Five things that indicate whether you have a keeper, a lemon, or just new technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
OK, You have the dream or desired Tablet for Christmas. Sure, it was for your wife, kids, husband... But, we know the truth. You have your eyes on it for yourself. But how do you know what is the quality of your unit. You see posts about electronic or Battery problems and you begin to wonder. Well here are five basic rules to use to evaluate your tablet for strength, reliability, and reliability. This is especially important as the QA for some of the units seem to be uneven.

1. The tablet (or any electronic device) that breaks within 10 operating hours or first week is likely defective and should be returned. This is why you should immediately do rule #2

2. Complete a Burn-in/functionality test as soon as possible. Charge fully, Power up, and leave running for 4-6 hours minimum. 10-12 hours is better. During this time complete Rule #3.

3. Test every app, and hardware capability. If it says Bluetooth. Test Bluetooth. If it is capacitive or resistive. Test sensitivity and look for dropouts on screen. If there is B/G/N WLAN NIC; test B, G and N. Test the apps in the same way. Just because it says it has it does not mean they work or work correctly.

4. At least once during the first use period, let the battery run almost all the way down doing Normal things. Time how long that lasts. Do the same in Standby, Do the same after setting the tablet to not go to sleep. Time each and compare

5. Finally, complete the research on what can and cannot be done with your tablet. Google, Search this forum. Read other forums. Verify you want to update the firmware, what apps you can or want to load.

If you do this, it can be painful and take time. But you just spent some good money on a device which weighs a 1lb (.45Kg) You will know what it can and cannot do plus know whether you need to return it.

BTW: You want to know whether I do this on all devices like tablets? The answer is yes and no. I did this for a living at one point and know when to short cut as I can predict the answers.

MSJNT

Dec 22, 2010
This is awesome advice... I don't know if I have a lemon, a keeper, or a return. It is different everyday. I am thinking about taking it to a computer store to see what they can do with it. I am not all that tech savvy, but I do know when I need the tech savvy.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
... Sure, it was for your wife, kids, husband... But, we know the truth.... .

LOL this is probably the truest thing around - i don't know how many threads I've read about buying an android tablet for thier 9 year old...

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
oh and one more thing - if you bought it from one of the many China-based drop shippers, chances are what you have is a keeper, whether you like it or not

Jan 18, 2011
Great points for new tablet purchasers like me.I will make sure I do the routine check-up.This will surely help other users.

KSR

Dec 30, 2010
Thanks for this post! I'm definitely gonna try these rules from now on with all new devices I buy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.