Huawei S7 discussion archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

smohan

Dec 7, 2010
Hi,
Was just looking up IDEOS S7 - Huawei Device Co., Ltd.. and realized huawei has posted a new kernel for the ideos s7 tablet (kernel-2.6.29-s7) today. Wondering if anyone already got a chance to play around with this, if so experiences. Is this the much-wanted anrdoid 2.2 update? I dont have my tablet around at the moment and eager to find out what this update means to s7 users... :)

Srinivas.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
We already have a whole thread and discussion on this. I am going to close this thread.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I called Huawei North American technical support about this. The customer support representative said that they actually have not gotten any confirmation from Huawei engineers about an official release date for it, but at some point it was planned. From this communication, he emphasized there has been no commitment from Huawei for an Android 2.2 release for the S7. However, his communication with engineers indicated that an update was planned at some point.

What this means for us is that the community might have to do something to make Huawei aware of this if they want to see Android 2.2 and beyond on the S7.

Huawei Customer Support Line: 18774482934
More Huawei contact information: Huawei - Contact us

I am no longer certain about an Android upgrade. I may have been over enthusiastic. But since we do have one confirmation from Huawei Norway on Facebook, I think it makes sense to verify this and establish some sort of conclusion.

In terms of what is possible from a community development standpoint, I think Froyo is may be feasible given what I've seen thus far in the Android community, especially on the Qualcomm Snapdragon platform. But it would be fair to us all if Huawei would commit to an official update.

razor950

Nov 25, 2010
given that kernel sources are out, its not too difficult to get the ball going for 2.2

I am doing some things and recommend most to keep looking at the things i'm currently doing thread.

Don't get me wrong tho, if they do decide to work on 2.2 it'd be great, especially if they release that 2.2 kernel, roms could be cooking with little extra side features.

One of the things I looked at with current kernel source was making the cpu speed a bit higher, I need to fix the volts on it or something because bumping it up to ~900mhz and it wouldn't boot.

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
given that kernel sources are out, its not too difficult to get the ball going for 2.2

I am doing some things and recommend most to keep looking at the things i'm currently doing thread.

Don't get me wrong tho, if they do decide to work on 2.2 it'd be great, especially if they release that 2.2 kernel, roms could be cooking with little extra side features.

One of the things I looked at with current kernel source was making the cpu speed a bit higher, I need to fix the volts on it or something because bumping it up to ~900mhz and it wouldn't boot.

That's what I know. But it really hurts Android from an end-user standpoint if every shipping device has to be rooted and flashed. I do think a Froyo update at minimum is inline with what the product should come with. Of course, at this point it makes more sense to put Gingerbread on it since it has proper dual-camera and tablet support.

As for overclocking, we had similar issues with the Acer Liquid overclocking, which is also from Code Aurora Forum. This is the one we were using for Eclair: http://gitorious.org/~phhusson/liqu...obs/master/arch/arm/mach-msm/acpuclock-8x50.c (phhusson came up with these)

We also had issues pushing to 1 GHz. Acer Liquid ships stock with 768MHz. We had to push to 1.3V to get 900 MHz stable.

kid-a429

Dec 8, 2010
i did just get off the phone with them as well. what i was told is that they plan on an update in the first half of 2011 but they dont know when. it sounds like they do have an ambition to keep the ball going with the tablet. i mean if im without flash for a while so be it. btw the guys at tech support were awesome really nice over the phone. thats one plus side about them.

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
I called Huawei North American technical support about this. The customer support representative said that they actually have not gotten any confirmation from Huawei engineers about an official release date for it, but at some point it was planned. From this communication, he emphasized there has been no commitment from Huawei for an Android 2.2 release for the S7. However, his communication with engineers indicated that an update was planned at some point.

What this means for us is that the community might have to do something to make Huawei aware of this if they want to see Android 2.2 and beyond on the S7.

Huawei Customer Support Line: 18774482934
More Huawei contact information: Huawei - Contact us

I am no longer certain about an Android upgrade. I may have been over enthusiastic. But since we do have one confirmation from Huawei Norway on Facebook, I think it makes sense to verify this and establish some sort of conclusion.

In terms of what is possible from a community development standpoint, I think Froyo is may be feasible given what I've seen thus far in the Android community, especially on the Qualcomm Snapdragon platform. But it would be fair to us all if Huawei would commit to an official update.

thks for the update; the info and tel# are much appreciated...!!

this is also great news, and i/we look forward to hearing about your ROM once it is available;..:)

i did just get off the phone with them as well. what i was told is that they plan on an update in the first half of 2011 but they dont know when. it sounds like they do have an ambition to keep the ball going with the tablet. i mean if im without flash for a while so be it. btw the guys at tech support were awesome really nice over the phone. thats one plus side about them.

personally I am not convinced they will update it; although I hope to be wrong the fact of the matter is that HUAWEI has already been giving conflicting information on the 2.2 update; and the market is changing so quickly perhaps HUAWEI like other manufacturers' will update the hardware with 2.2 preinstalled so as to get us to buy a new unit;

i hope i am wrong but.......

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Ok, so I also had a nice long conversation with the North American office of Hauwei, and through a contact there they validated a couple of items and will be checking some other things as well, and have a bit of an update.

1. Froyo Support - Huawei North America (HNA) has been told definitely that an upgrade is coming in 2011, right now it is planned for 2.2, but they are now evaluating going straight to 2.3 which is now a possibility. Either way, we should have at least 2.2 first half of the year at the latest. Unfortunately the company policy is to not release specific information until they are ready to actually deliver the release so we don't have an exact date.

2. HNA is looking into both the information on Huawei Norway's Facebook post that 2.2 is coming Q1 2011 and the reports that the India S7 Variant in stores now already has 2.2. It has been reported to be available in Mumbai, I have a friend there that is supposed to be verifying it this week unless someone else can also do so.

3. HNA hopes to have specific information from the head office in China by the end of the week on official wall chargers, car chargers and replacement batteries as well.

I will be having a follow up call with them on Friday, at which time I hope to have more specific details. They are also going to be looking at joining the forum to better gauge what users want and are talking about, but in an "unofficial" capacity. This means we may be able to get some more direct support and responses, so it is all good.

Cheers,
Peter

KitN

Dec 1, 2010
Hi all,

I'm new to the Android platform and am scared of the whole rooting process. Could anyone tell me step-by-step instruction on how to root the S7? Exactly what program to use and how? :confused:

I'm scared of bricking the S7 or really screwing something up so if you can spell it out, step-by-step I'd be eternally grateful. :)

Thank you in advance.

KitN

Dec 1, 2010
Not having a public, official confirmation of an Android 2.2/2.3 update makes me very uneasy about spending $299+ on an Android device when I could spend $299 or less right now on another manufacturer's Android device that either naively comes with 2.2 or has an update out already for 2.2 (example: Archos 101 or 70).

I really need something officially stated in print that clearly says that Huawei will support their S7 device and offer an update to either 2.2 or 2.3. Not having flash, crappy battery life and useless cameras, all which would be fixed/helped with 2.2/2.3 update, is enough to make me not plunk down my money this Christmas season. They need to get an update to 2.2/2.3 or I'm going to their competition and buying.

This is a make or break issue for me....

Please keep us updated on any news you might get regarding this matter.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
KitN -

Sounds like your mind is already made up, which is fine. I dont think the S7 is probably the device for you.

P

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
What do you need to root it for? Right now there is no specific function that requires it, we root our devices to explore, to learn and to extend the functionality of the device. If you are not comfortable with the risk there is no pressing need to make it work.

ZHkilla

Nov 25, 2010
One really good reason for rooting your tablet would be so you could take advantage of clockspeed setters like setcpu. You can slow down your tablet for more battery life or increase it for a more quick and zippy interface. Root is for devs, or ppl that would like to change appearance of phone.

Sent from my Keebler using Android Tablet Forum App

dnjpowell

Nov 7, 2010
I too don't want to brick my device but want expanded functionality. However I suggest before following someone else's steps, research on here first. With understanding is knowledge and should you run into an issue, you will have some understanding on what to do. I personally don't want to just rely on what a stranger says is needed to root my tablet (no offense guys!) Research first and if you still have questions I'm sure you will find people more willing to lend a hand. Try to Google your device type plus "rooting" and you should find may sites with info and tips. Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.