cyanogen mod

hankm24

Dec 19, 2010
If i install cyanigen mod for coby kyros can i boot into clockwork mod and return to android 2.1 if i dont like cyanogen mod ?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
The purpose of a properly installed and configured Clockwork is so that you can easily switch ROMs, or backup and restore full images of the current state of your tablet for when you completely hose it (the voice of experience here).

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
yes. clockwork should be used for backups, then roms. oh, and did i mention BACKUPS?

hankm24

Dec 19, 2010
Ok thx guys has anybody installed cyanogen mod on this device and if so can u tell me if its good or not

Sent from my MID7015 using Tapatalk

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
there are instructions for an experimental build if you just search a bit....

Sir Robin

Jan 22, 2011
I have Cyanogen and am very happy with it, my Kyros stock was not usable (I got FC with every attempt to add any shortcut or widgets) you do have to follow the process step by step for installing and do the back up and then move it all to your computer before proceeding. I made sure I had the ADK working first, I found a step by step wiki for getting it working, glad I did because at one point even following the steps I lost all touchscreen function and had to do everything while connected to my computer.
It may seem like a lot but do the homework first and have things backed up, I had very little idea what I was doing and have mine working with CM 6.1 which is Android 2.2.
Apps2SD does not work but that I think has to do with Coby Identifying the internal memory as an SD (not sure though), Neither does Angry Birds, strange it did at first but I messed around some and have not been able to get it again.

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
I have Cyanogen and am very happy with it, my Kyros stock was not usable (I got FC with every attempt to add any shortcut or widgets) you do have to follow the process step by step for installing and do the back up and then move it all to your computer before proceeding. I made sure I had the ADK working first, I found a step by step wiki for getting it working, glad I did because at one point even following the steps I lost all touchscreen function and had to do everything while connected to my computer.
It may seem like a lot but do the homework first and have things backed up, I had very little idea what I was doing and have mine working with CM 6.1 which is Android 2.2.
Apps2SD does not work but that I think has to do with Coby Identifying the internal memory as an SD (not sure though), Neither does Angry Birds, strange it did at first but I messed around some and have not been able to get it again.

I've been trying to install cyanogen as a secondary rom for a few days now. I'm experienced with all of this but cannot get past the md5 mismatch error. I've downloaded the same files three times. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sir Robin

Jan 22, 2011
I've been trying to install cyanogen as a secondary rom for a few days now. I'm experienced with all of this but cannot get past the md5 mismatch error. I've downloaded the same files three times. Does anyone have any suggestions?

No suggestions from me, my son dropped my kyros from about 12 inches and the screen is now out of calibration, I was hoping that maybe reinstalling the ROM may help in some way. When I tried, all of my saved roms gave me the md5 errors... so now it just sits on the floor for him to play with.
Pretty disappointed, thinking of buying one of the new ones but may just hold out for xoom or Toshiba tablet with honeycomb.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Under this ROM how much free memory showing? There has been reports by Google Android that OS 2.1 and OS 2.2 have memory leak issues. OS 2.3 was suppose to fix those issues.

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
Under this ROM how much free memory showing? There has been reports by Google Android that OS 2.1 and OS 2.2 have memory leak issues. OS 2.3 was suppose to fix those issues.

When I run cyanogen with auto memory manager set to aggressive, I have 85-95mb free which is NOT the same amount of ram available as I do on my OG Droid running a similar 2.2.1 version (UD 2.5.0). On my Droid, I have 100-105mb free using auto memory manager as well. Now the really weird thing is that when I run ANY version of gingerbread on my Droid, I have 60-70mb free withe the same exact setup. Gingerbread takes more resources to run, which is why everyone says it runs so fast. I know this kyros has a memory issue and is not related to android because every android device I've seen boots up with the same TOTAL amount of ram before and after booting but the kyros only says 160mb total or something after boot....

tpurdin

Feb 21, 2011
you can also install rom manager from market ( you can use free version ) rom manager will backup your current rom ( clockwork ) and allow you to switch between roms with ease. Once you have cyanogean up and running goto rom manager and save and then you can switch back and fourth with the click of a button, this is of course once you get clockwork working properly. I have not tested this on the tablet however it works on my android phone. I imagine it works with 2.1 as my phone is on 2.2

tpurdin

Feb 21, 2011
ROM manager does not work on the kyros.

I am going to keep my mouth shut now lol. Before I get someone in trouble. Maybe a programming idea someone making a Rom manager for kyros. Just a thought