Market on 2.2 Sylvania/Disco - Work In Progress

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Market on 2.2 Sylvania/Disgo - Work In Progress

This is NOT a "How To"! This is a Work In Progress to install a working Google Experience "gapps" (Market, Talk, etc) on version DG2.20. The following is based on trial and error based upon applying others methods to this tablet and may not be factual or correct.

Overview - The DG2.20 updates include some Google applications which provide the ability to generate an "Android Id". The "android_id" is created upon "Sign In" to the Gmail application WITHOUT the need to do the what is know as the "ugly market hack" which requires use of the Emulator and adb commands. However, no other gapps (Market, Talk, etc) are included with the update so a method needs to be identified to get the proper versions of these applications, which will work on DG2.20, to install. Bottom line if updated to 2.2 - No need for the Emulator to generate AndroidId or to use adb & sqlite.

$IMG_0426.JPGMarket working on a SYNET7LP with DG2.20

Currently, the HDPI version of the 2.2 gapps install but require replacement of the existing framework application along with making some permission and property changes. Also, the Market only displays Free applications. This may be an issue with the Location service, settings or something else.

The Gmail application is not initially displayed on the main application window after completing the update to DG2.20 (Android 2.2 "Froyo").

To add Gmail to the main application menu follow these steps:
From the main app window -
$2011-4-9-18-58-3a.JPG
• Touch the Menu icon in the top-right of the screen (represented by four horizontal lines) or Press the Menu button on the back of the tablet
• Touch the ‘Add Application’ icon on the bottom left

$2011-4-9-18-57-43.jpg
• Under Select Activity, select ‘Gmail’ and select.

The Gmail icon will now appear on the main screen.

Upon "Sign In" an "android_id" is created in /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db>secure which all Google apps can utilize to authenticate.

WORK IN PROGRESS

Currently the HDPI Google Apps seem to load with some modification. However, there seems to be an issue with location settings therefore Market reports initially displays "No matching content in Android Market". This statement seems it indicate that the device is not providing a "Location". It also seems that the "Location & security" settings are missing from the "Settings" application in DG2.20. With some modifications to a "location" reference in the Browser settings and possibly reverting to another "android_id" by manually changing it in the settings.db, content started appearing in Market but only Free applications.

The 2.2 update includes -
/system/app/Gmail.apk
/system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk

Reviewing the provided Google Services Framework (gsf) it seems to be pre-populated with "Partner" data which Market reads and limits what's available. After a wipe "Factory Reset" and deleting the DG2.20 version of the gsf, using the some of the HDPI version gapps at the CyanogenMod Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki site, I was able to see more apps. Unfortunately something changed with either the automatic update to the new Market or something deleted the existing cache/data, the ability to see all but a few apps was lost. The ability to see apps returned by searching for all references to "location" and ensuring "en_US" was in each of the relevant "andriod_metadata" Tables.

Both Vending.apk (Market) and gsf have their own databases that may be in conflict. It also appears that the Location service fails to obtain a location which, when searching the Web may be an issue if it thinks it's in China, Market wont show app content.

Biggest issue is that the "abd push ./system \system" doesn't work as it did in the old process. The apk's had to be pushed to data/local and then using RootExplorer moved to /system/app which left incorrect permissions and properties for each file. Using RootExplorer to change permissions and adb change properties (chmod root.root) for each app is a pain.

Code:
C:/>adb shell
$
$su
#cd /system/app
chown root.root GenieWidget.apk [COLOR=blue]< "Acquiring location ..." which fails[/COLOR]
chown root.root GoogleBackupTransport.apk
chown root.root GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
chown root.root GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
chown root.root GoogleFeedback.apk [COLOR=blue]< Not sure if this is needed[/COLOR]
chown root.root GooglePartnerSetup.apk [COLOR=blue]< Not sure if this is needed[/COLOR]
chown root.root GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
chown root.root GoogleServicesFramework.apk
chown root.root googlevoice.apk
chown root.root Maps.apk
chown root.root MarketUpdater.apk [COLOR=blue]< Works - updates the Vending.apk below with more recent version automatically after access Market[/COLOR]
chown root.root MediaUploader.apk
chown root.root NetworkLocation.apk [COLOR=blue]< Not sure if working[/COLOR]
chown root.root SetupWizard.apk [COLOR=blue]< Not sure if this is needed[/COLOR]
chown root.root Street.apk [COLOR=blue]< Random "Force Close"[/COLOR]
chown root.root Talk.apk
chown root.root Vending.apk [COLOR=blue]< Initially version 1.82 updated automatically to 2.3.4[/COLOR]
adb shell only gives $ shell privileges not # root you can $su to get # and then "mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system" but what a pain.

adb remount was so much easier, than adb push ...

With a little effort all of the above "apk"'s seem to install and work.

Again, this is a work in progress for discussion.

More to learn, thanks for any and all support.

WORK IN PROGRESS

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2011
orrrrrr you can just legitimately buy an android tablet endorsed by google instead of "modifying" a pos tablet made by a light bulb company in order to steal google's proprietary applications.

epeereboom

Dec 19, 2010
orrrrrr you can just legitimately buy an android tablet endorsed by google instead of "modifying" a pos tablet made by a light bulb company in order to steal google's proprietary applications.

We understand that you were not happy with this device and that is fine. There is no need to criticize our choice. Alot of us are happy with this "pos" and are having fun trying to figure out what it might be capable of. I'm sure you are going to say it's capable of nothing, but that is for us to decide ourselves.

Sent from my p7901a using Tapatalk

bigwooly

Nov 24, 2010
wow now's when i wish i were a mod for this forum

Please take your anger elsewhere.

aguila37

Apr 14, 2011
What are you trying to do??? If you are happy with your SUPER Tablet enjoy, but let's people enjoy their choices. Why are you taking time to read this forum?? and just "colaborating" whit this kind of post!!!

rob_writer

Apr 7, 2011
Thanks for the link. I've been trying to get this working on my Disco and this helped, but I'm still struggling to get access to all of the apps. I'm new to Android but reasonably competent with this sort of stuff in general.

Before I read this my limited googling seemed to highlight that the default.prop was missing location information but I haven't tried putting any more in there.

Comparing what you've done, I changed the GSF and did a factory data reset but still didnt get any more apps, so Ill try the metadata tables tomorrow.

I guess this all tied up in the lack of a locations section in the settings, but as I said, I'm new to all this!

If anyone else makes progress I'd be interested to hear, and Ill do the same.

EDIT - Also, which version of the Cyanogen GAPPS did you use? I took the latest dedicated HDPI version, but now that I think about it, my marketplace never updated. I did install the market update APK but it didn't seem to anything. However, I didn't install every google app that is in your list, so I'll give that a go incase it depends on something else.

Last edited:

clockworx

Apr 25, 2011
"steal proprietary applications". WTH?
"Android is an open-source software stack for mobile devices, and a corresponding open-source project led by Google." -> Welcome to Android | Android Open Source
You = (Fill in the blank).

If you want to get technical, he is correct. The Google Apps are licensed by Google to devices which Google deems appropriate. (which is how Google got them removed from the Augen Gentouch)

ANYWAYS....I picked up one of these for my little brother, but won't get it til Friday. I'd like to see if I can help w/ the Market Development regardless. Any chance someone can pull /system/framework/framework.jar and /system/app/Settings.apk and host them somewhere? I'd like to see if there might be an easy way to re-enable Location/Security settings.

rob_writer

Apr 7, 2011
I don't have my tablet with me at the moment but I'll post the files tomorrow. I've never needed to upload files before - where is the easiest place?

EDIT - It appears I can post here for 1 hour, so if you're around I could do that.

Last edited:

clockworx

Apr 25, 2011
mediafire is usually pretty easy to post files on. I'm not on my dev machine at the moment, but mediafire means we wouldn't have to worry about syncing up the timing.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I'd like to see if I can help w/ the Market Development regardless. Any chance someone can pull /system/framework/framework.jar and /system/app/Settings.apk and host them somewhere? I'd like to see if there might be an easy way to re-enable Location/Security settings.

Welcome,

We're honored if you can assist us in anyway. Your brother will enjoy this device it has a lot of potential and is quite zippy once updated to DG2.20 (Froyo). The DG2.20 update does come with Gmail which does generate an AndroidID but as noted only free apps will display in Market and Location aware apps like Maps and Weather fail.

After using apktool to disassemble the framwork.jar, I attempted using one of your methods described here - [DEV][PATCH] AndroidID for gapps (patched framework.jar) || Firmware 1.1.0 - xda-developers but failed with these results.

Code:
$ patch -p0 -E < TelephonyManager.patch
patching file TelephonyManager.smali
Hunk #1 succeeded at 84 (offset 2 lines).
Hunk #2 FAILED at 691.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 1164.
2 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file TelephonyManager.smali.rej

Last edited:

clockworx

Apr 25, 2011
The patching will fail because it only patches against a specific revision of the file. I'm sure the one on this tablet is slightly different in some way.

I could easily do a non-ugly hack, but it sounds like you guys are doing ok with the gmail workaround anyways. I was going to look more into the locations issue and only free apps showing up in the market.

novadar

Mar 26, 2011
I see that I was mistaken now:

Even though the software is open-source, device manufacturers can not use Google's Android trademark unless Google certifies that the device complies with their Compatibility Definition Document (CDD). Devices must also meet this definition to be eligible to license Google's closed-source applications, including Android Market.

Egg on my face, partially at least.

rob_writer

Apr 7, 2011
If you want to get technical, he is correct. The Google Apps are licensed by Google to devices which Google deems appropriate. (which is how Google got them removed from the Augen Gentouch)

ANYWAYS....I picked up one of these for my little brother, but won't get it til Friday. I'd like to see if I can help w/ the Market Development regardless. Any chance someone can pull /system/framework/framework.jar and /system/app/Settings.apk and host them somewhere? I'd like to see if there might be an easy way to re-enable Location/Security settings.

You should find them at discofroyofiles.zip

I'm interested to learn about how Android works, so if there's anywhere I can read about this stuff I'd appreciate the link!

clockworx

Apr 25, 2011
I'll be sure to toss in any information that is useful (or even if it isn't useful, if it helps people learn!). The first step will probably be looking at logcat to see if there's any messages that stick out regarding "Location". Has anyone taken a shot at that yet?

Next, I'll be looking at decompiled Settings.apk and framework.jar (I think Location stuff is in the jar, but not 100% sure) and comparing them to stock versions to see if anything sticks out. It might also be possible to see if Location can be enabled via changing a db setting behind the scenes if all else fails.

If anyone else wants to jump on any of those before I get a chance to, feel free!