new s7 slim

RoyEP3

Feb 3, 2011
They got rid of the kickstand? Nooooooo! :(

According to this website, it says there is a built in kickstand.

http://www.latest-price.com/cameras-electronics-gadgets/huawei-ideos-s7-slim-tablet-reviews/

But that is the only website I can find that even mentions a kickstand as a feature for the S7 slim. It also doesn't look like that metal trim piece is able to lift up to be used as a kickstand based on these pics:

huaweis7handson11.jpg

huaweis7handson19-1297678391.jpg

So my guess is that the S7 slim got rid of the kickstand.

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
Problem is the camera is built in to that metal piece, so I think it would be hard to have that come out and be a kick stand as well. Also there was another picture that showed the battery cover basically sliding under that metal piece to lock in.

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
if u look carefully there seems to be some space between the metal and the rest of the tablet, otherwise it would seem their specs on a stand are wrong..

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Well, if there is no built-in kickstand, then just get a $3 wireframe folding plate easel to pack along easily. 2 pieces of heavy wire, each 3 sides of a rectangle joined at the open ends by a friction hinge on each side, one of the pieces with a "lip" for resting the tablet, and coated with a thick cushiony plastic covering - simple, but functional. Been working for me with a number of tablets, and it lets them be placed in either portrait or landscape orientation, which is better than the fixed orientation of built-in kickstands like the S7 and Archos units (although some of Archos' with rounded ends are not so stable on those ends).

FWIW

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
The kickstand is a nice add on. It is nice when you go out to dinner and the two year old needs something to entertain her to pull out the S7 turn on one of the Dora's that I have put on there pull out the kick stand and let her watch it. Also on a three hour flight from KC to LA it is nice to plug in the headphones, pull down the tray, pop out the kickstand and watch one of the 15 movies that I have on it. I would not want to have to deal with having to carry around something else around to do this. Now would I have still bought the S7 without the kickstand...yes, but I have really come to like it.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
The kickstand is a nice add on. It is nice when you go out to dinner and the two year old needs something to entertain her to pull out the S7 turn on one of the Dora's that I have put on there pull out the kick stand and let her watch it. Also on a three hour flight from KC to LA it is nice to plug in the headphones, pull down the tray, pop out the kickstand and watch one of the 15 movies that I have on it. I would not want to have to deal with having to carry around something else around to do this. Now would I have still bought the S7 without the kickstand...yes, but I have really come to like it.

Understood - I appreciate the kickstand on my Archos 5, but I was just proposing a viable, cheap alternative to the lack of kickstand altogether. If you are carrying along headphones, then one more little bit of gear to pack is all this amounts to. Check out the plate easels at a crafts store like Michael's or AC Moore. the wire frame types are very minimal in terms of packing along - just a rectangle of heavy plastic-coated wire hinged in the middle in essence. Fold it flat/in half, and it can often "cradle" the tablet inside its case.

Just a thought...

KenjiBeast

Mar 22, 2011
So does anybody know if this thing is just going to be available at Best Buy, like the original S7? I really, really want one.

KenjiBeast

Mar 22, 2011
I doubt that it is. Huawei would have advertised it as a feature in their videos. Instead it was propped up on some other external stand.

Yeah it's not a deal-breaker, by any means, I'm just a little disappointed they scrapped such a nice feature of the original. I'm really looking forward to seeing the proper release information. If it's as good as it's looking right now, it ought to completely blow the viewpad 7 (imho it's most direct competitor) out of the water.

JDubTrey

Feb 20, 2011
So does anybody know if this thing is just going to be available at Best Buy, like the original S7? I really, really want one.

I always thought so until today, when BestBuy announced they would be carrying the wifi version of the HTC tablet. They could still carry the slim but.......

Last edited:

KenjiBeast

Mar 22, 2011
I always thought so until today, when BestBuy announced they would be carrying the wifi version of the HTC tablet. They could still carry the slim but.......

I really don't think the HTC and the S7 are in the same sort of price range, although that is a bit disconcerting of a development. I really hope one major retailer or another ends up picking up the device, I hate ebay dealers ><