Gingerbread Android 2.3.6 Beta version for Le Pan 1 TC970 - out for testing

value99

Jul 26, 2012
vlue99 - no need to root the tablet before installing CM7.

It can be done from any stock firmware, with default user privileges. Just follow the detailed install guide in the other thread.

Seems you got stuck on a boot loop. Easiest way to fix it would be to do a factory firmware install - hold down 'volume down' button, press power on, have the stock firmware on the SD card and install it.

Will wipe out all of CM7; if you want to install it afterwards, follow the guide from scratch; do not forget to wipe user data, cache and dalvik cache as mentioned in the guide.

I held down volume Up button then pressed power on. I was able to go through the process following your guide. This time it worked perfectly. I didn't update to the latest firmware. My wifi is working fine with the stock firmware.
My le pan is rejuvenated now;). Gingerbread opened up many new features.. more than I need for now.
I can wait few more month until nexus 7 drop below $150.:)

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Ah, that's great, value99 - glad you got it installed and are enjoying a much better operating system now. Cheers! :)

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
[ Mirror copy of my post in the CM7 Tutorial Thread - Official Mirror Copy now Available... ]

Just completed the CM7 Beta 6.1 installation, and updating/restoring apps on my tablet.

Will wait until I have a copy of the CM7 Beta file directly from cas_xp, then I will mirror it and provide step by step instructions. (I used a copy posted to dropbox by another user, but would prefer to get it direct from cas_xp, if I am going to share it, etc) (EDIT : GOT it, see mirror link at the end of this post for Download,,,)

Some quick notes :

- you WILL need a good backup of your apps and user data; get Titanium Backup running, and make a full backup of apps+data before you start.

- the package as released is a 7Zip archive, containing 3 zip files you need. They MUST be extracted first, the .zip files should NOT be uncompressed - just open the 7Zip container, then extract all 3 .zips, and copy them to the SD card.

- cas_xp has instructions for the install :

[Update] Aug 20. 2012
This version change is big and it is not compatible with the previous Nandroid backup.
1) ODEXed. To save some space and performance improved.
2) Enable NAND userdata partition to save 220MB from MMC( data partition)
3) Haptic fixed for visual key.
4) Native build image from CM, so there is no customized install message shows up and no Google APP and framework included, you need to install Googleapp separately.
Install method:
BACKUP first!
1) In recovery, do factory reset
2) Install cm-7-xxxx-griffin.zip
3) Install update_griffin-core-sign.zip
4) Install gapps-gb-xxxx-signed.zip
5) Reboot.

...one of them being '"In recovery, do factory reset""". I did that from ClockWorkMod, the first of the 3 Cache Deletes as explained in the original post. DO all 3 cache deletes, as usually recommended.

- install these packages in the same order as cas listed. Reboot.

- you will be greeted by the Android setup screens; enter your account name and password, then wait until it realizes you don't have 3G Data access. It will eventually offer you to enable wifi, and once that's done, you can proceed to using the tablet.

- for me, Google Play did not restore the apps I had, so this is where your Titanium Backup is a life saver. Install TiBa from Play, and then you can do a selective restore, only the MISSING apps. Don't restore system apps, like the Android components, as we just installed a newer compile; restore only user apps and their data.

Other than that, all things should work smoothly, IF you followed the instructions and used the right steps.

Good luck! :)

** EDIT : Just finished uploading my copy - Mirror copy of CM7 Beta 6.1 file HERE. (file renamed slightly for clarity - named LePan-TC970-CM7-Beta6.1.7z)

Last edited:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Got an Official copy of the CM7 Beta 6.1 files from cas_xp directly, and I just uploaded it to my own Mirror, as hte filwswap.com host he's using is not very reliable imo.

Here's the text of my post at XDA Devs regarding this - including the DL mirror link at the end:

----------------------------------------------------------------

cas_xp said:
Download link updated at #1 and here
Beta6.1

I don't know what happened, somebody deleted that file and I lost every trace information like download times.

Thanks, cas_xp - I think their server that was hosting the file (something like DL8.fileswap.com) died - i could try to open servers 1, 2, 3, but of course none of them had the file requested. So, if it crashed, it lost all the stats as well. VERY precarious host. :(

Will send it to Files.Inbox.lv once my download completes, and post a Mirror link for it as well.

Cheers! :)

EDIT : Just finished uploading my copy - Mirror copy of CM7 Beta 6.1 file HERE. (file renamed slightly for clarity - named LePan-TC970-CM7-Beta6.1.7z)

nomade

Feb 22, 2012
Got an Official copy of the CM7 Beta 6.1 files from cas_xp directly, and I just uploaded it to my own Mirror, as hte filwswap.com host he's using is not very reliable imo.

Thanks a lot yann2, really appreciate, this link works great and downloading now.

:)

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
You are welcome, glad we got an official file and can share it now. :)

Cheers, hope all goes well.

value99

Jul 26, 2012
Hi Yann2,

I'm still on CM7 Beta 5.1, so far it is working well except two issues: 1. once in awhile it locks up and I have to hard reset to turn it back on. 2. When I play music or using skype, there is a hissing noise in the back ground.
My question is would updating the Le Pan firmware 4626 then update to BETA 6.1 resolve the above issues?

Thanks in advance

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
value99, it should have no effect. The factory firmware and operating system would get wiped out as soon as you re-installed CM7.

The CM7 package contains the firmware files, and the operating system and its apps.

You could do a full NANDroid backup, and then install the Beta 6.1; in case you were not happy, roll back by restoring your backup, and all will be exactly as it was.

shezam

Sep 23, 2012
Followed all the steps and CM7 update went flawless... Very excited!

What's the latest with oovoo...I installed the app and the camera doesn't seem too work? Haven't tried Skype yet...

Thanks for all the links and instructions -

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
shezam, you are welcome, glad things worked out.

Wanna show some appreciation? you can press the
thankthumb.png
button that is shown at the bottom of any post. :)

value99

Jul 26, 2012
Just updated to Beta V 6.1 and all the issues seem resolved - the installation is smooth and fast. I still have CWM on the SD card. I didn't even bother to backup.
Pretty all the minor issues from 5.1 are resolved, Most importantly the hissing sound when play music is gone. For a music player and book reader and internet browser, it is still very good more than year later.
I found the battery life is excellent and beats the Asus 101.;)
Great Job Yann2 thanks for all the help.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks for the feedback, that's what I think too - CM7 makes the LP1 the best it can be. I see mine exactly as you describe, an ebook reader first of all, then some other uses, although I prefer the power of a full laptop or desktop for even serious web reading, etc.

Glad it worked well for you. :)

Recently, Amazon.com has the LP1 for as low as $129, I was going to write a Blog post for another site about it. Combine that low purchase price with the full features, smoothness, pretty and usable interface of CM7 Gingerbread and you have a winner. A very usable device for a low cost. Unfortunately, project died when Amazon raised the price back; not very attractive at near $200, when you can get a Nexus 7 tablet, much better specs for that price.

richkidakaleo

Mar 21, 2012
yann2 i got a question. i install cyanogen 5.1 on my tab without rootin it. it installed with no problem.have root access but i notice it freezing ramdomly.when i have my music playin or a game.and i notice it doesnt come on when chargin and the light is off.i have to press the reset botton all the time.is that cause of no rootin before installin or just an app or the tab

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Hi, Rick,

CM7 installation will overwrite completely the factory firmware that was there, so not having root previously has no effect on it.

What does have an effect and is important is clearing up the old data as described in the Installation tutorial - basically the 3 Deletes. User Data, the Data cache and the Dalvik Cache.

If you missed any of those, there would be leftover data from the previous operating system which could cause problems with the new one. So, that's why we should back things up with Titanium Backup, if you want to easily restore your apps and user data.

Would suggest you should consider updating to the newest version, which is CM7 Beta 6.1.

The installation of that version is a bit more complicated than the other versions in the original post, so I detailed it separately on THIS POST.

This might solve some of your problems, the newest Beta has been rebuilt and contains more optimized versions of a lot of system files.

Good luck! :)

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Files Downloads Stats?

From my mirror of the Le Pan 1 specific files, here's a snapshot of where we stand today.

mirrordownloadkb.png

Highlighted in RED, the CM7 Beta 5 file is now over 1,045 copies (and counting). This is in addition to the downloads from cas_xp's own file server, the official distribution host.

Also worthy of note :

- ClockWorkMod for TC970, top downloaded file at 1,407 copies.

- Le Pan's own, improved-but-never-released firmware version 4749? Always a popular one, 342 downloads at the moment.

Thought numbers-minded people might enjoy seeing these. ;)