[How To] Access Nook Color SD Card over WiFi !

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
This is a n00b guide to access your NOOKColor (NC) over Wifi. By this guide you will be able to make file transfers to SD card of your NC from your computer over WiFi ! No need of darn USB cable ;)

Just follow these simple steps :

1. Go to Market or Appbrain and download and install Samba File Sharing apk. [Hit a search for Samba, first result should be our apk]

or use this QR code :

2. For the first time when you run Samba, make sure you give Super User access to it. Change the "username" and "password" from the settings in Samba.

3. It will disabled by default. Go to menu and hit “Enable”
A pop up will appear “Enabled File Sharing”

This should look as follows :

1102155.png

4. Now in your PC, open My Computer, in address bar type the IP address which is shown in Samba.

In this guide, it is : \\192.168.2.212

Alternatively you can also enter \\ANDROID
voila ! Now you can access SD Card of your NC !

5. You can also do same by

Start ORB > In the field where appears “Search programs and files”, enter either IP address or \\ANDROID

6. Now if you’re lazy like me, you’d like to have a shortcut over Desktop. Do this, on Desktop, right click on any empty space, hit New > Short cut. Now in the next field enter \\ANDROID . Enter whatever name you like to give your shortcut. Hit enter. Now shortcut is ready on your desktop. Now whenever you want to make file transfers, Enable samba and open this shortcut. Yeah, USB was the last decade file transfer technology

7. Want custom made shortcut icon ?
Get it from here - Nook Color Icon File
Right click on your Shortcut to change the icon.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome :)

[my blog post link ]

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Nifty idea, but doesn't want to work on my Win7.64bit OS.

I was able to get samba on my NC running after configuring a password/username for the device, and it give's me a "can't be found error"

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Even I have Windows 7 64 bit. And I am not getting what would be "Can't be found error"

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Edit - nevermind...

I had my NC connecting via my "guest" router that isn't secured, thus not on the same subnet.

I got my NC on the internal router and viola! Thanks, this is pretty nifty - and easier than my ftp solution and much more secure than the dropbox avenue.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I am glad it worked !! Really :D

A couple of suggestions for your OP, do we need the scan code? None of our NC's have a camera to use it. [Nevermind, the QR code is also a link to the online market... ignore this part] Also, maybe a bit more information about first time setup, cause you didn't mention configuring the username/password/workgroup stuff and that had to be done for me to connect. I know enough about networking to figure it out, others might not.

Otherwise, awesome app and contribution.

Last edited:

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Thank you !

editing Workgroup isn't necessary at all. But I have added about login name and password.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Works great. I was getting tired of hooking up the USB cable!

EDIT: Can't change icon... I get "The name '\\ANDROID' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file are correct"

Target is correct...

EDIT2: ya it was plugged in so the program wasn't running while the NC was in USB mode... note to self...

Last edited:

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Thank you !

To change icon:

Right click on the shortcut > Properties > Change Icon > A new pop will appear, click Browse > Select the icon downloaded.

Hope this helps :)

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
I hope it is working now :)

@rico - I believe this thread is worth making sticky ;)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
There is another app that may work for some people having problems (it works very similar)

Remote Web Desktop

Seemed very simple to me.

frodo

Feb 5, 2011
Thanks AVI - works a treat.
Only just got nook - rooted and now catching all the great tips on this site to make the it fun and easy to use.
cheers,

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Worked great! Thank u much.
Glad it worked :)

There is another app that may work for some people having problems (it works very similar)

Remote Web Desktop

Seemed very simple to me.
Will give a try.

Thanks AVI - works a treat.
Only just got nook - rooted and now catching all the great tips on this site to make the it fun and easy to use.
cheers,
Welcome ! Have look at these threads :
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ks-frequently-asked-questions-read-first.html
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-color-awesome-rooting-ocing-custom-roms.html

and welcome to forums :)