Howdy, y'all!

daddywalter

Nov 23, 2010
I'm a newbie here, and <whisper> don't own an Android tablet yet. In fact, I found this forum because I wanted to learn more about the current state of the art and voice my own wishes for future development.

About me: I'm a 61-year-old retired radio broadcaster who has been interested in technology as long as I can remember, and in computers since my early twenties; that was several years before the first commercially available personal computers, but I knew it was just a matter of time before they reached the marketplace.

While I think Windows has its place and use it myself on occasion, at present I'm running Linux (OpenSuse 11.3) on my desktop machine, and look forward to trying Chrome OS when it is officially released. I'm really not crazy about smartphones, at least not until someone comes out with a rugged, weatherproof version. What I do want is an affordable, upgradeable tablet with a book-page-sized screen and as much computing power as a decent netbook (or better).

I am both optimistic and patient, at least to a point. I can wait a little longer while the tablet industry matures a little. But I can feel it in my bones, the day is approaching when I will take the plunge -- and unless the competition does something really surprising, I have no doubt that the tablet I buy will be running Android.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Welcome to the forum. You mentioned you wanted something rugged in a smart phone have you looked at the motorola defy
if you havent you might want to give it a check and that might be a great android device to start with as you wait for better tablets

Last edited by a moderator: