Huawei S7 discussion archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitN

Dec 1, 2010
It does not sound like the Archos 101 Froyo 2.2 upgrade is going all that well, so don't be too jealous.

Really? I'm seeing new video after video of the Archos 101 (and 70) with the new 2.2 Froyo updated recently installed. :O

These are just 3 examples. There's a bunch more videos. Looks like 2.2 on Archos tablets are running okay so far.

(Note: If you have any solid info otherwise please post the links. I'm really interested on how 2.2 upgrading is going on similar devices.)

Last edited by a moderator:

swuebbels

Nov 18, 2010
Really? I'm seeing new video after video of the Archos 101 (and 70) with the new 2.2 Froyo updated recently installed. :O

These are just 3 examples. There's a bunch more videos. Looks like 2.2 on Archos tablets are running okay so far.

(Note: If you have any solid info otherwise please post the links. I'm really interested on how 2.2 upgrading is going on similar devices.)

Kitn,
I also have an Archos 101, 16GB that I plan to sell on eBay later today and will make the S7 my tablet of choice, at least for the time being. There is a very active forum at:
Forum.ArchosFans.com - Index page
Read their issues and decide for yourself. If you decide on the Archos, I'll make you a deal!
Regards,
Stan

Last edited by a moderator:

KitN

Dec 1, 2010
Kitn,
I also have an Archos 101, 16GB that I plan to sell on eBay later today and will make the S7 my tablet of choice, at least for the time being. There is a very active forum at:
Forum.ArchosFans.com - Index page
Read their issues and decide for yourself. If you decide on the Archos, I'll make you a deal!
Regards,
Stan

Hi Stan, Thanks for the link. I'm checking it out now.

As for your Archos 101, why exactly are you selling it and instead buying a Huawei S7? Do tell. I'd love to read your thoughts on this. :)

You can read about the current status here. Forum.ArchosFans.com - View topic - Froyo firmware 2.0.54 released, report bugs here
I'm sure that they intend to fix these issues. The WPA2 issue would be the biggest one for me since a lot of hotspots use it.

Hi brachiopod,
Thank you too for the link. Yes, an issue connecting to WPA2 networks is indeed a problem as you stated. My own network uses WPA2 and so do a lot of the hotspots I connect to while out. I'll read the link you posted.

Thank you again. :)

EddieS7

Dec 3, 2010
This is the version of firmware that is already on my S7. Does this mean that Huawei is washing their hands of this device by releasing the firmware source. Not sure this bodes well for this tablet?:confused:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
This is the version of firmware that is already on my S7. Does this mean that Huawei is washing their hands of this device by releasing the firmware source. Not sure this bodes well for this tablet?:confused:

Eddie - I would take this as a very positive sign, not a negative one. It is pretty standard for the dev community to ask for firmware, and NOT to get it. When we are able to, at least in the Android world, my experience has been that this almost immediately results in the user community breaking it down to see what is different, and building it back up to cook new ROMs. The manufacturer then can see what things are well received, what aren't and what to add to the "official" ROM.

Also, even if it were to mean that Huawei was not going to continue support, by having the full kernel, we can much more readily create our own ROMs without a need for the vendor support.

So, long answer short answer, it's all good! At least in my opinion...

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
Here's my question.

by them releasing the ROM, and then the world having access to Android SDK/NDK, doesn't that mean that unofficial continuations can occur? Like the community can take it to 2.3 and beyond if necessary?

EddieS7

Dec 3, 2010
Eddie - I would take this as a very positive sign, not a negative one. It is pretty standard for the dev community to ask for firmware, and NOT to get it. When we are able to, at least in the Android world, my experience has been that this almost immediately results in the user community breaking it down to see what is different, and building it back up to cook new ROMs. The manufacturer then can see what things are well received, what aren't and what to add to the "official" ROM.

Also, even if it were to mean that Huawei was not going to continue support, by having the full kernel, we can much more readily create our own ROMs without a need for the vendor support.

So, long answer short answer, it's all good! At least in my opinion...

I hope you are right. There was rumor of 2.2 next year.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Here's my question.

by them releasing the ROM, and then the world having access to Android SDK/NDK, doesn't that mean that unofficial continuations can occur? Like the community can take it to 2.3 and beyond if necessary?

Right, this is exactly what can happen.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

razor950

Nov 25, 2010
I will use this as a progress thread with no spam below :p

Currently, kernel source was out early today and I picked up a tablet today.
I got it running and it boots fine but found out sdcard's do not mount now (android picks up the internal but doesn't mount on usb)

Current To-Do List:
Port Huawei S7 Kernel to latest version. (I am not sure if I have setup the 2.2 built correctly but so far I
can't get it to boot, afaik, .29 kernels usually do not boot froyo. Regardless newer kernel gives the devices more optimization and features.)

EDITED: Alright, I was able to find out that the device has fastboot and this is extremely useful when testing out boot.img (mostly when testing out kernels :) )
Below is the two ways to access this mode:

ADB:
use adb shell and then su and then reboot bootloader or in terminal just use su and then reboot bootloader.

Hardware Wise:
Hold both volume up+down and then press power and it'll load up saying huawei but then hit the bootloader.

NOTE: Bootloader is black no text, its just a black on screen. Using fastboot binary you can then flash any part of the system or run boot.img's without flashing.

Huawei S7 Vendor: https://github.com/razor950/android_vendor_huawei_s7

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.