Ematic E-GLIDE Android Mobile Internet

vprime

Feb 25, 2011
I have an Ematic and like it. For the price, it's a nice tablet...Couple things.... only one micro sd stot for up to 16 gig. The only way I could do the "update" was thru Windows...plugging in my tablet from its micro USB (supplied) to my laptops USB. Still trying to figure out to use my HDMI out to my LG 42" HDTV HDMI in. The unit is made by XO.

GeorgiaKee

Feb 25, 2011
I have the same tablet and cannot find any 3G connection for it. Im upset with that because my main reason for buying was because it said that it supported 3G connection. I just though I could use my verizon usb for it but thats not happening. If anyone knows where I can get a modem/dongle that works please let me know where i cna purchase?

paulwayne

Feb 20, 2011
Dear newnick, Hi....I have the same problem. The firmware update instructions state to use "XP", I'm running Windows-7. Do I change the drive r from "XP" to "Win7". Also, could you please provide me the instructions how you updated the firmware? The instructions in the user manual are not clear or user friendly. Please help. Thanks.

paulwayne

Feb 20, 2011
Dear GeorgiaKee, I have the same issue, that is why I purchased the E-Glide, because it supports 3G service. Did you find a compatible 3G dongle that works with the E-Glide? Do you have a make, model number, brand of the 3G dongle? Thanks, Paulwayne.

GeorgiaKee

Feb 25, 2011
Hi Paul, No I havent found any 3G support. In another post, I talked about how I called the Ematic company and asked if they could recommend any and they told me they couldn't tell me that information...serious bummer. I have been looking into 3G usb portable wifi hotspot. You plug your 3G usb into and it turns it into a wifi hotspot. The only thing is, I (my mom) just shelled out 169 dollar for the tablet and I really hate to turn around and have to spend more on another product because the tablets not living up to it specs. If I find out anything though, you will be the first to know since were in the same boat lol :)

Last edited:

kyres

Feb 28, 2011
Can you upload the update.img somewhere? I have the same tablet but the mini cd that came with it is damaged and does not read the update.img file. Mine came with Android 2.1, the update increase the firmware version or something? I really appreciate any help with the update.img file.

Thanks!

I have an Ematic and like it. For the price, it's a nice tablet...Couple things.... only one micro sd stot for up to 16 gig. The only way I could do the "update" was thru Windows...plugging in my tablet from its micro USB (supplied) to my laptops USB. Still trying to figure out to use my HDMI out to my LG 42" HDTV HDMI in. The unit is made by XO.

kyres

Feb 28, 2011
By the way, Angry Birds does not run on mine, do not know if it is because I have not update it yet (cd came damaged).

Sunigirl

Feb 19, 2011
Hi Androo--

I believe the instructions in the user manual (and on the cd) are out-of-date. I've had the Eglide for about a week and have used Windows 7 x64 to try a few different custom roms using RKTools and they have flashed beautifully. The "upgrade" that the Eglide comes with is a copy of the original firmware--nice to have in case you want to return to it (which I did!).

Personally, what I really like about the eGlide is that it comes loaded with apps and games and needed very little customization for my use. I have a generic tablet (aPad 710) and never could do much with it due to problems with obtaining the root permissions. (the cramfs files were cramping my style!) The Eglide, however, will temp root with z4root and/or Universal Androot out of the box :cool: and I am able to use ADB or Terminal Emulator with SU permissions until I reboot.

I mentioned that I returned to the original firmware (using the "update" image that is on the CD) because I was able to get root permissions. For some reason, when I rooted the Eglide and flashed Droidhound's custom rom for resistive apad 710, I lost root and the ability to obtain root (using all the ways I could think of).:confused:

In closing, I think it would be fair to say the eGlide is nearly a clone of the aPad 710, but much more user-friendly for me. :) I hope you enjoy yours!

Hi, I just got an Ematic E-Glide and I can barely find any support for it. I was rummaging through the CD it came with and found out I can upgrade it, but the instructions are confusing and are implying that I use XP instead of Win7. It's currently at 2.1, can it even be upgraded to 2.2? And if so, how do I do it?

paulwayne

Feb 20, 2011
dear newnick, hi....i read that the eglide does support DRM. How did you upgrade the firmware, the instructions were not clear since i'm running windows-7, sp-1, 64 bit. Do you have clear firmware update instructions? Also, do you know of a compatible 3G dongle that supports the e-glide?

paulwayne

Feb 20, 2011
dear sungirl, could you please tell me how you updated the eglide firmware, the instructions are not clear and i'm running windows-7, sp-1, 64 bit. thanks, paulwayne.

Sunigirl

Feb 19, 2011
dear sungirl, could you please tell me how you updated the eglide firmware, the instructions are not clear and i'm running windows-7, sp-1, 64 bit. thanks, paulwayne.

No problem! Just for reference, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit, which is why I know the CD you received with your eGlide tablet works with your OS. I copied the entire CD directly to my desktop and used the files from there.

**For anyone who might need the original firmware for the eGlide 7 inch tablet, I uploaded the image file here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/fa2527xk9nn70ne/eGlide.img

And, just to make sure we're talking about the same device, here are several details to compare:

Ematic eGlide, MID, 2.1
Firmware: v1.02_14.13-MC_EN-2011.01.13
Kernel: 2.6.25_(V140_HY2_RHJ)
Build number: VO.18.ECLAIR.R.zmg.20101112.142908
Release Codename: REL
API Level : 7
Board: trout
Brand: rockchip
Fingerprint: rockchip/MID/MID/trout:2.1-update1/Eclair/eng.zmg.20101112.142908:user/test-keys
ID: ECLAIR
Processor: ARM926EJ-S rev 5 (v5l)
Sensors: Rockchip 3-axis Accelerometer: 3.0 mA

Now, back to your original question. I followed these instructions verbatim:
Page 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?5t8cp3erds0p49w
Page 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?1acj10o6e44k111

The directions are a bit confusing, especially if you've never done this before, so here they are in my own words:

1. Open the RKAndroidBatchUgrade.exe file
2. With tablet powered off, hold down ESC key and plug into the USB port on your computer
3. Your computer will start looking for the driver for your tablet. (you can let go of ESC key) You can follow the computer prompts, or go to your device manager and install the Windows 7 driver located in the drivers folder of the RKtools.
4. Once you have the driver installed, RKAndroidBatchUpgrade should recognize your tablet and a box in the device upgrade area should turn green.
5. Select image file under setting (which in this case would be the eGlide image from me or the original update image from your CD)
6. Once selected, everything else necessary for the upgrade will be filled in automatically.
7. Select Upgrade and sit back and wait...you will see the box change colors, or possibly go blank for a short time. The most important thing is to make sure your tablet is fully charged before beginning and don't unplug it from your computer until the calibration screen pops up on your tablet. You may think it's finished before then, (RKAndroid Batch Upgrade will say it's 100% complete and successful, but it's still working in the background.)

Do you have the original cd that came with the tablet? If so, it has the RKtools that you will need. If not, you can download them here: rktools.zip (source: from flip3547's post on Slatedroid here: How to flash a rooted ROM - SlateDroid.com)

Hope this helps you out. I'm not an expert by any means, but I will be happy to try to answer any specific questions you have...or at least point you to where you might find answers.

Good luck! :)

kyres

Feb 28, 2011
Sunigirl you rock!! Thanks!!
Are you able to play AngryBirds or use Skype on the eGlide?

kyres

Feb 28, 2011
Just want to post also some of my impressions with the eGlide, and some of the issues I have found.

Charging and Battery: First time I connected the power cord to charge it, after a while, it said battery was at 2% and once I unplugged the charger it powered off saying low battery. The fix? I pushed the reset button and the eGlide came back online showing 100% battery charge. Still think the battery indicator does not work well.

Battery usage depends on the use, I checked what was consuming more battery and the "Cell Standby" shows 72% of battery usage, I know this eGlide supports the connection of a 3G dongle, but looks like even without it, some cell functions remain active all the time, not sure if the hardware has some cell phone chips inside.
I use an application that allows to put the eGlide on Airplane mode but allows me to turn on WiFi still on this mode, battery has remain good for around 4 hours of normal usage, no big games just browsing internet and looking some ebooks.

Applications:

Angry Birds give me a white screen but no game, Angry Birds Seasons shows me the white screen and sounds but nothing else.

Skype, stuck at logging part, but nothing else, it just gets stuck there, I saw on some other forums that is a glitch on this kind of tablets.

Zinio: I got it from XDA forum, application requires 3 .apk files to install, however when I open the main application to open Zinio, the application crashes, which is too bad I want to have my magazines on this tablet.

Tango: this one works as facetime, but the application gives me an error and does not install.

Wish list: An option to turn off any "cell standby" or cell related radios. Zinio reader for this or any Android tablet, at this moment is only available to certain brands.
A fix for the battery gauge will be nice, and also a fix to the charging issue, to stop resetting it.

As a curious thing, when I order mine on Amazon, mine came with a front camera, which is not advertised not even on the specs.
Funny, on the eMatic page says that it has FM Radio, which I do not see anywhere.

Tech Support: I email them because my cd has some damage and I cannot read the .img file, no reply after 3 days. Thanks to Sunigirl for the help with this one.

Android Market works fine, I know this will not happen but it will be great to have an upgrade to Android 2.2 so you can move the applications to the SD Card.

Bottom line, I do like it, this is my first Android device and I really like the OS, If I can get Zinio reader for this tablet, it will be perfect, so far, I will keep it even with the issues, I'm a tech, so I'm used to deal with this glitches and I can live with that, for the price is a great device!!

Please continue posting your experience with the device!

Last edited:

paulwayne

Feb 20, 2011
dear sungirl, thanks for the quick reply. I received my eglide on Friday and fully charged the battery. I have not used it yet because i wanted to install the update. I'm runn windows-7, home premium, sp-1, 64 bit. How do I et the device detials, I guess I must go intot he menus. I have the original CD that came with the tablet, MID drivers V1.1 What is the RKtools and why do I need them? Do i run the RKAndroidBatchupgrade.exe file on my laptop first? I'm new to the android system, please bare with me. thanks for your help. I'll get back to you. thnaks. paulwayne.