Kyros USB Host + device list

jair2k4

Dec 14, 2010
Hey all,

I've been playing around with USB devices today. I seem to be running into some snags. I searched the forums, but the closest answer i could find was over in the Augen section. The Gentouch currently doesnt support USB Host mode without a different ROM, which is one of the reasons i ditched it in favor of the Kyros.

I plugged a generic $5 keyboard i got from Office Depot in and it worked spot on.
PNY Attache 4gb flash drive, no problems. (I think the files were under SCSI, if i remember right).

*edit, yes they are in the /SCSI folder. Edit the Vold.conf file in /etc to change the default mount folder. Don't blame me if you break it though!*

I then plugged a generic hub in that gets all it's power from the port it is plugged into... I got led, but nothing else. Figures as much, not enough power. Maybe a hub that has external power might work. I dont have one so i dont know.

Here's my big issue though... I plugged my Logitech wireless mouse dongle in.. I had cursor movement in Dolphin for a minute, and then nothing. I unplugged and then plugged back in: nothing. I tried my second mouse (identical to the first one)... nothing.

Plugged my Daughter's Microsoft wireless mouse in, it detected it right away, but.... it treated it like a d-pad. Move up, screen goes up. Down is down. Moving left and right only highlighted items to the left and right as if you were pushing the left and right arrows on a keyboard.... Ghaaa! I had cursor for a brief moment on the first mouse, so i am fairly sure this works...

It should also be noted that when i plugged her dongle in.. my home screen flashed black for a second and then back to normal. Right when it came back up, the mouse was recognized.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Also, It'd be great to see a master list of confirmed working devices through the USB port. Thoughts and ideas?

THE LIST!!!!!

Confirmed Working:

Hard drives
WD Onetouch external hard drive - depending on file system
Creative Vision M 60GB

Flash Drives
PNY Attache 4gb
Sandisk Cruzer Pattern 2gb
Sandisk Cruzer Micro 4gb
ADATA SD to USB adaptor (SD, MMC, Mini SD) - Any card will work in it, as long as it has the right file system!
Dane-Elec 512mb
Super Flash Drive 8GB USB stick
Patriot 32gb
Patriot Rage 8 GB USB stick
Transcend 8gb
SanDisk USB to SD card adaptor - Any card will work in it, as long as it has the right file system!

HID:
Generic USB Keyboard - Gearhead KB2300U
Gearhead mini usb keyboard
Dell USB keyboard
Microsoft 1359 Wireless Mouse (even though it's wonky)
Rocketfish wireless mouse (also wonky)
Microsoft comfort optical mouse 1000

Confirmed not working:

Flash Drives:
16GB DataSick PRO

HID:
Standard Logitech wireless mouse (no clue what the model is)
Gigaware mini travel mouse - nothing at all
SpeedLink Competition Pro USB Joystick
Logitech wireless keyboard (I'd like to see some more testing on this one)

Other:
Macsense micro bluetooth adaptor
Ipod Nano 2g - starts charging like plugged into wall, nothing else.
Ipod Shuffle 1g - Absolutely nothing.
Sony USB DVD

Huh?:
Blackberry Curve 8530 - detects, says damaged sd card, then reboots tablet.
DroidX in USB mass storage reboots both devices
PSP 1000 (Fat) - Detects that is connected, doesnt map on tablet at all.
PSP Go - same as fat PSP
Targus PAUM01 mini mouse - Immediately resets tablet.....
Airlink 101 USB Bluetooth adaptor - Nothing when plugged in, resets tablet when removed.

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Have you tried a wired mouse

Sent from my incredible using Android Talert Forum

jair2k4

Dec 14, 2010
I just ran through the house grabbing up all of my toys. Plugged each one in and tested them thoroughly. Updated my original post with the list. Any results that are posted here will get added. I encourage everyone to go running for USB goodies and test them out!

***EDIT***

Forgot to mention, we should be able to edit the Vold.conf file in the etc folder to change where the flash drives are mounted. The file is automatically set to mount to SCSI from stock.

Last edited:

jair2k4

Dec 14, 2010
*BUMP*

C'mon guys, doesnt anyone out there want to help explore what usb devices our little buddies will support?

GotNet

Jan 1, 2011
Sony USB DVD and a little keyboard-touchpad-laser pointer both no go.
500GB 2.5 HD rebooted the 7015.
DroidX in USB mass storage reboots both devices.
16GB DataSick PRO doesn't read.

Lots don't work. Think I'll try to USB jump start the car next.

****Edit****

One of the attempts must have hung the port, so...

The 16GB DataStick PRO does work
Wireless mini keyboard touchpad laser pointer works too. http://www.amazon.com/2-4GHz-Wireless-Keyboard-TouchPad-Pointer/dp/B003I60MBU

Last edited:

cobynancy

Dec 29, 2010
i havent gotten any usb devices to work....mouse all i get is ability to move stuff around but no pointer/cursor and such i am also interested in what devices work i would really like to order that case/keyboard combination but am worried it wont work for the kyros...

GotNet

Jan 1, 2011
i havent gotten any usb devices to work....mouse all i get is ability to move stuff around but no pointer/cursor and such i am also interested in what devices work i would really like to order that case/keyboard combination but am worried it wont work for the kyros...
You mean the $20 eBay combo? Looks cool but the holders don't appear adjustable.

Vin

Jan 7, 2011
Hey all,

I've been playing around with USB devices today. I seem to be running into some snags. I searched the forums, but the closest answer i could find was over in the Augen section. The Gentouch currently doesnt support USB Host mode without a different ROM, which is one of the reasons i ditched it in favor of the Kyros.

I plugged a generic $5 keyboard i got from Office Depot in and it worked spot on.
PNY Attache 4gb flash drive, no problems. (I think the files were under SCSI, if i remember right).

I then plugged a generic hub in that gets all it's power from the port it is plugged into... I got led, but nothing else. Figures as much, not enough power. Maybe a hub that has external power might work. I dont have one so i dont know.

Here's my big issue though... I plugged my Logitech wireless mouse dongle in.. I had cursor movement in Dolphin for a minute, and then nothing. I unplugged and then plugged back in: nothing. I tried my second mouse (identical to the first one)... nothing.

Plugged my Daughter's Microsoft wireless mouse in, it detected it right away, but.... it treated it like a d-pad. Move up, screen goes up. Down is down. Moving left and right only highlighted items to the left and right as if you were pushing the left and right arrows on a keyboard.... Ghaaa! I had cursor for a brief moment on the first mouse, so i am fairly sure this works...

It should also be noted that when i plugged her dongle in.. my home screen flashed black for a second and then back to normal. Right when it came back up, the mouse was recognized.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Also, It'd be great to see a master list of confirmed working devices through the USB port. Thoughts and ideas?

THE LIST!!!!!

Confirmed Working:

Hard drives
WD Onetouch external hard drive - depending on file system

Flash Drives
PNY Attache 4gb
Sandisk Cruzer Pattern 2gb
Sandisk Cruzer Micro 4gb
ADATA SD to USB adaptor (SD, MMC, Mini SD) - Any card will work in it, as long as it has the right file system!
Dane-Elec 512mb

HID:
Generic USB Keyboard - Gearhead KB2300U
Microsoft 1359 Wireless Mouse (even though it's wonky)

Confirmed not working:

HID:
Standard Logitech wireless mouse (no clue what the model is)
Gigaware mini travel mouse - nothing at all

Other:
Macsense micro bluetooth adaptor
Ipod Nano 2g - starts charging like plugged into wall, nothing else.
Ipod Shuffle 1g - Absolutely nothing.

Huh?:
Blackberry Curve 8530 - detects, says damaged sd card, then reboots tablet.
PSP 1000 (Fat) - Detects that is connected, doesnt map on tablet at all.
PSP Go - same as fat PSP
Targus PAUM01 mini mouse - Immediately resets tablet.....
Airlink 101 USB Bluetooth adaptor - Nothing when plugged in, resets tablet when removed.

Just got my Coby Kyros 7015 set up, haven't done the firmware upgrade yet, waiting for my microSD card to be delivered tomorrow (I believe it's a requirement to do the upgrade, correct?) Anyway, I tried a rocketfish wireless mouse and saw what you saw, i.e., could move around but no real control though as I never saw a cursor.

Tried plugging in my Logitech wireless keyboard and got nothing.

Vin

PiddlyD

Jan 9, 2011
I've been searching for where an external USB drive mounts since Christmas. Great information.

Up until this point, I knew that every USB drive I've plugged in is recognized by device name, but I haven't been able to actually find the files.

So, a Patriot 32gb, a Transcend 8gb, and a SanDisk USB to SD card adaptor have all worked successfully. Being able to hook up a 32gb thumb drive is a major win for this device.

I've also hooked up a Dell USB keyboard and that worked fine too. My SpeedLink Competition Pro old school USB joystick was not recognized by the Atari emulator though. I don't *know* if it was recognized and the emulator just didn't support it, or if it wasn't recognized at all. I do know that on my Droid 2 with WiiMote the Atari emulator sees the Wii controller fine over bluetooth.

I've got one lingering question. I can't find a way to safely dismount a USB thumb-drive before pulling it from the Kyros. Any tips on how to do that?

jair2k4

Dec 14, 2010
List updated.

As for safely dismounting a flash drive... I've been trying to figure that out as well. There doesn't seem to be a way to unmount the storage like you would when using the micro sd slot... But Android has to mount it somehow. I'm sure that if you went into a terminal and threw an unmount command (see how much i know about linux? lmfao) of some kind in there, you could force it off.

I am personally not going to worry about it. I never safely remove hardware. I've even pulled PCI cards out of running computers before. Dangerous, i know... but i was too lazy to turn the machine off.

Good going on testing out your devices guys, keep it up!

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Has any one tried a USB port replicator... so you can hook up a keybpoard AND use a jump drive at the same time?
I don't have one and would be interested to see before heading out to buy one...