LCD Density Change

Fuzion

Dec 26, 2010
So I've been using the app LCDDensity to decrease the sizes of the apps icons on my home screen, text, etc. It's a good app but the setting does not stick on a reboot of the Coby 7015.

The 7015 default setting is 240, I am using and like the setting of 200.

I did some searching and found this great hack that permanently keeps the decrease in size even with a reboot.

[How To] Resolution Tweak (req. Root) - Android Forums

You have to be rooted and have a terminal emulator to do this hack to the build.prop file since you will need to gain super user access, mount the system and then copy/paste the updated build.prop.

BTW, I really like the look and hope you guys may like it also!

Fuzion

P.S. Don't forget to calibrate your screen afterwards with the stylus for best results.

Last edited:

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Stickied and will probably be merged into a tweaks/hacks thread later.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Anyone have screenshots ready to compare the differences? I can pull it off my X5A if no one volunteers.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Here's default 240:
$240-1-koby.png
$240-2-koby.png

200:
$200-2-koby.png
$200-1-koby.png

180:
$180-2-koby.png

sorry they're sideways. it's late and i don't want to edit them, so 'meh'.

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
So I've been using the app LCDDensity to decrease the sizes of the apps icons on my home screen, text, etc. It's a good app but the setting does not stick on a reboot of the Coby 7015.

I did some searching and found this great hack that permanently keeps the decrease in size even with a reboot.

You have to be rooted and have a terminal emulator to do this hack to the build.prop file since you will need to gain super user access, mount the system and then copy/paste the updated build.prop.

Fuzion

P.S. Don't forget to calibrate your screen afterwards with the stylus for best results.

This tweak worked great! I tested it first with the density app, then went for the permanent change. I didn't have to use ADB, just terminal emulator. Thank you, everything looks MUCH better now at 200 instead of 240.

slopehead

Jan 14, 2011

Fuzion

I'm having trouble getting "LCD Density Change" to work just temporarily. My 7015 is rooted, and when I start the program, it confirms that I am currently set at 240. However, after confirming a change to 180 or 200 and after the reboot, nothing has changed! Any ideas?

Thanks

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Go ahead and try editing your build.prop. You can change it back afterward if you want to. If it works, it could just be the density changer you downloaded.

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
ADB instructions

Open terminal on PC

$adb remount
$adb shell
#cp /system/build.prop /system/build.prop_bak
#exit
$adb pull /system/build.prop build.prop

Go to the folder on you computer where adb puts files.
Open build.prop with gedit (linux) or notepad (win)
Find the line

ro.sf.lcd_density = 240

and change the value to 180 or 200

ro.sf.lcd_density = 200

click save and close.

$adb push build.prop /system/build.prop
$reboot

*this is in case the link to the other instructions goes away. All of this can be accomplished with the terminal it just takes some extra doing.

Bill

carma42

Feb 13, 2011
Wish I had a before picture but if yours is stock well... then you know this is much better. lol. It also makes the Kindle app look great on the lowest text size.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Keep eye on the memory leak problem. Boot shows 256MB but in the operations you loose 102MB with 154MB is what's available. Once everything is loaded available RAM can be less the 70MB.

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
Keep eye on the memory leak problem. Boot shows 256MB but in the operations you loose 102MB with 154MB is what's available. Once everything is loaded available RAM can be less the 70MB.

I've had the memory leak even prior to rooting. Have you noticed that this hack can cause a larger leak? I haven't noticed but would like to find out how to stop it from happening.

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
I have no memory leak problems. Before or after. here's the new changes.
received_0.jpg

What is your available ram after you boot? First of all, it should never say that the total amount of ram is 154mb after boot. Second is that you shouldn't have 70mb available after booting and nothing running yet.

Last edited: