It just makes sense

WASPMAN3

Dec 26, 2010
For whatever reason my wife didn't really get into her Ipad I got her last year for her birthday so were selling it and getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab. I have the Galaxy S phone..(Captivate) and love it. I guess a couple questions before I take the plunge are where's the cheapest place to buy one? In order to use video chat does it have to be someone with another Tab as this is all new to me and should be fun. I keep hearing issues about syncing the Google calendar to the tab. I use Google Chrome and will have many uses with my Tab to help me get organized as I'm a basketball Coach and Umpire.
Any other issues I should know about that I may not be aware of from someone that has one. Please also include what you like about it also. Thanks

fishstick600

Jul 26, 2010
skype doesnt have video chat for android yet... So unless you both have droids and use the same video chat aplication then it wont work. I have never had an issue with syncing between google and my tablets calendar...with that being said if i set up my calendar from gmail it wont sync right with my droid x which doesnt make any since.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy tablet using Tapatalk

WASPMAN3

Dec 26, 2010
Can you watch live ball games on your Tab? What are some of the drawbacks if any? Will it upgrade when/if any come out?

fishstick600

Jul 26, 2010
There are a few apps out there to watch tv and sports so yes... draw backs? I dunno I love my tablet but I would wait and get a new gen with a tegra 2 processor. Upgrades will be pushed as long as it meets the minimum requirements and the company that produced it sends it out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

djjinx1

Dec 3, 2010
skype doesnt have video chat for android yet... So unless you both have droids and use the same video chat aplication then it wont work. I have never had an issue with syncing between google and my tablets calendar...with that being said if i set up my calendar from gmail it wont sync right with my droid x which doesnt make any since.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy tablet using Tapatalk

How about Fring??? Works on all androids no?

fring on Android ? Free mobile video calls, voice calls & live chat to other fringsters, Gtalk, AIM, Facebook, Yahoo and others (3G & Wifi)

And to the OP I wouldnt wait for the Tegra 2 tab's , the Galaxy Tab is a great piece of kit just find the cheapest deal you can , then head over to XDA and see what you want to do with it (Root , Overclock , Roms etc):D

Even if Samsung dont upgrade it to Honeycomb , i'm sure some devs will (Cyanogen Gingerbread has already been started on)

Dec 8, 2010
For whatever reason my wife didn't really get into her Ipad I got her last year for her birthday so were selling it and getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab. I have the Galaxy S phone..(Captivate) and love it. I guess a couple questions before I take the plunge are where's the cheapest place to buy one? In order to use video chat does it have to be someone with another Tab as this is all new to me and should be fun. I keep hearing issues about syncing the Google calendar to the tab. I use Google Chrome and will have many uses with my Tab to help me get organized as I'm a basketball Coach and Umpire.
Any other issues I should know about that I may not be aware of from someone that has one. Please also include what you like about it also. Thanks

Hey, WASPMAN3. I've owned my Gal-Tab for close to two months now and would consider having it grafted directly to my hand if I could come up with the cash. LOL I did a couple of months research on it when it was just Vaporware in the States; once it launched in the U.S., I was on a mission to buy one. Found out, that for ME, the BEST PRICING was at HSN.com. During November and December, they had it for $699.00; 4 months payments (no interest); and a $300 VISA card rebate and a $50.00 Samsung Media Hub credit. NOTE: You have 30 days upon opening the package, to return it....NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!! That's HSN's policy. So, if you really want to give it a go, buy it through them and use/abuse the 30 days. I had previously ordered, through HSN the Entourage Edge tablet and the Nextbook2; ran them through their paces and sent both back for full credit. Got the Gal-Tab on pure speculation and research and NEVER sent it back. I figure that you can experiment with Google Chrome and video chatting once you have it in your hands. Good luck! I love mine to bits and pieces.

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
Did you have to sign up for a 2 year data plan contract to get that pricing?

Dec 8, 2010
Yes and No. No one forced you to sign up with Sprint; it was a complete option. But, BEST BUY was selling the Gal-Tab with NO SERVICE for $649.00; AT & T (my carrier) was selling them with NO SERVICE for $599, service plan extra. I checked every dollar option before going with HSN and their plan and $350.00 in rebates was the clear winner! I knew that for my business purposes, it was mandatory for me to get 3G from someone; this tablet was NOT going to be a "stay at home" device where I could tap into my Wi-Fi. So, I willingly signed up for it and have been delighted with the MediaHub movies and when I get the $300.00 VISA card, that's going to be used exclusively to pay my $30.00/month Sprint bill. So, I end up getting a free year of 3G service by using the card. Many of the reviewers on HSN chose not to hook up but were still pleased with the Gal-Tab and the pricing structure of Flex-Pay.