Is this possible before i buy one?

gibbon

Oct 6, 2010
Hi, im not 100% up on these android tablets, but like the idea of having one for simply carrying one with me when i go to take photos using my DSLR and then if need be, connet the camera to it, download a few photos to open and check to see if there in focus and sharp ETC.

Is this possible as it is, not to interested about editing or anything, just checking the images RAW if possible or JPEG.

Also, any recommendations on which tablets, budget in mind! :D

Thanks
Andy

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
You could take out the sd card and throw it in the tablet and see the pictures no problem and if you just want a tablet to do that any tablet with a full size sd card slot will work great for you

gibbon

Oct 6, 2010
Hi, well the dslr uses a CFII... but im trying to keep the job efficient, so having to take the card out each time would become a problem, when the camera is plugged into a PC via USB it just shows as a storage, is there know way of this happeneing using a android tablet?

Thanks
Andy

Oct 2, 2010
You know what? That would be a handy little function to have - especially for a pro. My DSLR takes a CFII as well, so I think I'll see what happens if I hook the usb cable up. If it works I'll let you know.

Oct 2, 2010
Well unfortunately I don't have a mini USB to USB connector handy. I'll look around and see if I can find one. With the Archos 5 you can buy a nice little HDMI dock that has a USB port on it - which I have, but now need the proper connector for the camera.

I'll tinker some more tomorrow, and should have a result by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

Oct 2, 2010
Well, it won't work on the Archos 5IT. For one thing, the graphics are pretty, well, basic. If you really want to get a good one that might be good for photo review - why not wait until some of the tablets that are coming out get reviewed, and then you could go by which one has good video playback or nice gallery shots.

Really sorry I couldn't be of more help - I do think it would be a useful tool for a photographer to have.

Oct 2, 2010
I take it back. You can upload a few test shots on the Archos 5 to see if they look ok. They do look ok, but remember I'm looking at them on a 5 inch screen, and need to have a USB adapter (sold separately) hooked up to it so I can download a few shots. Now the 5 inch screen is very portable, but I would seriously wait for some of the newer tablets to come out, since a lot of them have built in USB slots and since a lot of them are faster and more capable units.

Oh! And one other thing. The screen on the Archos is very difficult to view in sunlight - and sometimes is impossible to view. It has a very glossy almost mirrored surface.

gibbon

Oct 6, 2010
Hi, ahh excellent, so the Android sytem actually recognises the "driver" or "camera" when you plug it in? And allow you to download the images?

What camera do you have?
Thanks again for this.
Andy