Greetings from NYC

The Jinx

Sep 10, 2010
Hi,

I am planning to join the tablet craze that is beginning to spread, but due to the number of Chinese knock offs and improper implementation of the android OS I am at a loss of what tablet i should choose. Furthermore, due to the different names that certain tablets go by, i don't even know a good merchant to purchase a tablet from. The only thing I plan to do with this tablet is:

Read e-books (mainly pdfs)
Listen to mp3s
Watch videos (flash through skyfire and off of SD card)
Check email
Light web browsing
*wouldn't hurt to be able to use skype/fring/or some other sort of message client

My main requirements above all is that the touch screen/OS be at least moderately responsive. I have seen videos of the Augen Gentouch 78 from K-mart and from what I saw the responsiveness of the touchscreen is abysmal. Seeing how my cap-ex budget is kinda low, the maximum I can spend shipped to 11239 is $150USD. I hope that members of this forum can help me pick out a good tablet as well as provide me to a good vendor/merchant.

Thank you,
Jinx

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
welcome and to get right to the point you wont be able to find a tablet that meets your requirements for 150 bucks mainly because you want to be able to watch flash videos and flash is only supported in android 2.2 which the tablets that run 2.2 are all over 200 dollars

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Welcome to the forum!

nyc_chinatown.jpg

Have you gone down to Chinatown in Manhattan to see if they're selling any of these Android OS Tablets. I was wondering?

Last edited:

The Jinx

Sep 10, 2010
@probbiethe1, im sorry I didn't clarify. when i meant flash vids I mean through skyfire

@tipstir, truth be told i wouldn't really know where to look for one. The only place I can somewhat think about is near Elizabeth street but the prices are usually inflated so buying it online might be cheaper

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Well I just wanted to know if it can be had there? I would take a drive into the City just to see what they had? Take too long to order from China direct. To make the trip not a waste I would then drive and pickup a 2x 16" Pizza Pie down in Little Italy. :)

The Jinx

Sep 10, 2010
Well tipstir next time i go out to Chinatown I will ask around/look around and let you know

iamdestruktor

Aug 31, 2010
Well I just wanted to know if it can be had there? I would take a drive into the City just to see what they had? Take too long to order from China direct. To make the trip not a waste I would then drive and pickup a 2x 16" Pizza Pie down in Little Italy. :)

But none of those places come with a warranty or customer support. Maybe the pizza will at least!