My Ultimate NookColor Stand...

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
My 3D model print will be complete tonight at 3:08AM.. WOOHOO! If all goes well, my Nook will be sitting in the thing by 8:00AM.. Getting closer!

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Indeed I do. It's a Connex 350 which has the ability to print plastic and rubber on the same model. So the rubber pads on my model will actually be rubber. Awesome, ehh?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Can't wait to see some pics with the nook

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
The stand is out of the printer and it's just as cool as I'd hoped. The printer uses a wax-like support material during the build process, so I'm still trying to get it all cleaned off.. I did get it clean enough to try with my NC, and the fit is exactly what I'd hoped for. Works great portrait, works great landscape, and doesn't block the screen at all in either direction.

$0128010816.jpg

$0128010817.jpg

There are a couple minor issues I'll be addressing -- such as making the cable hole/channel big enough to handle a wider plug, ala the iPad -- but overall I'm very pleased with how this turned out. The weight is right and the stability is perfect. Even without the cord plugged in, you can't tip it over without doing something really stupid to try.

Awesome =)

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
It looks great, good job

Sent from my incredible using Android Tablet Forum

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Man that looks good, I want one. :)

"Sir, here is a check with my name on it. Write down any number on this piece of paper and I will pay it."
-Peter Griffin

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
rico, considering the prototypes cost about $150 each to print, you might not want to hand me a blank check... I used it to watch Avatar during lunch.. It was sweet. hahaha

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Just an FYI.. A guy here in the office has an iPad, and he brought it by to do a test fit.. Fits like a glove. He has requested one with a custom logo on the front. I'll have to make a slightly larger cable hole, but it should be pretty cool.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Well $150 is too rich for my blood but again, great idea and hope it become a mass production reality. On a side note: I'd really love to have some way to mount the NC in my car.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Isn't the ipad significantly thicker? I am a little surprised it fits. I had the thought that it would be cool to have the n light up with a multi colored led behind it.

Too bad that could never be in a retail model.

Sent from my rooted Nook Color using Android Tablet Forum App

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Isn't the ipad significantly thicker? I am a little surprised it fits. I had the thought that it would be cool to have the n light up with a multi colored led behind it.

Too bad that could never be in a retail model.

Sent from my rooted Nook Color using Android Tablet Forum App

Actually, that'd be easy to do.. The cord lights up, so all you'd have to do is use a transparent material for the N and open it up to let the cord light shine through. It wouldn't be amazingly bright, but it would light it up.

And no, the iPad is just a bit thicker. It's about 15mm, which is about 0.600".. The NC is about 0.500".

bsharp914

Mar 20, 2012
Yours is elegant and looks great- but I prefer my version, which is tad more....artistic.:D

$nook stand.JPG

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yours is elegant and looks great- but I prefer my version, which is tad more....artistic.:D

What is your version? Do you have pictures? I still think the original stand of this article would be great to have if it wasn't a one-off.