I'm now stuck at the same point that you got to:

fastboot boot kernel/arch/arm/boot/zImage
creating boot image...
creating boot image - 2353152 bytes
downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY
booting... OKAY

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
found a number of other issues in the cypress code, which my partner and I have fixed. I will upload these changes soon. So the Kernel compiles properly, I now need to create a boot image for the device.

~Ivy

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
I have a git set up, the link is a few posts back.

Sent from my Ideos S7

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
found a number of other issues in the cypress code, which my partner and I have fixed. I will upload these changes soon. So the Kernel compiles properly, I now need to create a boot image for the device.

~Ivy

Did you get a kernel to boot?

Sent from my Ideos S7

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
It's Huawei code. the part that fails to compile.

SikYou, which eabi did you use to compile? 4.2.1, 4.3.1, or 4.4.0?

I'm trying with 4.2.1, and lets see if it will compile =)

watching the make output now =)

~Ivy

I tried them all, including 4.4.3 which is the newest set of build tools.

Sent from my nonsensikal froyo

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
well without a ramdisk (boot.img) it won't do much, so I'm just getting some things for me to create the ramdisk.

~Ivy

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
well without a ramdisk (boot.img) it won't do much, so I'm just getting some things for me to create the ramdisk.

~Ivy

If you have a working zImage you should be able to boot it via fastboot without actually flashing it so you wouldn't need the full boot.img.

I'm going to get an irc channel setup in the next couple of days so that we have a better way of getting this together.

Sent from my Ideos S7

razor950

Nov 25, 2010
#androidtablets on freenode is where I idle from time to time, I already asked a freenode staff to grant me ownership

I'll gladly help you both out with everything, I'll get my device vendor setup so you can test out my boot.img :)

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Hi Razor950,

you asked about my mounts:

# cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock1 /system yaffs2 ro 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock6 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock5 /cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,flush 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:2 /system/sd ext2 rw,errors=continue 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/app ext2 rw,errors=continue 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/data ext2 rw,errors=continue 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/dalvik-cache ext2 rw,errors=continue 0 0

~Ivy

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Some instructions to help with the kernel stuff.

firstly before building the kernel get the kernel config from /proc called config.gz

I do this via the adb shell making a copy on my sdcard, and then pulling that via adb to my linux box. Next gunzip the config.gz, and copy config to .config in your kernel compilation directory.

Now run the command:

make oldconfig, you may be asked a few questions for things that aren't configured (like cdma for example) I've said no for these.

then make the thing =)

again, this is not for the weak of heart, not for people who haven't configured kernels before.

~Ivy

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Now just to remove any other possibilities, I've gone back to the bestbuy build. (and none of my apps to sd scripts.)

When I try and use fastboot with the following:

fastboot boot /home/ivy/kernel/arch/arm/boot/zImage
creating boot image...
creating boot image - 2355200 bytes
booting... OKAY

The screen stays dark for about 30 seconds, then flashes the Huawei S7 Logo, and shuts down.

I just wish I had some way to monitor what was going on during this period, and I'd be all good.

But alas I'm flying blind here.

~Ivy

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
Now just to remove any other possibilities, I've gone back to the bestbuy build. (and none of my apps to sd scripts.)

When I try and use fastboot with the following:

fastboot boot /home/ivy/kernel/arch/arm/boot/zImage
creating boot image...
creating boot image - 2355200 bytes
booting... OKAY

The screen stays dark for about 30 seconds, then flashes the Huawei S7 Logo, and shuts down.

I just wish I had some way to monitor what was going on during this period, and I'd be all good.

But alas I'm flying blind here.

~Ivy

So if it reboots doesn't that mean that you have the kernel booted?

Sent from my nonsensikal froyo

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
That I don't know. Maybe I don't understand fastboot well enough. I just did a uname and alas it's still running the previous kernel.

At least the kernel compiles =) as I've been able to fix the input driver issues. (There were some issues with the Huawei code)

~Ivy

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
Fastboot will essentially just boot the zImage "temporarily" , once you reboot you will boot your default kernel.

The easiest way to see if you boot the newly compiled kernel is to change the kernel version when you compile. You can then look in the phone settings and see if your kernel version has changed.

Also, when you compile try make menuconfig instead of make oldconfig, you'll get a nice GUI.

Sent from my Ideos S7