Members Personal Reviews on AuGen Gentouch78

conradb212

Aug 29, 2010
We just finished and posted a full review of the GenTouch, with emphasis on where Android stands as a potential platform of choice for upcoming tablets. This is a big question in vertical and industrial markets that often require tablets, and up to now predominantly used Windows CE/Window Mobile in handhelds and the XP Tablet PC Edition in tablets.

The full review is here: The Augen Gentouch78 Android tablet -- What it is, and what it isn't

And here's the last section:

Bottom line for the Augen GenTouch78

So there, that's the scoop on the Augen GenTouch78. It's really a curious product. You get some very good stuff (like the excellent 7-inch display, good performance, big battery, powerful software, etc.) in a very inexpensive device that may well be one of the early trailblazers in an emerging Android tablet market. This little tablet does an awful lot, and it does it better than any of the old Pocket PCs ever did.

Problem is, it's running a potentially very important OS on a tablet at a time where that OS is still mostly implemented only on phones, it's doing so with apparently a cold attitude from Google, and the inexpensive hardware, while not inelegant, cannot possibly be as polished as what comes out of Apple.

Augen's biggest problem with the GenTouch is that it looks so much like a little iPad that people will invariable pick it up and try to use it like an iPad, swiping, dragging, pinching, which is exactly what it cannot do.

The name, GenTouch, also doesn't help as this is NOT a natural touch device. You operate it with a stylus, like a PDA, and Android really wants touch.

Augen is absolutely to be congratulated to even embark on this project. Yes, it needs a capacitive touch screen. Yes, cheap hardware can only do so much. Yes, a small staff will be very hard pressed to truly make a new OS work on it, and provide the help and support a product like this will require. But Augen showed it can be done, and I am really glad they did it.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Interesting review, but again this tablet can't be compared with iPad you got two different type of system and OS. iPad uses iOS based on the iPhone OS and then you got AuGen Gentouch78 like all Android OS based on Smartphone (cell phone Android OS). None of these two OS are true tablet OS. So yes the iPad has more to offer, 9.7" VIS compared to 7" VIS. Both come with stylus pen type or wand. I still use my finger on the Gentouch78 since that's the point of touchscreen.

The old PDAs from the base Apple and Texas Instrument AVIGO both had touchscreen but they required a stylus pen to be use. Backlite LCD and not color at the time. They were very popular and I still have my AVIGO today and it still works fine. But you can't compare that to Gentouch78 either.

47286_427908967948_579882948_5075450_1379526_n.jpg

Left: AVIGO, Gome Flytouch (rooted with Home++ this one is more of clone to iPad look), AuGen Gentouch78 (rooted with Home++)

Note: Let me take it back that the touchscreen (touchpad) on the AVIGO is truth touchscreen I can use my finger on it to change screens and draw images and letters. Uses Infra Red to Sync or Serial Port Dock to PC

As you can the Gome Flytouch is made to look like a iPad but one of those smaller size versions that suppose to be coming out later this year or next from Apple new VIS 5", 6", 7". I know your review is not based on Rooting these devices so what you see on the screen is not the standard OEM features. Both use the Android OS as one is still on the v1.6 and the other Gentouch78 v2.1 as you know. Still out of the two Gentouch78 holds more in value and sure the Flytouch is more featured like shown below:

40272_422613372948_579882948_4940483_589094_n.jpg

Here in this image above shows you how the LAN port, 2x USB ports can be used with Jump USB drive and WD Passport 250GB USB HDD. But it can power both USB devices and be on a wired 10/100 Ehternet connect to the LAN and WAN at the same time. Using a 4-port USB Hub on Gentouch78 could be use the same. I haven't tested that out yet as it might not work? Flytouch has Cam, Mic and 3G where the Gentouch78 doesn't have those features. So these two can't be compared only the speed and performance could be compared.

Gentouch78 is in my opinion a very good tablet for the price it's a bargain by any means. Just to have a device that can go wireless, get on the internet view videos, read online book, listen to music and look at pictures is a plus. For people like myself who's in the IT Business of Networking, this device can be use for sniffing out wireless APNs and such. It has a lot going for it.

Last edited:

braveit1

Jul 29, 2010
The old PDAs from the base Apple and Texas Instrument AVIGO both had touchscreen but they required a stylus pen to be use. Backlite LCD and not color at the time. They were very popular and I still have my AVIGO today and it still works fine. But you can't compare that to Gentouch78 either.
lol. I still have my AVIGO as well. :) Also have a Handspring Visor and a HP IPAQ!

Last edited:

SiXes

Aug 25, 2010
I may try to pick one of these up since they're so cheap until I can get a better one. Thanks for the info. :)

onihiro

Aug 27, 2010
oh i loved my Handspring Visor it was da §h!t i wish i still have it. only pda i have now is 2 not 1 but 2 Palm V's

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
lol. I still have my AVIGO as well. :) Also have a Handspring Visor and a HP IPAQ!

Cool you have AVIGO also it's heavy but still works, just two AAA batteries or rechargeable SANYO and CRxxx battery for backup. I also had Palm V but that internal battery died! :(

braveit1

Jul 29, 2010
OT but,
Cool you have AVIGO also it's heavy but still works, just two AAA batteries or rechargeable SANYO and CRxxx battery for backup. I also had Palm V but that internal battery died! :(
Handspring was the first device that had external storage with the springboard modules. Had Smartmedia card in a springboard module. I also have the modem and a GPS that was almost as big as the PDA.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
OT but,

Handspring was the first device that had external storage with the springboard modules. Had Smartmedia card in a springboard module. I also have the modem and a GPS that was almost as big as the PDA.

If it still works keep it. AVIGO had memory add on for it. I never bothered for the Pocket PC running Windows CE was way over priced handled devices. I did support them for clients though. RIMs (Blackberry) had taken over that market.

conradb212

Aug 29, 2010
Perhaps this could be discussed in a separate Avigo thread if that is of interest. I had hoped this thread would provide some feedback on the very detailed review we conducted on the GenTouch (see here) and the questions we raised.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Perhaps this could be discussed in a separate Avigo thread if that is of interest. I had hoped this thread would provide some feedback on the very detailed review we conducted on the GenTouch (see here) and the questions we raised.

PDA with stylus comparison to Gentouch78 touchscreen with stylus was made by OP that's why I had introduce it with AVIGO touchpad (touchscreeen /stylus). Again reviews need to omit iPAD as this is no where near a iPAD. I would suggest reviewers who own the iTouch to compare both if they want? This is easy to use PC tablet device with touchscreen or touchpad (stylus pen) running Android OS (aOS) Smart Cell Phone OS without the phone features. I am fine with it! To much negative cons against low price consumer good. Pro that is not so complex to use. Price is right for most everyone compared to $499 and up for iPad. iTouch is 3.5" cost used (factory re-serviced) $129 to $149 or new $195 for 8GB, or 32GB is more like $249 and that's more than Gentouch78 7" brand spanking new at $149 to $169. But at lease with the Gentouch78 you can expand your storage with external memory card. Can't do that with iTouch or iPad. Your stuck with whatever Storage is available for it. Rooted Gentouch offers more and I am sure the online community will improve the ROM if the OEM won't do it so quickly. Anyway that's about it time to go surfing on my Gentouch78. :)

Last edited: