Initial thoughts?

wuyanks

Jul 23, 2010
So the GenTouch has been out for a few days, and people are slowly getting ahold of them. What are your initial impressions of the device, and do you plan to keep it?

dadown

Jul 31, 2010
I bought one and have been trying out all the features. I mostly like it, particularly the crisp display. I was surprised how well it play videos, but the tiny speaker does a poor job on music. I'm still getting used to the sluggish touch screen, but found that using my fingernail works pretty good most of the time. However, if I can't get the Android Market to download and install new apps (it hangs), it will probably be a show-stopper.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
I believe this will be fixed with a software update. I wouldn't give up hope just yet.

I wonder if the sluggish interface is due to lack of CPU. Perhaps a more optimized ROM can fix that in the future.

Xcountry

Jul 31, 2010
I have played with this since last night! Its kind of a PIA to get the keyboard to work right but once you figure it out your good. The stylus really helps the typing. Other then that I think its great! Yes alittle sluggish and the resistive screen sucks but hey....$150!!! What do you expect!! If I wanted an Ipad I would have spent the money on a Ipad!!! Then again I have a laptop! My thoughts, for $150 you cant go wrong. And if some bright soul figures a way to root it and load a rom and kernel, then its going to be money!!!!

trido

Aug 1, 2010
No vol control? Am I over looking vol control? Or must we go into menu then setting every single time to change vol?

trido

n0m0n

Jul 31, 2010
Well its been about 4 days now and I am still disappointed.
Major problems in an order that most effects my usage.
1. Screen isn't bad its horrible.
2. Lack or tease of a market option its not the most freeing that I have to keep migrating by switching my SDCard to install app's.
Landscape Portrait option: I have a few app's that tease me once and a while and I'm happier for that SHORT period of time.

How about a manual that actually has what it says its supposed to in respect to features:
a. Red LED turns GREEN when fully charged??? NOT
b. Orientation option in settings??? NOT
c. Calibration options in settings??? NOT
d. How about when you say your coming out with a patch to address these issues "@ 1700 EST on Friday" and all you do is issue a USB to PC file. LAME
e. Battery is poor and I dont see anyway to swop it out (without ripping it a part) for a one if they ever become available.

I root my android devices, unlock/ jailbreak my apple devices, install leaks ect. on my BB devices as well...
Devices that are fully operational, working and I want more control, customization, but there just isn't enough here for me to be able to keep it.
I wanted to get a device that no wasn't a iPAD did not expect 1 for the price but this is a wannabe tablet at best, at very best.

I am now trying to and I mean trying to deleter via Settings | Applications | Manage application a few non working app's and since I began this rant my devise is there with the spinning wheel loading...
Yeah this is going to be fun.

Yeah I heard its only 149.00 but when did 150.00 become what it cost for a cup of coffee these days.
Thats not cheap regardless if its competition (thats a joke) is a blotted Apple iPod.

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I have it about 3 days now and seems fine, except for the glitches.

Last edited:

jelinidas

Aug 4, 2010
I kinda like it now that I have it setup like I want it. I download apps to my Nexus and do a SD card switch and install em that way. There are also tons of places to get free apps to download directly.

I like to have it sitting on the coffetable while watching TV for email/Facebook/Twitter. It plays video well, I installed a bunch for the kids. Wife says ebook readers work great.

It connects easily to my cradlepoint router at home. Works great at the local McDs, Beaners, and even outside the lil NoTell Motel.

It is what it is. A $150 tablet. Screen will never be like my Nexus. Apps run great once you have them. Once this thing gets modded it will be better, but never an ipad.

overall...it grows on ya!

cpg716

Jul 23, 2010
I didn't expect much from a $150.00 device from a company I had never heard of. I think many of the issues people have (market, screen response,battery life etc.) will be fixed with updates. I have been speaking with people at the corp office and they do seem to want to make sure we are happy with this device, because they do plan to offer future devices. Their story is that Kmart pushed them to release this before they were ready. They wanted to do it in Sept, Not July... This would have gave them a month to work on it before release. This is a Chinese product (Dawa D7), and I suspect a OEM device, so they didnt get the time to really put their touch(no pun) to it...I think we will know in the next week if they can succeed with this, as their promised update should be out by 8/11. If this update does come, and fixes a substantial amount of issues then I think the device is more then worth the $150..

If they fail to meet their projected release dates repeatedly, or the update is garbage.. then well.. hopefully by then the mod/hacking community is full steam..

CPG

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I'm impressed that this thing even has support at all. Not bad at all. A lot better than what we can do diy with Shanzhai devices.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Well at least there is support. You get 1 year warranty instead of that 90-days. Parent company is based out of Broward County South Florida

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Parent company or not, this thing is coming straight out of Shenzhen right beside your Apad and Eken factories. You can bet on that. My China contact was saying how he saw this thing before it arrived on American shores.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Well true it does come from China as does the ePad, aPad, and iPad and most everything else electronic today. It works for what it can do. I can monitor my network gear through my IIS 7 and play music download movies to the device using microSDHC. Was viewing this site today. To me the battery last longer than my two netbooks ACER and ASUS. Once the kinks get fixed I am sure going to make great Christmas gifts this year, but the supply and demand is the deciding factor.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Can I get an Amen.. this thing rocks for $150.... a bit of a hassle to get tweaked to a good usable state.. just hate that this is going to be what some people use as their initial Android experience... also wish they had spent just a few more bucks in development to add the g-senor and a mic... one the greatest advents of Android 2.1 was the voice to text capabilities... that would have done away with alot of the complaints as far as typing on the resistive screen.. even if it had brought the cost up to $200 it still would have been a bargin... and speaking of battery life, is it just me or does the battery seem to last longer with this last update with this last update? i deffinatly think the screen response has improved.. and speaking on screen response and the resistive screen.. the experience would be alot better if they would double the long press timing... there's a fine line between pressing to drag an icon/widget/screen transition and hitting the threshhold for the long press options, i'm sure that has to be a coding option in an android config file...

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Can I get an Amen.. this thing rocks for $150.... a bit of a hassle to get tweaked to a good usable state.. just hate that this is going to be what some people use as their initial Android experience... also wish they had spent just a few more bucks in development to add the g-senor and a mic... one the greatest advents of Android 2.1 was the voice to text capabilities... that would have done away with alot of the complaints as far as typing on the resistive screen.. even if it had brought the cost up to $200 it still would have been a bargin... and speaking of battery life, is it just me or does the battery seem to last longer with this last update with this last update? i deffinatly think the screen response has improved.. and speaking on screen response and the resistive screen.. the experience would be alot better if they would double the long press timing... there's a fine line between pressing to drag an icon/widget/screen transition and hitting the threshhold for the long press options, i'm sure that has to be a coding option in an android config file...

Yes battery life has increased again. To me that's good I can work on it more than 4 hrs. With all the tweaks that are available for this table it really works well.
40562_426162397948_579882948_5030123_3931048_n.jpg

I like how the buttons to the right scroll up and down with just a touch with my finger in either direction. I have Magic Wall install to change the wallpaper to any image I choose.