New Member & New to Android

Taydui

Aug 31, 2014
Hello all .
I'm looking to buy my wife a tablet for her birthday coming up, I spotted a couple of Samsung tablets 3 model # SM-T315 (8") and SM-T217S (7") . My question is can I buy the pre-paid SIM card to use with these ? (for internet purpose since my wife reads eBooks online alot ) Any inputs are much appreciated

Jeffrey

Super Moderator
Jul 27, 2014
Welcome to the Forum Taydui.

If you buy a tablet that has a sim slot, there is no reason you could not use a prepaid sim.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Taydui, welcome to the forum. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets.

Taydui

Aug 31, 2014
I just bought a Samsung SM-T217S from a guy on Craiglist - He left the Sprint SIM card in the unit , I called Sprint to find out if everything is OK , turned out the guy didn't pay his bills so no way I can activate this unit with Sprint...I also updated the software to 4.4.2 Kit Kat , still playing with it to get used to Android !

Jeffrey

Super Moderator
Jul 27, 2014
You may have a problem activating it on any carrier if Sprint reported the ESN and they probably did.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Nice to know they'll block your phone for not paying them, but if someone beats the crap out of you and steals your $500.00 phone it's not a problem getting it activated.:mad:

Taydui

Aug 31, 2014
Well , I sold the bad ESN tablet on ebay and bought a brand new T-mobile tablet 3 . Still getting to know the Android world . This morning I called Tmobile and activated the SIM card , they also given me a phone number for this SIM card to be used on the tablet....this is another new thing to me. Does this mean I can make a call or send text from the tablet ? By the way , Tmobile has a promotion on adding a tablet to your voice plan , $10 monthly charge , no contract and up to 10GB of data.

Jeffrey

Super Moderator
Jul 27, 2014
The plan allows you to send/receive messages and browse the net using TMO's data plan.

Taydui

Aug 31, 2014
Does that mean I can text someone on the tablet ? What's the text app calls ? I don't see it on my tablet. By the way , is there a "thanks" button on this forum ? Thanks Jeffrey

Taydui

Aug 31, 2014
Never mind about the text app's name. I found it ! Still confusing between iOS & Android terminologies

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
There are several texting apps on the Market: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=texting apps&c=apps

Also
You can can send a text message to a cell phone from your tablet/desktop/laptop by sending it as a text only email to PhoneNumber@SMSEmailAddress. (No special app, no 3G/4G, wired/wireless.) Just use your regular email program and contact list. (The subject is counted in the 160 character limit.) If they reply, the reply will arrive in your email. You have to know the phone number and the SMS Email Address of the carrier used by the other party. The SMS Email Addresses of many carriers, including Canadian and International, are listed here: http://www.emailtextmessages.com/