(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

CamBreal

Apr 7, 2012
"Sorry, I'm not quite following 100% because you have a lot going on in your posts. I'll try and read more carefully but it appears you are getting it to boot into CM7 and then when you start trying to install apps it dies and you get stuck at a black screen. I am wondering if you have good downloads of both CM7 and Google Apps. Have you checked the MD5 Sum to make sure you have a good download of each? You may want to try deleting the files you do have and downloading from scratch. Also take a minute to check the files to make sure you are not getting corrupted downloads.

Once you get booted to CM7 you should be good to go. It is unusual to have problems once you get that far. Also just to make sure once booted into CM7 you are leaving the card in correct? If you take it out you will crash since the OS is actually running off that card.

JP"

Yeah, too much info; I meant to come back and slim it all down when I had nailed down my notes. Been busy getting my taxes done.

Yes leaving the card in. Also tried redownloading the files. Checked the downloads as well. I was also going to wait a week or so for new versions just to make sure.

basically what happens is it all works fine for a awhile, but when I reboot the 2nd or 3rd or 4th time (despite cyanogen coming up), the boot partition can't be found whether I try to go to Android or recovery. once in a great while I get get it back to boot into android (I'm developing attraction issues about robots on skate boards) all is happy but then on the next boot gone forever. this happens regardless of whose process I use (agnostic sdcard, dual boot, triple boot) or what SD card I use (16gb, and a couple of 2gb cards). The cards are all sandisk class 4 bought at various times over the last year or so

I was originally adding the apps in later and thought that was the problem, so I added them in at the same time following yet someone else's other process - worked for a longer time, but rebooted a couple of times and back to black. I eventually left the apps out completely (thinking it was them), and have the same problem with no apps at all. So it's at the earliest step after the boot that actually builds the andorid OS and the first time wizard.

Have tried all the sdformat, format in the nook and then burn, different burn progs and even a different PC processes; and it still works/fails the same way.

From what I had read it may be my micro SD adapter setup; I have the sd card the micro plugs into, and then a sansdisk sd card to usb.
Going to try today from a laptop that can use just the SD adapter to micro and see if that helps; that at least removes the SDCARD to USB.
NOW I wish I had bought some of those cheapy MicroUSB readers off a deal site, I've seen a couple of posts where the poster said using one of those worked when the better ones failed.
Haven't fond one at a dollar store or wallyfart, but after today I may try that.

YEARS ago I have a memory of some other system (sadly could have been really old DOS, it's that dim of a memory) where you would get intermittent boot problems because the boot partition wasn't actually marked primary and/or active. You could get boots, but the deal was THAT was the fluke, not when it failed. Failed was actually the way it should have worked because no primary and/or active had been correctly set.

This is exactly like that, but when I check with Easeus the first partition is active and I don't know how to check the android two.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hmm, sounds like you are on top of it. You only need to check the boot partition. That was a good thought but if it checks out then it should be ok. Are you sure the micro SD card is seating the in then Nook properly? I am wondering if maybe the slot if bad? Maybe just enough wiggle there to lose the card sometimes.

BTW usually the more details the better so in that respect you did a good job.

JP

lakreys

Apr 17, 2012
I have tried these instructions, or similar several times with 7.1. Setup runs then does completely shut my nc down. When i restart it, it boots to the nook boot. I did the same process with 7.0.3 and it works, but I get tons of forced closes and have to reboot to recover. I was hoping 7.1 would work better, but I can't get it to start.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Make sure you have a good download of 7.1. Check your MD5 Sum.

shortbusser

Apr 21, 2012
installed last night but gapps didnt install, i tried to re-install in clockwork but all i get is the hat and nothing else....please help ...also while in crm nothing happens when I select anything just the hat. and while in rom manager it says i need to mount my sd card

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Gaps should include the Google Market which is now called Play store. Look for a Play Store app with a buleish triangle on a white square icon.

kavindia

Apr 23, 2012
I recently recieved (last week) my Nook Color 8 G shipped with stock 1.4.1.

I tried various SD card CM 7 boot methods and roms including 7.0 stable 7.03 and 7.1 with standard SD card image on a 4 G sandisk microsd

It installls but next boot the screen for android appears, the vol and n button power button works but the touch interface does not ....

Sorry for the rant but I had spent 2 days 4 different cards and god knows how many downloads ..

I am a noob on Nook modding would appreciate if somebody could guide me to the

thread permitting soft modding (SD card) based android running on the new Nook Color 8 G Model

Thank you and again warm regards

Kav
Edit Post

Last edited:

kavindia

Apr 23, 2012
I recently recieved (last week) my Nook Color 8 G shipped with stock 1.4.1.

I tried various SD card CM 7 boot methods and roms including 7.0 stable 7.03 and 7.1 with standard SD card image on a 4 G sandisk microsd

It installls but next boot the screen for android appears, the vol and n button power button works but the touch interface does not ....

Sorry for the rant but I had spent 2 days 4 different cards and god knows how many downloads ..

I am a noob on Nook modding would appreciate if somebody could guide me to the

thread permitting soft modding (SD card) based android running on the new Nook Color 8 G Model

Thank you and again warm regards

Kav
Edit Post
Post install at best I have reached this stage
11. You will see blue text Android followed by CM7boot screen followed by a choice of com.android.provision.DefaultActivity or Setup Wizard
but at this point the touch interface does not work for selecting one of the choices
and the volume buttone does not let me permit selection of Setup Wizard

What am I doing wrong ?

kavindia

Apr 23, 2012
I seem to have moved a step forward with the post on the previous page

I installed only the cm 7 files with the sd image

installed it

entered recovery

shutdown

took out the card

copied gapps

rebooted

and WOW !! it seems to work

will check and post ...

Thank you .....

Post install at best I have reached this stage
11. You will see blue text Android followed by CM7boot screen followed by a choice of com.android.provision.DefaultActivity or Setup Wizard
but at this point the touch interface does not work for selecting one of the choices
and the volume buttone does not let me permit selection of Setup Wizard

What am I doing wrong ?

kerriblue

Apr 27, 2012
I seem to have moved a step forward with the post on the previous page

I installed only the cm 7 files with the sd image

installed it

entered recovery

shutdown

took out the card

copied gapps

rebooted

and WOW !! it seems to work

will check and post ...

Thank you .....

I've been struggling to get my refurbished Nook Color to "cooperate" too. I had the same touch interface problem you outlined. I now FINALLY after two days (complete beginner) have everything working. I used a slight variation on the above with my 1.4.3 Nook.

Installed CM7 files with the SD image using Win32diskimager (I finally found a version that contained the necessary exe file!) on computer
Installed SD card in Nook and powered up.
Nook powered down by itself.
Entered "recovery" using the steps provided by JP in the earlier post (page 39 I think)
I powered down Nook.
Removed SD card
Dragged gapps zip file to SD card on computer
SD card back into Nook.
Powered up Nook - all OK BUT the set up Wizard didn't appear and no Google Play in the Apps.
Entered "recovery" again as per JP's instructions (same as I did earlier)
I powered down Nook.
Powered up the Nook again and this time Setup Wizard appeared (thankfully).

My Nook is now functioning fine - very grateful to all the earlier posters as I'm a complete novice and couldn't have done it alone!!!!

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
Hi J515OP,

Just had a weird thing happen to my nook color. I booted up and it kepps rebooting. Used my good backup micro card and it booted but won't go past setting headphone and dsp. very strange.

Jimmy

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
It is possible the Market place update may have contributed but I am not sure. Anyway an encore update cured it if anyone experienceas the same.
Jimmy