Friendly noob in need of help

DaFees

Nov 7, 2010
Hello everyone,

I came here today in search of help. My dad has recently decided that he absolutely wants a tablet, no questions asked (So he can watch movies and TV shows on the go, as well as the standard listening of music and viewing of pictures). However for me to recommend a tablet is so much harder than recommending a good computer. I understand computers, but tablets are another matter. Research on here proves that. I've already learned some stuff, but also garnered more questions.

Let say that I am mainly looking for a tablet that will play music, and pictures, but also video. It seems to me that music playback is fairly standard right? Most devices can handle .mp3, .wma, .flac, and .wav right?

Video is the sticky wicket though, I'm looking for a tablet that can handle 720p .mkv files (I have a fair number of TV shows in this format, kind of like those you would download on iTunes) at minimum but 1080p .mkv/.mp4/(possibly).m2ts(?) would be nice, if possible.

My dad has was looking at a number of 10.2" tablets and was near ready to pull the trigger on one before I stopped him and decided to come here.

I've learned the basics like the benefits of rooting, the upfront uncertainties of the various tablets out there (as in sorting through all the text to find out just what a tablet has and can do), and other things.

For me I'm just looking for a tablet that can handle what I said: music, pics, and video (@ minimum 720p .mkv). Oh and I assume an SD card slot is fairly standard, but a USB port or two (for thumb drives) would be nice. HDMI output would be preferred but not necessarily required. Built in speakers would be nice, but also not required (If not present, make sure that's known). Lastly the budget is $200 preferred, but the absolute max willing to spend is $250. Oh and brand really doesn't matter as long as the tablet can get the job done.

If a good 10" can't be purchased for that price that can do what I specified then I suppose a 7" would have to do. The only reasons a 10" is really preferred is because of the additional size (not a bother) and resolution (1024x600) (Does this new high res actually play nice with the Android OS, because I've seen some tables that don't even list this res?).

I mean I've done some searching but with mixed reviews on sites like Amazon.com and foreign sellers on sites like Ebay.com it's hard to tell if a gem really is a gem. That's why I am here seeking the advice of those in the know.

Thank you. :D

EDIT - One more thing on my mind. Black Friday: Should I wait for it? I know BF ads are slowly getting leaked, but do you think a good deal might crop up on BF. Also what's the word on this Google Tablet I've heard rumors about? Would it conform to my budget or be more along the lines of something the iPad or Samsung Galaxy Tab? Oh and in case this hasn't been mention, this tablet doesn't need to have nor do I want it to have or come with any kind of plans or services.

Last edited:

DaFees

Nov 7, 2010
Almost 3 days later, I apologize if I did something wrong, but could anybody offer any advice? :)

klown07

Aug 27, 2010
You did not do anything wrong, a few tablets to consider are the Augen gentouch, the archos 70 or the archos 101, samsung galaxy tab, ZT-180, Cruz tablet, Malata zpad. Google each of these to see if they fit your needs^^

Partenope

Nov 6, 2010
From my limited experience, you generally need a windows system to play wma, From "reports," I see that a whole bunch of tablets are about to hit the market -- likely by Christmas, and a couple (which may be vapor-ware) which seem to have more and better functionality that are due out by Feb. or so (which may be July, if the schedule is like the Cruz Tablet's, or, not at all if something better/cheaper hits the market much earlier).

The Wuzhenhua Player has been getting good reviews for playing wma files, but I can't get it to load on my Cruz Tablet.

DaFees

Nov 7, 2010
Well if I may comment on the .wma support. It really isn't necessary. I just figured it to be a standard thing that was supported. Also to klown07 I will check out the tablets you list, but I will pass on the galaxy tab. I know it's a great tablet but well outside my price range, and it requires a carrier for operation I believe.

Also is there a good starting point. I mean do I just punch those names into Google or is there some kind of comparison website or something?

klown07

Aug 27, 2010
Well, the Augen gentouch is cheap, can be found at sears/kmart. It can do most of what you want, im not sure about hdmi. There is a 10 inch tablet.....haipad I think? I'm sorry I lost track of all the tablets I read about on here. Its 10' I think and can do hdmi out. Alot of the china tablets are cheap. There is also the witstech A8E1 or something like that. And this newer tablet called IMX515. You can start with any one of these tablets in a search and then go from there. You can find lots of information right here in this forum. Also, at best buy there is a new tablet called the Huwai S7 or something and it has alot of the same features as the galaxy tab for ALOT cheaper. No carrier needed.

Last edited:

Partenope

Nov 6, 2010
I see on T-Mobile, that they sell the Samsung without G3 subscription for $200 more than the $399 subscription price. I have since found a $60 app that convert my wmas to 2GP -- That won't help for streaming.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I have had the Gentouch 78, the Cruz Reader and Tablet and am now on the Huawei S7. This one is by far and away the best of the lot so far, but at $299 it is about $50 more than your max price ($249). I can tell you however that the difference in what you get for the additional $100 is amazing and well worth it! Also, the other devices all seem to be pretty much terminal in terms of upgradability due to hardware limitations, so what you get is it. The Huawei also looks like it will be upgradable.

Finally, if your Dad is anything like mine was, the interface on the Huawei has been "tweaked" similar to what HTC does with Sense to make things easier for newbies to use. I actually kind of like it, although I have replaced it with Launcher Pro. All of these with the exception of the Gentouch can be got at a Best Buy if they are in stock.

Hope this helps....