I'm Done!

RevKev

Mar 3, 2011
I have tried to make this 7015 work. I have wanted it to work, I had dreams it would work, I even saw moments when it did have flashes of brilliance. But I have spent the last 20 minutes trying to get and keep an WiFi connection in my home. There is only ONE spot where it will work - unless I sit onto of the router.
This unit has the poorest WiFi connector I have EVER seen. Unless I can be perusaded otherwise, I cannot see anyone getting and enjoying this tablet. This is my first tablet & I had hoped it would be able to replace my laptop so that my wife could use the laptop & I would use the Coby, since we're on a very tight budget (4 kids in college).
But what a waste!!!
Thank you everyone for your expertise and generous help and advise. I wish it would have worked out better.
I wish you much success - better than what my experience has been!

psphacker06

Mar 14, 2011
I have tried to make this 7015 work. I have wanted it to work, I had dreams it would work, I even saw moments when it did have flashes of brilliance. But I have spent the last 20 minutes trying to get and keep an WiFi connection in my home. There is only ONE spot where it will work - unless I sit onto of the router.
This unit has the poorest WiFi connector I have EVER seen. Unless I can be perusaded otherwise, I cannot see anyone getting and enjoying this tablet. This is my first tablet & I had hoped it would be able to replace my laptop so that my wife could use the laptop & I would use the Coby, since we're on a very tight budget (4 kids in college).
But what a waste!!!
Thank you everyone for your expertise and generous help and advise. I wish it would have worked out better.
I wish you much success - better than what my experience has been!
I really think you got a faulty unit. I leave my house and go into the car and still get wifi, and trust me its kinda far because i live in a apartment. Im not a big fan of tablets but after this 1, i fell in love with them and use it all the time, from shopping on amazon, to email, to irc chat, to printing work, for music, videos, movies, weird games that i find fun, the apps and everything. If you still can, i think you should return yours and get a new 1 and see if that 1 will work for u. These dont have the best wifi adapter, but they also dont have 1 as you described. my guess- faulty unit

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Have to agree with the hacker on this. The wifi on the Coby isn't the greatest but not as bad as you're describing either.

RevKev

Mar 3, 2011
Thanks for your encouragement. My WiFi is with AT&T but it is a horrible reception. I get just the ball or at more one "bar" level andit waits to go out the second I get an internet connection. It is incredibly fustrating. I bought the unit in December and I don't remember it being this bad. I do have a couple of hot spots where the reception is decent, but I would expect it to do better (even if Coby is WiFi challenged). Is there are recourse for having a bad unit or am I just stuck with it? Its so discouraging.

WhiteWhiskers

Mar 11, 2011
My WiFi is with AT&T but it is a horrible reception.
Do you have access to the wireless settings? On most routers there's an option in the 2.4GHz wireless setting for selecting a channel. The default is 6 and most people just leave it there. If you can, try changing the channel to 1 or 11. That may make a difference in reception.

I have very good reception with my Coby 7015, even if I am far from the router. The speed of the data seems slow compared to other wireless devices but the signal strength is always very good.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Tablet WiFi is only 1Tx / 1Rx just two metal leads that it. They all have the same type of setup. Time beef up your home or business with some more APn's. My data packets transmits and receives very good. But again remember this is 802.11G @ 20MHz not 802.11N @ 40MHz 2Tx / 2Rx.

Last edited:

RevKev

Mar 3, 2011
I just looked at the router and there are no indicators or switches or anything that would tell me what channel it's on. The router is from AT&T and is a combo with our phone, internet and U-Verse television. I wonder if the techs at AT&T would know and be able to make some kind of change.

RevKev

Mar 3, 2011
Ah, no... I'm really a newbie just trying to get my Coby to work. Is it possible to tell me what I'm looking for and how to do it? THANK YOU SO MUCH!

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
In the address bar of your browser you type in an address like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.30 or something like it to get to the setup of your router or access point. Don't know what the address of your particular router is but you should be able to find it with a google search.
Usually you just type in 'admin' for the user ID with no password to get in.

UPDATE: Don't know if this is your router but this is the kind of info you're looking for: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090705142046AAgRpGm

Last edited:

RevKev

Mar 3, 2011
I afraid I'm not finding what you're talking about (That is my router BTW). When I put 192.168.1.254 into the address box in IE I only get a listing of various websites that explain what that number is in general. I did download the app "WiFi Analyzer" and saw that I'm on channel 11 (ironically I'm actually closer to my neighbor's router! His signal is stronger than mine! LOL). Any way thisis what I got from the analyzer:
(00:24:56:a2:8f:61) and signal strength is -70 to -60 dBm and the curve is from chasnnels 9-13
Does any of this help?

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
OK, in the search box of windows type in 'cmd' and hit enter. In the command window type 'ipconfig' and hit enter. In the info that appears there should be a Default Gateway address. That is the address to your router.
Again, not familiar with your router but there may be settings to adjust the transmit power along with the channel used.

Last edited:

WhiteWhiskers

Mar 11, 2011
I did download the app "WiFi Analyzer" and saw that I'm on channel 11 (ironically I'm actually closer to my neighbor's router! His signal is stronger than mine! LOL)
The thing is, if you never set up your Coby device to connect to a specific Wi-Fi network, you might not even be connecting to your own router but to another open network. Your router should have a unique network SSID which you enter in the Coby so at the least you know you are connecting to your own box.

Anyway, this was all just a thought. Trying to figure out if you have a defective Coby or your home Wi-Fi box isn't working as best as it can. Maybe try taking the Coby to Starbucks where they offer free Wi-Fi. While you are enjoying one of their really great coffees, try connecting to their network and see how the thing behaves. If it's zooming right along even after you walk outside, that might tell you something.

RevKev

Mar 3, 2011
Not a bad idea! I have see my Coby forthe WiFi. In fact I change it from my work router to home. So I know what you're talking about. I'll keep working at it...perhaps there's just a dead spot in our home for the Coby. Anyway, I've saving my pennies for a 10" capacitive touch whateverpad! Thanks for your support!