DII-pad Microphone

seashell

Dec 31, 2012
So, my kid is having a great time with her DII pad (amazing how an 8yo can pick up new OS's), but when she went to use skype for a voice call to a friend, the friend had a lot of trouble hearing her- I've tested it now, and using both Skype (computer-to-computer) and GrooveIP (to make a phone call to my cell phone) the audio from the device has a lot of noise and static. Making a video, though, the sound input is fine (well, I mean, about what you'd expect from a tiny microphone-hole on the side of a tablet- a bit hollow and thin, but not noisy).

I've left it with the stock ROM; I don't think there is anything in the modified ROMS here that we need, but perhaps I am mistaken?

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions to make VOIP usable, and *mostly* wondering whether anyone knows if the headphone jack is, by some chance, a 4-conductor combo headphone/mic jack that we could use an external headset on.... the kid took my iPad (origingal version) back last night to be able to use Skype, and that's exactly why I got her her own tablet, so I could have my old iPad back and she could even do video Skype. (The DII works great for her for everything else, though- Netflix, games, and she's even discovered the joys of eBooks with the Kindle app).

seashell

Dec 31, 2012
Well, answered my question about the headphone jack (no, the headphone jack does not double as a microphone) by getting a set of earbuds w/mic for $5 (I may be slightly addicted to Big Lots as my go-to technology store. It's like Fry's Electronics for poor people (like me)). The earbuds/mic work great on my phone, though.

Dec 18, 2012
the Myfishbear rom has dspmanager I think its called and he mentions more about it on the rom thread. Not sure if he mentions it on the 512mb d2 pad or the 1gb of ram version. But he talks about how to get the best sound quality etc with that program. I dont know if that helps you but any info is good sometimes.