Modding Launcher2.apk using apktool

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I have downloaded and installed apktool trying to mod stock Launcher to show 5x5 icons, then I installed framework-res.apk. I was able to unpack, edit the XML files needed (at least I think so lol) and rebuild Launcher2.apk, but when I try to used it it never loads. Any tips? Thanks

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
you either need to re-sign it or use the original apk and open it using 7zip and drop in the changed files....ppcgeeks has a apk signer

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I thought it'd be already signed since I have unpacked the original apk... I will try signing it, thanks!

nefirim

Developer
Sep 10, 2011
you might want to look into Apk manager, its a script that uses apktool to decompile APKs but will also can be used to sign apks once they're compiled again

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Thank you, guys. This did the trick. I've used ZipSigner 2 with "auto-testkey", it's the correct setting?

I could not install it over the old one, but deleting stock and copying, killed Launcher and it worked.

Stock Gingerbread 2.3 Launcher with 5x5 Workspace:
Launcher2 - Minus.com

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Anyone tested the Launcher in the stock Gingerbread theme? All icons are rotated normally when you go from landscape to portrait and vice-versa?

This doesn't work in the HC theme Launcher: I can display as many icons as I want but as soon as I rotate the tablet, only the first 4x4 icons stay, all others vanish... Any ideas?

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
so... my kyros didnt like just swapping out the Launcher2.apk like that. it locked up on me with a black screen and I had to reset it. then it would not load past the boot animation. took FOREVER!>!>!! like over 2 mins. so....

I swapped it out in the firmware packet, and then reloaded it. also threw in some Titanium backup apk, the latest market and now...so far, it works well. I get 5 across apps both directions when I turn the screen....

Edit.. I lied. that 5th row vanishes. also, dont put any below them either.. they vanish too....

that said, I do like the fact that they are tighter together. looks better.. just some extra space on the backgrounds.

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Thanks! So it doesn't work (extra icons vanish), right? Then I think it's not useful, too bad... =(

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
Nope. But it still makes them closer together....

Sent from my rooted, baked, Gingerbread rocking Kyros MID1024