[Kernel][Eclair][Froyo][CM7][Honeycomb] Dalingrin's OC kernels

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Yes, i wiped the cache & dalvik cache. I killed all services/tasks with FastReboot and when i run a Quadrant benchmark, i get around 1230. Pretty good, i guess. Maybe because the running SetCPU (ondemand profile) i wasn't feel the power-gain. I will play with the settings.

In order to have a decent 'feel' for the changes, install the stock kernel and set your setCPU to min/max of 800. Run a few benchmarks and play with a few apps doing whatever some of your standard uses are. Even time them if you want. Then flash the 1.1 kernel, change your setCPU to min.max 1100 and repeat the benchmarks and tests.

If you don't compare with the CPU set to max then you WILL fall victim to not noticing a difference because with setCPU you will only notice a difference when the app decides to ramp up your cpu to meet demands. Which is a lot harder to compare.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
When i finally decided to stay with the 1.1Ghz kernel, i run into this post: BRICKED:No power on, no boot from SD - xda-developers
Possibly bricking by burning the processor?

I just read this as well, but i've been running for over a week and im good.

He had this kernel with the bc image, so it might be a combo problem only. Also, there was a comment about 1.1 being run with upped voltage and my understanding is it not. So we should be safe.

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using Tapatalk

zetlorf

Nov 17, 2010
One thing which i observed after i reflashed the "stock kernel": the sensitivity-problem still persist. So i have to lock & unlock the device just like with the OC kernels. Too bad.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
When i finally decided to stay with the 1.1Ghz kernel, i run into this post: BRICKED:No power on, no boot from SD - xda-developers
Possibly bricking by burning the processor?

I would not worry about burning the processor with the omap kernel. While is possible, it is unlikely. I have had my Droid overclocked to 1.1ghz for about 5 months and that has a much smaller processor than the Nook Color. The problem with the Nook Right now though is that it doesn't display temp settings in setcpu correctly, but if your device isn't getting physically hot, I wouldn't worry. But the 800ghz stock is plenty fast if you do not want to take the plunge with the 1.1ghz just to be on the safe side.

sleibow

Nov 28, 2010
Hi everyone

I am dying to OC my Nook (Rooted) Color. Somewhere I know there is a easy to understand set of directions for the not very technical savvy person, can someone please direct me to the site. OC is the missing piece to this wonderful puzzle I have. Thanks in advance for everyone's hard work and help

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

j3enator

Mar 7, 2011
I've been on the XDA developers forum and been here on the Android forums. I wanted to know the differences between the overclocking zips.

On the XDA developers forum there are the following:

1) eclair kernels
2) froyo and CM7 kernels
3) honeycomb kernels

Over here on Android forums there are the following:

kernel-1000mhz-omap3630
kernel-1100mhz-omap3630
kernel-1ghz.zip
kernel-950mhz.zip
kernel-stock.zip stock 1.0.1

Question 1: What are the differences between all these kernels and which ones do I download for my nook color?

Question 2: Will overclocking (which of the above kernels) drain my battery and/or cause overheating?

Question 3: Is there a way around the sensitivity issue, a permanent solution besides the "sleep mode trick"

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I've been on the XDA developers forum and been here on the Android forums. I wanted to know the differences between the overclocking zips.

On the XDA developers forum there are the following:

1) eclair kernels
2) froyo and CM7 kernels
3) honeycomb kernels

Over here on Android forums there are the following:

kernel-1000mhz-omap3630
kernel-1100mhz-omap3630
kernel-1ghz.zip
kernel-950mhz.zip

Question 1: What are the differences between all these kernels and which ones do I download for my nook color?

Question 2: Will overclocking (which of the above kernels) drain my battery and/or cause overheating?

Question 3: Is there a way around the sensitivity issue, a permanent solution besides the "sleep mode trick"

1. The kernels you listed from here are only for android 2.1 (eclair) operation systems and there is no difference except the ones on xda are made for each OS now available listed separately so people don't get them mixed up. I do need to update the ones we listed here.

2. No and no. Whne you use any of the overclocking kernels you will be using an apps called SeCPU to set the clock speed. This app, with the help of a few simple set profiles, will scale up or down the clock as needed from 300, 600, and max clock, saving you battery live. Most all of us using this app along with overclocking gain from 4-8 additional hours of battery life. See her for SetCPU setup: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/5119-setcpu-settings-nookcolor.html

3. No there isn't a permanent solution for now. More kernels will be made and I'm sure this issue will be worked out. And just for clarity, the sensitivity issues is only on boot ups. Once you let the NC go to sleep or you put it to sleep by pressing the power button. Once woken back up the sensitivity will return permanently until the NC is turned off or next reboot. For me and I'm sure many others, that never or hardly turn off our NCs, this sensitivity is almost a non existent issue. I myself charge my NC at night, unplug in the morning and I'm on my way for the whole day.

We will be updating the threads to show the new dalingrin kernels.

Last edited:

j3enator

Mar 7, 2011
Thank you Rico2001. You are very informative.

Just so that I understand.

eclair kernels = kernel-1000mhz-omap3630
kernel-1100mhz-omap3630
kernel-1ghz.zip
kernel-950mhz.zip

When you say Android 2.1 you mean the stock version or BN Nook Color after rooting it?

You also said that you need to update the kernels. Does that mean these are out of date?

And when you say you will post dalingrin kernels... are they the updated ones you speak or just a better set of kernels?

KDOG

Dec 29, 2010
Just installed it and SetCPU and its ticking along at 1.1ghz "Interactive". So far so good....

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Thank you Rico2001. You are very informative.

Just so that I understand.

eclair kernels = kernel-1000mhz-omap3630
kernel-1100mhz-omap3630
kernel-1ghz.zip
kernel-950mhz.zip

When you say Android 2.1 you mean the stock version or BN Nook Color after rooting it?

You also said that you need to update the kernels. Does that mean these are out of date?

And when you say you will post dalingrin kernels... are they the updated ones you speak or just a better set of kernels?

These work just fine, and yes, when we refer to 2.1 its the OS behind the B&N UI.

dalingrin's kernels are the updated kernels he is talking about, but the ones you posted about work just fine.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So it looks like dalingrin has been busy. Anbody know anything about all the new Kernels?