Google Sync after rooting

curttp

Dec 24, 2010
I rooted this morning, have the 1.0.1 upgrade. rooting went OK, everything seems to be working, but the NC doesn't seem to sync with my google contacts or calendar. I have gone into settings/social and have linked with my google account.

I can read a hotmail account, and get notifications from it when new emails are received.

I have gone over the rooting instructions at nookdevs.com several times. Did I miss something. Is there anyway to force an immediate sync, or does it just have periodically, and is that adjustable

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Rooting should not impact sync at all. Go to Settings->Accounts & Sync and see if the Google Sync is on. Also, you should be able to trigger an immediate sync there as well.

Good luck!
p

curttp

Dec 24, 2010
In settings I have gone into Social and have linked it to my google account. I don't see anything that says Accounts & Sync

thel8elvis

Dec 29, 2010
In settings I have gone into Social and have linked it to my google account. I don't see anything that says Accounts & Sync

And in the same vein ( only the opposite) ;-) ... I would like to disable automatic syncing and only sync when I choose. How does one access Accounts -> sync ? Since I am fairly new to android and completely new to my NC, I don't feel comfortable randomly stopping any of the running google services, as I imagine that may impact other things...

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I am bit thrown by pbrauer's suggestion. AFAIK the option to control syncing is not on the NC...but it is standard on most Android devices (those with vanilla UIs anyway).

The only thing I've been able to do so far re: accounts is to go into Gmail, navigate to the accounts setting, and add new ones. If I add an account that is already on the NC, I get the option to turn on or off various connections (e.g., last night I turned on sync from Picasa to the Android gallery). But it's not like my Droid, where I can go anytime to Settings->Account and Sync, pick an account, and modify the sync settings.

I wouldn't worry though. Things are improving steadily, and we'll probably have both a modded (currently underway) and B&N (promised soon?) version of Froyo (2.2) sometime in the near future.

-Matt

curttp

Dec 24, 2010
In any Google App (gmail. calendar, YouTube) on a rooted NC, just to the right of the "Arrow" Key at the bottom is a menu icon. If you tap this meny key it brings you to where you can access the Account & Sync options

thel8elvis

Dec 29, 2010
In any Google App (gmail. calendar, YouTube) on a rooted NC, just to the right of the "Arrow" Key at the bottom is a menu icon. If you tap this meny key it brings you to where you can access the Account & Sync options

The menu does not allow me to select not to sync. It only allows me to select which 'labels' and how many days to sync.

I won't get too wrapped up in this, as I am hopeful 2.2 will be out soon and will change things like this anyway .... but I don't have any need for google to be signed in all the time on this device, so the fewer unnecessary background processes the better, I guess.

curttp

Dec 24, 2010
I am using the instructions at NookDev.com, for the 1.0.1 upgrade. When I did it the first time it seemed to work fine. I was able to sync with google email, download from Market, but the Google Contacts and Calendar would not sync with the NC Contacts and Calendar App.

So I have tried rerunning the rotting process. But now the Robot does not show up when it reboots. So I can't total follow the "Follow-up" instructions at NookDevs.com I have tried to sync with G-mail, and am able to do that, but no luck with Google Calendar or Contacts.

When I go into "menu" the Accounts I try to sync with Google and get a message that says something like "this may be a temporary Problem, but can not establish a stable connection with google Servers"

Any ideas on what I need to do. I have tried re-nooting several times, and have not been able to get everything working

@curttp
You already made a similar thread so I merged them together.

Last edited by a moderator:

thel8elvis

Dec 29, 2010
So I have tried rerunning the rotting process. But now the Robot does not show up when it reboots. So I can't total follow the "Follow-up" instructions at NookDevs.com I have tried to sync with G-mail, and am able to do that, but no luck with Google Calendar or Contacts.

When I go into "menu" the Accounts I try to sync with Google and get a message that says something like "this may be a temporary Problem, but can not establish a stable connection with google Servers"

This is a SWAG ... but if you install Titanium backup, you can try using it to clear the data from those apps - click backup/restore, then select the app and clear data.

This works for youtube being broken after rooting ... as I said, though, just a guess.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
curtp, sounds like you may be using another Android device as your guide here. The description is exactly how Android phones work. The NC is a work in progress, so many typical functions are not available. I assume what happens to me is the same for everyone else:

(1) Contacts does not sync.

(2) Calendar is hit-or-miss. Some users at xda have suggested that re-adding an account gets Calendar to sync. Not for me though. There is also no way (on my Droid or NC, anyway) to access accounts from Calendar.

(3) I'm using the Android gallery (cooliris) and after adding one of my Gmail accounts, my Picasa pictures show up.

(4) Gmail is a bit more complicated. It appears to be the primary (only?) way to add accounts after rooting with autonooter. There is no option to turn sync on or off...add account only.

In Gmail, there are two main things you can do once pressing the menu button:

(a) Settings. Looks like a stock NC setting screen. Only includes a few choices (e.g., signature, notification, etc.) By the way, you can also change your notification sound here. There is an option here to select which labels (folders) synchronize, but there is no option to turn sync on/off.

(b) Accounts. Here is where a new account can be added. The only button is "Add account" but there is a juicy, tempting-looking menu button. If you press the menu button, you get a new choice: Account settings! Looks good...but if you press it (at least when I do) the NC crashes and reboots. This is because afaik there is no "Accounts & sync settings" yet on the NC. :(

That is almost the end of the story. Yesterday, I came across a way to add, delete, and modify google accounts(i.e., turn sync on or off). Given how quickly things are improving, though, I would suggest not trying it, and leaving things be:

NookColor Remove Secondary Google Account - nookDevs
Having trouble adding a Google account? This worked for me. - Android Forums

-Matt