Has anyone been able to compile the kernel?

Ravak

Dec 5, 2012
Here's md5 sum of mine:
Code:
# ~/Android $ md5sum a2109n_gpl_kernel_570.tar.bz2
ffed345bd79e5e6cd67d5243f51a1728  a2109n_gpl_kernel_570.tar.bz2

Ravak

Dec 5, 2012
I'd say "fastboot boot <kernel>" but haven't done that. As said, I'm newbie ;)

Also remember what gmarkall said:
Additionally, you'll need to make a boot image by extracting one from a stock ROM with unpackbootimg, and then packing it with your compiled kernel with mkbooting.

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
I also thought that you could just use fastboot and the image...

Shockingly, nothing has broken. The date on the kernel didn't change tho. (?) Isn't that updated automatically? Can I use any of the fastboot options (-s, -p, -i) to ensure I'm writing the kernel? Or does the kernel date already prove that it didn't work?

Ravak

Dec 5, 2012
I don't think anything should broken - you are creating the same kernel as stock one. You could check if file sizes match...

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
I don't think anything should broken - you are creating the same kernel as stock one. You could check if file sizes match...

Oh, I changed at least a dozen parameters using menuconfig. I was really pushing it. I don't have either boot.img to check the file sizes, tho.

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
Its been a while since I compiled a kernel but did you change the kernel name in config file before you compiled it? There should/used to be a way to change it via .config or a make file, going from memory here but might give you something to check on. It is a linux kernel so you can check some kernel compile wiki from Fedora or such and see how the label gets changed.

Hold up, I just realized I have not compiled a kernel since 2.6 something and we are on 3.1 wow. Things might be totally different.

Last edited:

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
Its been a while since I compiled a kernel but did you change the kernel name in config file before you compiled it? There should/used to be a way to change it via .config or a make file, going from memory here but might give you something to check on. It is a linux kernel so you can check some kernel compile wiki from Fedora or such and see how the label gets changed.

I haven't found anything in the code to compare with what I can find on the tablet. I'm pretty sure the date shown in Settings->About tablet->Kernel version is the compile date, though. If that doesn't show the date I made the image, then I have to assume it's not getting written.

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
Did you use
Code:
fastboot boot kernel ramdisk
or
Code:
fastboot flash raw boot kernel ramdisk
? My understanding is the first one is temporary to try it out before flashing permanently.

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
Alternatively, before compiling, use the kernel config option
"LOCALVERSION" to append a unique suffix to the regular kernel version.
LOCALVERSION can be set in the "General Setup" menu.

This comes from the readme file in the a2109 kernel source. Try it out and see what happens.

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
Did you use
Code:
fastboot boot kernel ramdisk
or
Code:
fastboot flash raw boot kernel ramdisk
? My understanding is the first one is temporary to try it out before flashing permanently.

fastboot boot zImage

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
You could package it up in boot.img file and flash it via cwm. This way leaves you the ability to grab a log if the kernel gets far enough in the boot process.

This gets everything from power on until kernel hands over the machine to unit.
Code:
adb shell dmesg

This logs everything after the init starts.
Code:
adb logcat

You can pipe those to text files with standard bash commands or read them off the terminal.
Maybe someone finds this useful.

Dont forget a nandroid backup before you flash.

Last edited:

AndreasWatch

Dec 11, 2012
Have you got the Kernel booting already?
I can build it, but it wont boot.

@FloRider:
I think you shoult build a boot.img and try to boot these.
  • extract the boot.img from your tablet (use dd)
  • extract the boot.img with abootimg
  • put your zImage to this directory
  • build a new boot.img with your Kernel inside
  • try to boot this with fastboot