[How To] Access Nook Color SD Card over WiFi !

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Then it must be different for me. I ejected my SD card and it was empty. All the things I put on are on my device. Its the same way for my NC and my gtab.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Access your internal and SD card via Samba. Sorry for crappy video but idk how to take SS on my gtab.

Last edited by a moderator:

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
I saw the video, you are accessing root from file explorer.

But I am not clearly getting what your problem is :(

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Ok let me try to say it instead of show it...

By default, when you open Samba, you see your internal 'sdcard' directory on your internal storage. Thats why the username is 'sdcard' when setting up Samba.
By hitting the " / " you go to the root directory of you tablet. You will see a 'sdcard' and 'sdcard2' directory.
'sdcard' is your internal storage when most of your apps data is stored.
'sdcard2' is the MicroSD card that you inserted into the device.

If you don't believe me copy something to your nook using samba and look at the 'sdcard' directory. You will see your file. Now take your MicroSD card out and put it in your PC, put a random folder on it. Put it back in your nook and go to the 'sdcard2' directory and you will see that file.

Are we clear now?

Last edited:

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Okay, it's actually " / " for root directory.

Nope. It's the SD Card which has put in micro sd slot

You will see a 'sdcard' and 'sdcard2' directory
there is no directory as such sdcard2 in my NC

If you don't believe me copy something to your nook using samba and look at the 'sdcard' directory. You will see your file.
Expected. It should appear.

Now take your MicroSD card out and put it in your PC, put a random folder on it. Put it back in your nook and go to the 'sdcard2' directory and you will see that file.
Nope. IMO its not normal. It should be seen under SDCARD directory only.

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Ok let me try to say it instead of show it...

By default, when you open Samba, you see your internal 'sdcard' directory on your internal storage. Thats why the username is 'sdcard' when setting up Samba.
By hitting the " \ " you go to the root directory of you tablet. You will see a 'sdcard' and 'sdcard2' directory.
'sdcard2' is the MicroSD card that you inserted into the device.

If you don't believe me copy something to your nook using samba and look at the 'sdcard' directory. You will see your file. Now take your MicroSD card out and put it in your PC, put a random folder on it. Put it back in your nook and go to the 'sdcard2' directory and you will see that file.

Are we clear now?

Not clear.

I start samba on my NC and enable it
On my pc, I open windows explorer and type in \\android
It shows a folder called sdcard, I click that
Its my SDcard...not the internal storage.

In Samba I am not seeing a way to change drives or select a \
and there is nothing like that on my pc either

In your video, you aren't even using Samba, you clicked on ES File Explorer so I am not understanding you.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
@darmeen - he is confused with file structures. He thought SDCARD is the directory of internal memory, but it is not. So whenever he copied a file, it obviously appeared under SDCARD directory. But as he is confused, he is thinking he can access internal storage. This is what I understood till now.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
The problem is that Samba acts differently per device and I did not see that before. Also ES File Explorer does as well.

Samba on nook puts it on the sdcard.
Samba for other devices puts it on internal sdcard storage.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
The problem is that Samba acts differently per device and I did not see that before. Also ES File Explorer does as well.

Samba on nook puts it on the sdcard.
Samba for other devices puts it on internal sdcard storage.

I think part of it is word usage too...while all the memory on portable devices (bot internal storage and insert-able memory) are flash memory, they are not both sdcards. The internal storage on portable devices is typically referred to as Flash Memory or eMMC (Embedded MultiMediaCard), whereas removable storage is referred to as a SD card (in general terms, as there are several varieties, SDSC, SDHC, SDXC).

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I say 'Internal sdcard' because ES File Explorer just calls it 'sdcard' and 'sdcard2'

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
I have not seen such folder SDCARD2 in my ES File Explorer. I am in CM7, so can't post the screenshot here.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I say 'Internal sdcard' because ES File Explorer just calls it 'sdcard' and 'sdcard2'

But it doesn't...when you press the / button in ES File Explorer, that folder is the root(your internal memory) of your device. That SDCard2 is just a folder within your internal memory...you could probably just delete it, as those folders within the sdcard2 folder as the same folders that are created when you put a blank sdcard into your device.

I am telling you that sdcard2 is NOT your internal memory.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Ugh... forget it. You don't understand what I mean. I need to get a SS program so I can better show you. But this is a nook thread so I'm done with gtab stuff.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Ugh... forget it. You don't understand what I mean. I need to get a SS program so I can better show you. But this is a nook thread so I'm done with gtab stuff.

No, I do understand you, but it is obvious you aren't listening to what I am saying, but you are right, let us limit our discussion to the NC.