier to use the zip archive and simply extract the sdk folder to the root of your C drive.
9. Open up command prompt.
10. Navigate to your android sdk directory
I renamed my sdk folder to simply "android" and placed it on the root of my C drive, so for me the commands were
cd C:\\
cd android

Then navigate to your platform-tools folder w
cd platform-tools

then run
fastboot devices

if you get a response line of "? fastboot", then it means your tablet was recognized
if you get "waiting for devices", then you most likely have a problem with drivers. again, running superoneclick should install them automatically. otherwise you can get them through the SDKmanager.exe in the android sdk folder. Browse to "extras" and select "Google usb driver package"

so assuming your 7012 has been recognized
place your clockwork/ktz recovery image file in the same platform tools folder

then run
adb flash recovery "insert-name here".img
so if your cwm/ktz file is named "customRecovery.img" for example, your command would be
adb flash recovery customRecovery.img

let it flash
then type
fastboot boot "insert-name here".img
using the previous example, you'd get
fastboot boot customRecovery.img

if the above doesn't work for w/e reason, you can boot into recovery by turning on the tablet while holding down the power and back keys

if recovery is working for you and booting successfully, transfer your ROM to your SD card through your computer
i'd recommend one of the roms on kyros tablet zone, i'm personally using formula 1
the file should be in a .zip format
if you don't have an SD card, it's also possible to transfer files to the tablet directly by using "USB-MS toggle" mode from the recovery itself. this will allow you to access your internal-sd contents directly through your computer, obviously USB must be connected

so transfer your ROM of choice to the tablet through either USB-MS mode, or directly on an sd card
from recovery, select "Flash zip menu", enter by pressing search key, then select "Choose zip from..." depending on your storage medium, and browse to the transfered ROM .zip file. Let it flash, turn off the tablet, and hopefully it'll be working now.

If your tablet is still bricked, don't worry, this happened to me, too - but this time you will need an SD card.
Boot into recovery, go to "Backup-restore", and select "nand backup". you should now have a backup folder of your nand on your sd card
open this on your computer, go into the backup folder, and replace all the .img files(boot.img, system.img, recovery.img, etc) with the .img files from your ROM .zip archive
with all files replaced, put the sd back in your tablet, access recovery mode
go to nand backup/restore
and restore from your sd card

I know this is a very very rough guide. If anyone needs more help please post here explaining your problems and I'll do a more in-depth explanation.

fsmith9009

Mar 22, 2012
Well it seems I got flash installed but it does not work. Upgraded to 11.1 I believe and it is listed as an installed application but anytime I try to use anything requiring flash I get a message saying I need flash. I have not rooted as of yet but plan to. Can anyone say with any certainty that they got flash working without rooting and if so how they did it?

Apr 12, 2012
i accidentally bricked my 7012 as well when trying out custom ROM's. it took me a while just to figure out where to start, and even longer to actually fix the darn thing

so to anyone else having problems, hopefully my experiences will save you a couple of headaches

Here is the story of my 7012....

I got a fantastic deal on it at Thansgiving.... for my 4y dd.... We have had problems with the electric outlet. My father (who is an electronics guru) has fixed it several Times.... The last time though we ended up with a white screen.... It will turn off/on but nothing else....

I have done the "reset" button many times....

Tried some of the above.... connected to laptop (not recognized) - I have a brand new i7, win7
added sd card - nothing
power / back button - nothing
power / menu button - nothing....

Actually - for all of the above, the white screen will turn on....

Thank you for any help,
MOM

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Not much to go on, what was the last thing you did to the tablet before the white screen appeared? Usually white screen means display drivers are misalignment so, you might need to restore your backup, and reinstall kernel.

Apr 12, 2012
Not much to go on, what was the last thing you did to the tablet before the white screen appeared? Usually white screen means display drivers are misalignment so, you might need to restore your backup, and reinstall kernel.

We had been having problems with the power adapter (where it connects to the tablet) the wiring was coming loose.... My father soddered it back in place several times.... Now I know that we can just charge it with USB.... will maybe do that also in the future if we can get it working....

I never did anything with it..... we opened it out of box, put some games etc on it and my 4y dd played with it (was for her).... she watches a lot of kid's shows from YouTube on it..... no backup other than what came on it.....

I mentioned some of the things I have tried per people's few posts online.... I even looked inside yesterday at the wiring - hoping I would see something amiss.... :(

Thank you...

KarenBCN

Oct 27, 2011
Momof9blessings or anyone else who knows--how do you use the USB cord to charge the 7012? I thought something was wrong with my power cord, because one day it just wouldn't stay in my tablet. I thought a rubber ring had fallen off. But after ordering a new cord & seeing that, although it's too small, the tip looks just like my tip, I'm afraid the problem is in my tablet. I'd rather charge it with the USB cord than go through the hassle of trying to get it replaced. Thanks.

vulcanize

Dec 28, 2011
small update:

I got flash working using this thread:
[APP] Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.59 ARMv6 - xda-developers

Native support in dolphin/opera mini, works as should. Video playback is pretty poor though, 10FPS at best. Also the 4 files in my lib folder get erased every time I turn off my 7012, maybe someone smarter can help me out with this, seems like i'm missing something obvious. Maybe I need to configure the permissions/ownership differently?

I was wondering about the same too. It is a pain to copy/paste the four files and reconfigure et al.

Did you come across any solution yet????

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

victormnavaso

Dec 9, 2012
I bricked my MID7012 trying to update with FWDN, now im stuck in blue words: Device enter Fastboot mode, and if i push reset, and then push VOL + power, the device enter on FWDN. PLEASE! i need to rebuild the system again! HELP ME!

DinBan

Dec 23, 2012
has anyone ever replaced the screen / glass on the 7012???

Hi I do it today, original touch screen cracked and I buy some other touchscreen with same size but not 100% compatible cable, but I'm install it withing 1 hour including time for smoking and making tea :) Original digitizer was replaced with A364A-P061103-2113

$MI0000335788.jpg